Pork Brisket?

Dweverett

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
A friend sent me a text that Porter Road had accidentally sent him pork briskets vs the tenderloins that he ordered. Apparently a number of them are coming my way tomorrow.

I guess I’m not surprised that a pig has those muscles but I’ve never heard of the brisket being separated and sold — nor for that matter am I sure what cut its usually a part of.

Any suggestions on what to do with them? I’m guessing it would be fine for pulled pork. Not sure if I should cook to a lower temp and cut slices????

Not much help on what to do with them, but I would imagine treating them like a butt and pulling would probably work well.

I would be curious to see a cook thread with some pictures of what you end up doing with it though.

I’ve done a few and you can treat them just like a brisket. They’re fantastic! Dead broke bbq just did one and his bark turned out shockingly good, better than mine have that’s for sure…

Not much help on what to do with them, but I would imagine treating them like a butt and pulling would probably work well.

I would be curious to see a cook thread with some pictures of what you end up doing with it though.

Well, I now have five of them so will try to take some pics when I try some :-D

I’ve done a few and you can treat them just like a brisket. They’re fantastic! Dead broke bbq just did one and his bark turned out shockingly good, better than mine have that’s for sure…

In terms of temp, probing when tender etc., or seasoning? I usually go sweeter with pork butts than beef brisket.

A friend sent me a text that Porter Road had accidentally sent him pork briskets vs the tenderloins that he ordered. Apparently a number of them are coming my way tomorrow.

I guess I’m not surprised that a pig has those muscles but I’ve never heard of the brisket being separated and sold — nor for that matter am I sure what cut its usually a part of.

Any suggestions on what to do with them? I’m guessing it would be fine for pulled pork. Not sure if I should cook to a lower temp and cut slices????
You are right about slicing them,slice them into bacon since that's what they are commonly used as. Waaaay too much fat for pulled pork. Your friend was cheated,pork belly sell's far cheaper than loin which is most expensive cut of pork.

You are right about slicing them,slice them into bacon since that's what they are commonly used as. Waaaay too much fat for pulled pork. Your friend was cheated,pork belly sell's far cheaper than loin which is most expensive cut of pork.

No, my friend is fine. They still sent him the tenderloins he ordered so the briskets didn’t cost anything.

Pork briskets are great. I’ve cooked a bunch of them. Super easy and you can have some fun with seasonings and flavors.
I smoke them around 250-275deg until IT ~200deg, basically probe tender. I prefer not to wrap. You clan glaze like you would for ribs at the end of the cook. Then slice like you would a brisket. Really yummy!
Not sure this link will work but here is a quick vid of a pork brisket I did the other week ..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBUOeVjUhE&feature=youtu.be

Pork briskets are great. I’ve cooked a bunch of them. Super easy and you can have some fun with seasonings and flavors.
I smoke them around 250-275deg until IT ~200deg, basically probe tender. I prefer not to wrap. You clan glaze like you would for ribs at the end of the cook. Then slice like you would a brisket. Really yummy!
Not sure this link will work but here is a quick vid of a pork brisket I did the other week ..
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6PBUOeVjUhE&feature=youtu.be

Wow, that looked great! Looking forward to trying one. I should have pulled one and started letting it thaw when I picked them up so I could try it tomorrow.

I live in a small southern Missouri town, but now I am not going to have to try and see if I can find a pork brisket. Or get a picnic and try to trim it to be similar?

Thawed a couple to make for dinner tonight but I have some sort of cold going on so didn’t end up having friends over. Wasn’t my best effort — though I ended up with solidly mediocre brisket which is something I’ve done many times with a normal brisket regardless of how much attention I paid to it.

Anyway, seasoned one with Oakridge SPOGOS and the other with Secret Weapon. They were cut very different with the SPOGOS one having a much more defined “point”.

2022012319224839-4521064207036273933-IMG_6329-XL.jpg

Ironically, I think the smaller one was a little under done and the larger a little over.

2022012319224839-7965270967707805729-IMG_6334-XL.jpg

I don’t think Aaron Franklin should be looking at making the switch to pork based on my effort but still decent eats.

Thanks for posting your cook. Your pig brisket looks great, I’m gonna search for one at my local stores.

Back