• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket & Pastrami Butt for Sunday

I have a few threads and this one batch I did. I use cure 1 and my ratio of water/salt/cure/brown sugar is simply what Meathead does. I pretty much wing my "pickling spice" ratio eat time :crazy:.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=283025

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/home-made-corned-beef-recipe

I'll typically inject 10% of weight and then give it another 6'ish days in the drink.

Thanks for the info, I missed the thread from last June. I realize there will be pastrami surface seasonings, and the cure will add pinkness.... but does the Porkstrami texture lean toward ham, or does a higher internal temp change that?

Good on you for getting the kiddo involved. My daughter likes it when "we" smoke meat. In her defense, she spends a little bit of time outside with me at the pit.

I like that biscuit creation. A kolache, perhaps? A runza? Depending what part of the country you hail from?

Thanks for the info, I missed the thread from last June. I realize there will be pastrami surface seasonings, and the cure will add pinkness.... but does the Porkstrami texture lean toward ham, or does a higher internal temp change that?

It kind of a fun balance of normal pulled pork with a "ham" flavor. Not full ham, but like ham......and like you eluded to that is probably because of the higher finish temp. I mix in a little extra seasoning at the end into the pulled.

Fun spin on the normal stuff.

I've only made "porkstrami" once, more or less following Jason's recipe, but the texture for me was definitely more towards regular pulled pork with the salty pastrami taste. It was VERY good.

And Jason, you're a mad scientist genius cook. Brisket biscuit burritos (gotta come up with a name for those)? freakin' amazing.

I've only made "porkstrami" once, more or less following Jason's recipe, but the texture for me was definitely more towards regular pulled pork with the salty pastrami taste. It was VERY good.

And Jason, you're a mad scientist genius cook. Brisket biscuit burritos (gotta come up with a name for those)? freakin' amazing.

Most of our weekday meals are simply "what's leftover from the weekend and what can I toss it into so stuff doesn't go to waste". Those biscuits were only about a week expired on the package, but seemed good enough to put leftover food into :becky:

Most of our weekday meals are simply "what's leftover from the weekend and what can I toss it into so stuff doesn't go to waste". Those biscuits were only about a week expired on the package, but seemed good enough to put leftover food into :becky:

As long as the can hasn't exploded, they're still good in my book.

Back