• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What causes the stall to continue AFTER wrapping?

Gary_C

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Here's what happened: I recently got a Billows from Thermoworks and I've had issues with it, mostly because using it requires slightly different approaches. But on this use, it worked as advertized. It got me to my 225° and it stayed there like a pro.

When I got to the stall (I was cooking a chuck roast), that sat for about 45 minutes with a raise of 1° I went and wrapped it in butcher paper as I've always done but then nothing happened. The stall just continued. Finally, after two hours (and a raise of 5° followed by tapering off to flat again), my wife and I agreed that we might as well just eat it.

The smoke ring was to die for, the taste was excellent, but as you'd expect, it was not fall-apart tender.

Always always always, after wrapping from a stall, the temp starts to rise and things work out fine. I've done this with briskets, dinosour ribs, and chuck roast. This would not get out of the stall and I can't see how the Billows caused this. But did it??

More details: I'm using the WSM, 22", using Jealous Devil charcoal, Billows (as mentioned) and Signals thermometer reading. The chuck roast was about 3.5 lbs.

The stall or plateau or whatever you call it.... is different in each type of muscle meat that needs long cooking times. So, we're talking brisket, short ribs, both pork shoulder roasts, beef shoulder roasts, beef cheeks, oxtail, shanks of all kinds, etc.

If you want to use your wrap to blow through the stall, wrap it a little before, so everything can build up steam, so to speak. If you want to use wrap for moistness, tenderness or to hold down the smokiness.... wait for the early signs of the stall.

Hi Gang,

Thanks for the thoughts, and sharing your experience. I do appreciate.

If nothing else, I've only done one chuck roast before this one and the first one I was having lots of problems with Billows. This one, Billows worked great, but then I had the stall that would not end. I've done briskets and dinosour ribs with no problems after I wrapped. Too early, too late. I thought maybe it was the chuck roast. It's still a quandary.

I think I need to go back to brisketts again and see how that works out. At least I've had good experience with then.

Again thanks!

Your fortunate. Sometimes the temp actually goes backwards at the stall and lowers. It’s all the cause of not enough heat (horse power) to push over the stall. Cook at a higher temp. Nothing at all magical about 225* in fact I have found 250-270* much more predictable.

I take chuckies to 207, I’m usually at 275 at that point of the cook. Then I lower the pit to 225 and cook another hour keeping the IT over 200. The meat was at fault, not the billows. I can adjust temps easily with the pellet grill, but you can use the oven too after wrapping, you’re not adding any more smoke anyway. I usually wrap around 170-180 or when the bark is right. They usually shred as easy as a pork shoulder after this.

" What causes the stall to continue AFTER wrapping? "

Moisture inside the wrap.

Similar to basting during the stall, which prolongs the stall.

But why worry about the stall ? Its gets done , when it gets done.

For what it is worth, butcher paper is still semi-permeable, somewhere in between naked and foiled. While it helps hold in some moisture, it will still allow some to escape via evaporative cooling. You would have to go to and make sure to have a really tight wrap and seal around the meat to really shorten/avoid the stall.

what causes the stall to continue after wrapping?

that would be cooking at 225. either put the spurs to it or be patient

My .02 being a retired HVAC guy is knowing what the Stall actually is and how heat transfer works. Not only in BBQ but just thermodynamics. I said all that to say this. If you want to use the Texas Crutch, use it after the meat has stalled at least 15 mins.

First, I still don't understand the infatuation with monitoring temps like a hawk during a cook. That isn't to speak down to anyone ... I just don't see the need or desire. Honestly, the stall doesn't do anything for you as a cook ... except to worry to death those that choose to pay it the attention it doesn't deserve.

Second, I really try not to cook on a schedule (like needing to be finished in time for supper). Most of us can typically give our overall cook times an educated guess ... not only do I do that, but I also figure in my resting time. When I follow this rule, I'm never late for a meal.

We don't know your overall cooking time, but "I" would start a small chuckie at least 12 hours prior to serving time. I know it won't take that long, but I want it to rest ... and I'll not be rushing myself, or the meat, at the end.

BUT, in my opinion, the most important point I can make is this ... stop looking for the stall. Even if that means unplugging ... stop looking at (and obsessing over) the internal temperature. That is one of the most unnecessary worries I see people posting about across the internet.

Back