MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2022, 07:10 PM   #16
sjb67
Full Fledged Farker

Have made it twice. Once with hamburger and once with coarse chili meat. Prefer the texture of the chili meat over hamburger but both times very good.

Thanks from: --->

Old 01-11-2022, 07:29 AM   #17
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjb67 View Post
Have made it twice. Once with hamburger and once with coarse chili meat. Prefer the texture of the chili meat over hamburger but both times very good.
I seldom use straight chili grind but do love blending it in for a couple different textures. If I use brisket it’s usually the point in smaller cubes and about 25% of the pot. I don’t make the giant 4# pots anymore usually cooking 1-2# batches. I used to have a blender that I swear would liquify a shoe. I’d put smoked meat a Chipotle in there and make a slurry and add it to the pot. Liquified chipotle brisket added to ground meat chili grind or burger really amps the beef flavor.

Chili really is custom made for The MSU Life. You’re only limited by your imagination
16Adams is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-19-2022, 05:48 PM   #18
16Adams

Looking like another pot of Oakridge Texas Red Chili tomorrow. Windchill near zero at daybreak. Not supposed to warm above freezing.
It’s cold outside.

Old 01-20-2022, 07:56 AM   #19
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
I seldom use straight chili grind but do love blending it in for a couple different textures. If I use brisket it’s usually the point in smaller cubes and about 25% of the pot. I don’t make the giant 4# pots anymore usually cooking 1-2# batches. I used to have a blender that I swear would liquify a shoe. I’d put smoked meat a Chipotle in there and make a slurry and add it to the pot. Liquified chipotle brisket added to ground meat chili grind or burger really amps the beef flavor.

Chili really is custom made for The MSU Life. You’re only limited by your imagination
This may be the reason that I haven't been able to find a great chili recipe (and the fact my wife won't eat many things at all and hates any spice). My imagination of throwing things together struggles. Definitely unlike yourself Adams and all your great MSU adventures.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4[/B][/COLOR]
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2022, 08:28 AM   #20
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

I really want to try it. But........... I know that you mentioned that you can't comment on the heat because of other stuff you added, I tend to make my chili wimpy and let people add their own heat, as tastes are all over the place in family. A mild heat is ok. But anything more than that probably is a no go.

Old 01-21-2022, 07:31 AM   #21
SkaterSmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : MJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
I really want to try it. But........... I know that you mentioned that you can't comment on the heat because of other stuff you added, I tend to make my chili wimpy and let people add their own heat, as tastes are all over the place in family. A mild heat is ok. But anything more than that probably is a no go.
The recipe calls for 1 cup of seasoning, which is very spicy for sure, too spicy for my family. I tried a 1/2 cup of seasoning, but it lacked a little flavor, but the spice was mild (probably perfect for you). I settled on 3/4 of a cup, which was perfect for me, but still spicy and tolerable up until the last bite.

There's such good flavors in that spice mix. I would try making your normal chili recipe and adding 1/4 cup of Oakridge's chili spice into it. I bet it will take it to the next level.
SkaterSmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-21-2022, 08:05 AM   #22
16Adams

Heat tolerance levels are so independent it’s really hard for me to give advice on how much to use. My first batch was really warm but thinking that was the nuclear Poblano I roasted and chopped. Yesterday’s batch I swagged quite a bit and bloomed the Oakridge Texas Chili Seasoning in a beer(Miller Lite).
From the very start of Mr Trumps Youtube video he speaks of customizing to the individual taste. This mix has no salt no sugar. Adjust-add-delete to suit your tastes. The chile flavor in the chili mix is pretty amazing. I’m always MSU Mode cooking.

My wife loves Chiles however she prefers mild. So I cook to her taste and add heat to mine.

What I cooked yesterday was a solid medium. Wife enjoy the heat level but said it was in the upper end. I thought it perfect.

So I’ve Bloomed the Oakridge Chili Mix In
Stock and Beer. Next Bloom I plan to use coffee.
I also plan to add a tablespoon to my next Goulash cook

Last edited by 16Adams; 01-21-2022 at 10:09 AM..

Old 01-21-2022, 09:57 AM   #23
ChrisBarb
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks, guys. A couple of good suggestions.

Old 01-21-2022, 10:05 AM   #24
16Adams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisBarb View Post
Thanks, guys. A couple of good suggestions.
Like stated above my Bride likes chiles but not high heat. The one she like best from a box is Two Alarm and leave out the cayenne packet and only use half or even none of the paprika packet. Williams Chili in the foil packets is mild as well as Bolners Fiesta Chili Mix. Then there is Mexene and Gebhardt also mild imho. Mild Bills makes another.

I’ve a friend that makes his chili with mild enchilada sauce and Old El Paso Taco Seasoning.

However I’d encourage everyone to give this Oakridge BBQ Texas Chili Mix a try. I have several options for chili mix in my pantry including those mentioned above. The Oakridge is really good. And like said above no salt no sugar and when the majority of my chili cooks use previously smoked meats that are already seasoned, this helps

Old 01-31-2022, 04:05 PM   #25
kcmike
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob C Cue View Post
I thought all of Mike's rubs taste like chili seasoning.

Too soon?

THAT just made me shoot Wild Turkey out'a my nose!!

[URL="https://www.oakridgebbq.com"][B][U][SIZE="3"]~ Visit Oakridge BBQ ~[/SIZE][/U][/B][/URL]

Ole Hickory CTO
26½" Weber Kettle
kcmike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2022, 04:55 PM   #26
4ever3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmike View Post

THAT just made me shoot Wild Turkey out'a my nose!!
Post of the day!

I’ve read lots of good things about Mike’s chili powder. Gonna have to order some and put it head to head in a blind taste test against Hammet...

Old Oklahoma Joe (Opal)
GMG TREK (Greta Thunberg)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
MAK 2 Star (Maybel)

2x “Unfortunately nothing wrong with that” Bob C Que…
I must be living right (somehow…)
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote