MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #1
warrior0608
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default BGE, Primo, or Weber 330

ALCON,

This may seem blasphemous as this site seems to live and die via smoke, but I would like some help in choosing which of the three above items.

Problem: My grill (not barbecue) is about to die and I need a new one.

I use my grill predominantly for Steaks and Chicken. I do like to barbecue, but honestly it has been a few years. Regardless, Ribs would probably be the only food I would cook outside of my current. Also, I occasionally like to flash fry my steaks outside and make a pan sauce using the outside burner. I can't do it inside due to poor exhaust.

So, my issue is I WANT to try something new, but am unsure if I want to transfer to a pure barbecue vice grill. At this point, I can only afford one or the other.

I've heard GREAT things about the BGE, and yet it appears as if the Primo has a few better features (indirect and direct right out of the box, for example). But I'm obviously concerned about comments of the Primo being simply a lower quality knock off. I have a dealer next to me, so shipping costs are not an issue. Also, I would PROBABLY start off with a medium BGE or Primo Jr Oval.

Finally, I've read that ceramic cookers do NOT cook items like Steak very well due to the inability to create a mallard effect. Anybody have any news on this? If this is the case, I'm not sure if I still have a case against the 330...

Thanks!!! I appreciate in advance any help you can give me!!!
warrior0608 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

I sear steaks on ceramics with good results...never used any of the 3 your considering...good luck...

By the time this thread ends you will be told to build a UDS...
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
mbshop
Babbling Farker

just get the gasser and a weber kettle. yer covered !

Old 09-16-2013, 07:10 PM   #4
superlazy
is One Chatty Farker

I have 3 Weber gasser's and simply have to say that you will never find a better grill for the money.

Old 09-16-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
SimcoBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Primo is second to none in the ceramic category , nothing i can't do on it. Only ceramic made in the good ole US of A

Old 09-16-2013, 07:14 PM   #6
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Sazco

Please Google Sazco and then Japanese Kamado cookers. There is a lot of history in these type kamado cookers. They are not conveniently transported. Big AND heavy. Fantastic on a patio at a fixed location though. Dream to cook on.

Check Wikipedia for information on BGE.

Weber speaks for itself. Tried and true

Primo a cheap knockoff???? Speechless there. You must see something I don't. What I do see when I open the lid of my high quality ceramic Primo are the words "made in USA".

Build a UDS :-))

Last edited by 16Adams; 09-16-2013 at 07:29 PM..
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I don't think you could go wrong with any of them, but it really depends on how you use them. The Egg and the Primo will give you a lot of versatility, but will take a while to get started. The gasser will do a fine job on the steaks and give you the side burner and will be ready to go in a few minutes.

I think there is a lot to be said for the combo of the gasser and a kettle as an option

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #8
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

I love my large BGE Very versatile Does a Great job on steaks, chicken porkchops etc. I have smoke bacon at 150 and if fully loaded can easily get a 20-24 hr burn Does a great job smokeing butts, brisket and ribs Did a 20lb turkey that was awesome for T day
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 10:03 PM   #9
SimondsBBQ
Got Wood.

Love my big green egg. I've seen the primos and they don't seem as well made. IMO
I've been using a weed burner to start mine for the last five years. Temp 0-650-700 within 10 minutes. Does a GREAT job on steaks. My wife no longer orders steaks in restaurants...only wants mine. See you can save money this way.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
Fwismoker

Yea all are very nice...think the Bubba looks very cool.

It's not on your list but there is a UDS kit (Big Poppa) and it has a charcoal basket that lifts up to sear with. I sear my steaks well above 1000 degrees. I reverse sear my steaks in it and when you pull the basket up to sear it burst into flames hot as all get out! By far the best sear station i have ever used...and as a bonus its one hell of a smoker. Also an incredible chicken cooker.

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #11
DerHusker
Babbling Farker

I've got a Primo XL oval and love it.

Here's a link to the post when it arrived which will show you it's versatility.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=grillfriend

Old 09-16-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatCandy View Post
I sear steaks on ceramics with good results...never used any of the 3 your considering...good luck...

By the time this thread ends you will be told to build a UDS...
I would have disagreed with this prediction because normally UDS's dont sear. Except one does it incredibly well. Big Poppa

Old 09-16-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

Just build a UDS....
Ok jk. You need to buy based on what you want. If you are not concerned with BBQ, personally I would go with a gasser. Its easier, sears, gets the job done.

However, if you're even the least bit interested in smoking in the future, I would personally say BGE simply based on my experience with a few of my friends BGE. They can DEFINITELY give you a sear and color. You just have to know how to tune your fire.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:06 PM   #14
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffturnerjr View Post
Just build a UDS....
Ok jk. .
Jeff, i wouldn't kid. This is one hell of a UDS sear! LOL Those seared in less than 30 seconds a side...just got done smoking them.

thigh sear.jpg

thighs seared.jpg

Old 09-17-2013, 04:00 AM   #15
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I would go ceramic so that you can start experimenting with Q again. As for which one... I like the Primo. If you loose interest though, the BGE can be sold in a heartbeat.
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote