MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-22-2013, 02:31 PM   #1
T G
Found some matches.

Default newbie comp question

So I just registered for my first bbq competition, it's a local deal that benefits the local Firefighters Union. I paid for a 10x10 spot, since Im only using one drum, and Im a team of one. This competition, for the most part, follows KCBS rules, but Im wondering what the verdict is on having my cooker outside that 10x10 area, like behind it where there's nothing but a perimeter fence behind me. Does KCBS allow something like that? I know it's up to the local promoter, but it doesn't hurt to know for future reference.

I don't foresee it being an issue, as far as needing to be outside that 10x10, because Im using one UDS to cook with (pork, ribs, and chicken) I just want to be sure Im clear on the rules.
T G is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

Typically in KCBS, it's going to be the promoter's call. Usually they don't get too bent out of shape unless you're encroaching on your neighbor's space or you're blocking a route for emergency vehicles.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #3
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outnumbered View Post
Typically in KCBS, it's going to be the promoter's call. Usually they don't get too bent out of shape unless you're encroaching on your neighbor's space or you're blocking a route for emergency vehicles.

^^^This

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #4
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd double check with the organizer before you get there that it will be fine. I'm guessing it will be, but better to know ahead of time.

Old 03-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
John Bowen
is Blowin Smoke!

It sounds to me that there will be more than you with that issue - I mean if they are all 10x10 spots.
John Bowen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #6
hamiltont
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : hamiltont

10x10 is pretty tiny. 10x20 is more the norm. At least around here it is.. I'd have a real time trying to squeeze in a 10x10 area. Good luck! Hope you get your name called!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
T G
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowen View Post
It sounds to me that there will be more than you with that issue - I mean if they are all 10x10 spots.
nah, there are only like 15 of these 10x10 spots, the rest are 20x20 or RV spots.

One thing I didn't think about, sleeping arangements in a 10x10 spot when Im 6'2"

Old 03-23-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

10x10 is reallly too small for any overnight contest. You could probably get by with it for a daylight grilling event featuring only a couple meats, but if they know enough to be aware of KCBS rules the organizers should be educated enough to realize a ten foot square isn't going to accommodate most participants.

Of course if it's the first time around, this event will be very educational!
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

As long as your neighbors are cool you will be fine. Most bbq teams are good people. And work with each other. I've never had a problem with someone grabbing an extra few feet of mine, nor have I ran into an. Organizer that would care if you used an area that wasn't a walkway or emergency road. Just show up and do your thing. You. Will be fine.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 03:58 AM   #10
T G
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
10x10 is reallly too small for any overnight contest. You could probably get by with it for a daylight grilling event featuring only a couple meats, but if they know enough to be aware of KCBS rules the organizers should be educated enough to realize a ten foot square isn't going to accommodate most participants.

Of course if it's the first time around, this event will be very educational!
Its not technically an overnight contest, you can check in the day of the contest at 6 am, but I want to sleep there because 1) I want the full contest experience 2) I plan on starting at about 5 am for a 4 pm pork turn in and 3) I live an hour away and I would like to sleep the night prior. Most of the sites are much bigger than what I paid for, I just went cheap for my first one. The contest is only pork, ribs, and chicken.

They have two divisions, pro joe and average joe. The pro joe class sticks to the KCBS rules, the average class is really a "run what you brung" deal where the only rules are have enough for 6 judges, same turn in times, and you can do whatever you want with the turn in. There are too many variables for me to be comfortable with entering the average class, and I want to be kind of a purist about it.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #11
nthole
Babbling Farker

10x10 is reaaaally tiny. What others said, call and make sure. If you don't and you have to have the drum in your space and you planned on using a pop-up, you'll probably have a firefighter talking to you when he sees your fire underneath it!

As far as sleeping goes, if you are able to park nearby, you can always sleep in your vehicle.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote