• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dedicated BBQ deck build

ttkt57

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Housing prices have gone through the roof up here in the Boise area, and it's put the brakes on our plans to buy our final nest this summer. We sized way down when the kids moved out and we moved here from South Dakota, and it was fine until they got married and moved here too! Anyway, for the time being since there are so many mouths at cook outs now, this means building a dedicated BBQ deck in the corner of the side yard to make room for a bigger table on our small patio. I don't know if this is the best place to begin posting pictures, but my idea is that y'all will keep me accountable if I share the whole story as it progresses toward completion as my BBQ Command Center.

Here's the first picture. I'll update as I add stuff.

In for the progress pics. I’m not very talented in this area and like to see how others do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sq Drive SS construction screws and an impact driver will make the work go faster. 3” and 15/8” ought to handle most anytime you will need to handle with your framing. Predrill on the 3” helps too.

Sq Drive SS construction screws and an impact driver will make the work go faster. 3” and 15/8” ought to handle most anytime you will need to handle with your framing. Predrill on the 3” helps too.

Thanks for the tip! I finished a basement years ago (framing, electrical, bathroom, drywall, hanging doors, etc.) so I'm not a total novice. Still, I'm eager for suggestions from any of y'all with more experience.

I got these to attach the joists to the ledger. I'm not using them to attach the hangers to the ledger because I want the joists to butt up tighter.

Nice looking project.Just be glad they moved to the same area and not back into your house.Lotsa time kids leave and then return with others in tow. Adding a larger place to feed them is a good thing.So long as they leave after the meal.:thumb:

Nice looking project.Just be glad they moved to the same area and not back into your house.Lotsa time kids leave and then return with others in tow. Adding a larger place to feed them is a good thing.So long as they leave after the meal.:thumb:

Ha! Actually, to my son's credit, he bought the brisket and the beer for this weekend's cook. Not sure who made him that way. Definitely not me. Either his mom or the Marine Corps.

I know what you mean.The Army had that effect on my son.I tried to raise him to be self sufficient,they just finished the job for me. Between us both,he turned out to be a fine young man in my eyes.Now that daughter is a sweet girl but her momma spoiled her.I love em both and that Grandson the daughter has makes her tolerable. :laugh:

I'm in my mid 60s now so I'm trying to do as much of this as I can standing up. When I was younger I would have gotten down on my knees and used a hand drill for these pilot holes. Not anymore!

I'm in my mid 60s now so I'm trying to do as much of this as I can standing up. When I was younger I would have gotten down on my knees and used a hand drill for these pilot holes. Not anymore!

What’s the point of having a fun toy like a drill press if you don’t use it? I’d use that no matter how able bodied I was!

Nice!! Looking forward.

Nothing better than building it yourself. Mine took three months to build during the 2009 mortgage bubble burst. I was unemployed, fresh divorced and lost my business during that recession. When life you gives you lemons you know what you have to do. :becky: Bored out of my arse I started building a bbq kitchen so I don't go crazy.

Absolutely zero skills in building anything but I hand insight. My bro and dad helped me some on the weekends but I did most of it. Had the frame custom made, electrical was done by a good buddy of mine and the granite top by another. That's it. All the rest was me including tiling up the patio. Again no experience at all. I think I did ok. Still in the same shape as 12 years ago.

My only advice would be to go a little bigger than you think you need especially if you're going to be cooking for family and friends a lot. I went a little smaller but by frame builder to go a few feet longer. God bless his soul (no longer with us) because I thank him every time I use the island and couldn't imagine having it at my original dimension.

0MU1SVb.jpg

Sound system and everything for hosting parties

DWNflK8.jpg

Hardiebacker boards

LjLHgdx.jpg

20120822_185511.jpg

Of course with a kegerator :-D

2010-10-09_18-13-46_771.jpg

Back