1st comp , going all in

Smokin D@wg@77

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
1st comp coming this Friday , Saturday. We went with SRF , by happen chance our meat market was sold out of really good prime briskets , so said heck with it GO BIG or go home. Pork butts are duroc s , had really good luck with these in test cooks. Hate say this will be our 1st SRF , and be at a comp :-D, any tips ? We cook 275.

Last edited:
Be patient, cook it till it probes tender, Nevermind the finishing temp and give it a nice rest. Honestly the best advice I had gotten prior to cooking my first was when you think it's done give it another 20 or 30 minutes. I got a seventh-place call at a larger field contest my first go with srf and haven't looked back.

Good advice above. First time I cooked one years ago was at a contest and we got a call for 8th place in a field of over 50 teams or so. So you can do it!

I typically cook between 16-18 pound SNF briskets at 275 as well. I can have the flat done in 5-6 hours. I do the point another 1-2 hours most times.

Like it has been said, it varies from day to day and brisket to brisket, I don’t worry too much about temps but rather when it lets go and probes tender.

Good luck I hope you kick butt!

Your finish temp might be a little higher (208+) but obviously rely on tenderness. A tip i got that helped me tremendously for cooking SRF/Waygu is to NOT vent. Once your tenderness is there keep it wrapped tight and put in cooler/cambro. Do burp your cambro though every 30 mins or so. My first time out cooking a SRF Gold I got a 2nd place call. Good luck!!

So is this the Plant City Pig Jam on the 23rd? If so I will see you there.

No sir , its a FBA event at camp mack kisssimee. But we will be at Pig Jam , just not competing though

Back