MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-02-2020, 07:42 PM   #1
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Poppy Pellet Pooper
Default Finally emptied my wallet and bought Carne Crosta

At $24/lb, This stuff is so expensive. I hope its worth it. Luckily Grocery store has a sale on choice Ribeye's for $5.99/lb. I'll make sure to pick up a few family packs before the powder gold arrives.

Someone post some pics of this stuff in action to ease the pain.
SmokeRingsMatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #2
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would have bought the ribeye sliced it up and marinated

Old 06-02-2020, 10:01 PM   #3
JWFokker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Anon

What do you think is in that rub? Gold dust? Ground coffee ain't worth $20/lb.
JWFokker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 06:19 AM   #4
PatAttack
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post
Then it's your choice not to buy it.

22" WSM
22" Weber Gold
Weber Smoky Joe
Weber Gasser
Rec-Tec 590
PatAttack is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-03-2020, 07:34 AM   #5
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWFokker View Post

I don't know what is in it, but i was amazed at the crust on some of the steaks i seen members post using this stuff. I could have bought a smaller amount, but $24/lb seemed like the best deal if i end up really liking it.

Wish someone would post up some pics. Im starting to get buyers remorse.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:51 AM   #6
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Good for you, hope you enjoy it as much as you are expecting. We all need to splruge once in a while. Keep us posted on your cook.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:00 AM   #7
gtsum
Babbling Farker

It is good stuff. Really needs the best to set the crust. Here are some

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #8
Eckie
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeRingsMatter View Post
.....Im starting to get buyers remorse.
I know what you mean. The few times I splurge and buy something like that, I hope that it's good enough that I'm happy and ok that I purchased it that time, but not so good that it makes me want to keep purchasing!
Eckie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 09:20 AM   #9
Mike in Roseville
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Oakridge makes great stuff. I highly recommend the sample packs for those deciding which ones to buy. I realized I loved Santa Maria and Secret Weapon. Dominator and Black Ops...not so much.
Mike in Roseville is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 10:22 AM   #10
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

My advice - more seasoning is better than less to properly develop the crust, the coating I apply on mine makes it so the meat is barely visible. Cook on higher heat, not nuclear, but whatever your grill takes to develop a nice Maillard reaction is where you should be. The steak will look black/burnt when properly done, and that's OK. When I use only CC on steak, I'll often apply a light finishing salt after cooking. It's not required, but CC isn't particularly salty and for my tastes I like just a bit more. Other times I'll mix CC with Santa Maria seasoning, in which case I don't apply a finishing salt.

Example

Last edited by sudsandswine; 06-03-2020 at 10:37 AM..
sudsandswine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 12:15 PM   #11
chingador
is One Chatty Farker

If a $20 bag of rub emptied my wallet, I would find a different hobby. But carne crosta is really good stuff.

Rec Tec 590 Stampede, Primo Oval XL, Weber 26" Kettle with Gabby Grills Santa Maria attachment. Lonestargrillz 42" pellet grill on order.
chingador is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #12
SmokeRingsMatter
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingador View Post
If a $20 bag of rub emptied my wallet, I would find a different hobby. But carne crosta is really good stuff.

Its just an old saying when something cost more then YOU (me) think it should. Like i said, if guys like @sudsandswine didn't post pics like that, i wouldn't have even considered paying $24/lb but with pics like that, i have to try it....at least....once.

I can't imagine how much it would cost to coat an entire 15lb+ packer in this stuff....it prolly cost more then the packer, lol.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #13
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/a...1&d=1540438280
Sometimes you just gotta go for it! This was my first order.
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-03-2020, 12:33 PM   #14
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Even a smaller bag of CC lasts me quite a while, because I am typically only seasoning a couple steaks at a time which still uses less rub than doing something like a pork butt or brisket. I buy the 1lb bags now because I like to give handouts to people to try, but it'll keep for quite a while in the bags Oakridge uses provided you don't abuse it too badly.

My advice is to find a nicely marbled ribeye for your first go with it, I think it compliments fattier/richer beef especially well. I've used it on strips, filets, etc and it works great there too.

Old 06-03-2020, 12:45 PM   #15
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I don't care what the Oakridge folks charge for the Carne Crosta: its some seriously good rub for a great crust on a steak. I don't remember what I paid but I have bought it directly from the Oakridge folks via the mail and I found it at my local BBQ supply store and have bought it there too.

I am a value oriented person. If the value is there, I'm all in. Carne Crosta is outstanding on steak. That's enough for me.
Yoder YS640 Smoker on an [COLOR=DarkOrange]Orange[/COLOR] Competition Cart | Large BGE | Thermopro TP20 Dual Probe [COLOR=darkorange](Orange) [/COLOR] | Thermapen MK4 (in[COLOR=darkorange] ORANGE[/COLOR], what else?) |
Bucknekked is offline   Reply With Quote