MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-01-2016, 08:30 PM   #1
tibbs
Knows what a fatty is.

Default M Grills - M1 Pit

Hi guys - for the past few months I've been in the market for a new grill / smoker, and was originally looking at kamados like the BGE and Primo. I just recently ran across M Grills, specifically the M1 and it looks like a pretty incredible pit. Only issue is I'm not seeing too many folks online that have them, so I'm curious if anyone here personally has used one, or owns one to get your thoughts.

https://mgrills.com/collections/pro-grade/products/m1
tibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #2
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks pretty Nice but Pricey. I could get 3 Assasin Grills.........

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-01-2016, 09:00 PM   #3
Ribeye Republic
is one Smokin' Farker

I would buy a Hasty Bake or an Assasin.
LSG Insulated Cabinet - Big Red
Ribeye Republic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-2016, 09:09 PM   #4
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

Nice looking and nicely built. Watched their videos. Nice.

Old 05-01-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
KevinJ

It's nice but for that price you could get a Lone Stars Grillz 24 x 36 offset that has a gril grate and griddle over the fire box, you get a whole lot more cooker for your money IMO.
Checkout the video http://www.lonestargrillz.com/reviews.html
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-10-2016, 11:40 AM   #6
travismagee
On the road to being a farker

Hello Tibbs, I actually designed the M1 so I can shed some light on the differences between the grills mentioned. We are new so I understand there are not a ton of our grills out there, but we are selling them steadily so you will start to see more and more of them throughout the year.

The biggest difference between the M1 and the other grills mentioned are its grilling and smoking capabilities. The M1 has a fully adjustable grate for grilling and searing. You can put your water pan on this grate for smoking and position it where you like. You can also use this grate for a secondary smoking rack.

The firebox portion of the M1 is in a reverse airflow configuration with a large slide out firebox basket. It handles wood extremely well and it's very easy to maintain and smoke on. Since the firebox is self contained on the bottom, you have a much deeper cooking area. I only stick burn on the M1 and it's a dream.

If you want to grill, there is nothing to remove. It's all there. If you want to smoke, there is nothing to take out or replace, its all there. You can even have the firebox smoking with wood while you are grilling. It's very versatile.

Comparing the M1 to the Hasty Bake is really night and day. We get this a lot. The M1 is designed differently. The firebox is self contained and does not double for grilling and smoking. There is no baffle you have to slide in and out. You can smoke more food on the M1 if you use your bottom grate. The most obvious is that its built much more heavier. M1 is 10 gauge vs 18 gauge steel on the HB. Nothing on the M1 is nickel plated. If it's not part of the main grill (painted black), everything else is solid stainless steel besides the main handle which is stainless tube.

A nice addition is all of our grates are solid 1/4" stainless steel. No expanded metal (besides the firebox basket) and nothing is nickel or chrome plated.

Is it an expensive cooker? yes, but it is not cheap to make and worth every penny. There is not one thing we skimped out on in making this grill. So if customers are getting 20 years out of their well taken care of Hasty-Bakes, I can only imagine what they will get out of their M1. Only time will tell on that one.

I have seen SOO many grills over the years and my biggest issue with most heavy duty grills for less money is their fit and finish does not come close. Gaps in lids, fireboxes, doors, etc... The M1 seals up nicely and we pay very close attention to all of the internal and external welds. We do not leave any external welds visible on the lid and body. So every weld is finished down to a beautiful appearance. So sure you can buy a cooker to smoke more food on for less money and it might even be out of 1/4" steel pipe, but the attention to detail and aesthetic will not come close.

I truly believe there is nothing that comes close in the full capabilities of the M1. This is why I designed this cooker. It completely replaces the need of having a fully capable fine tuning charcoal grill and needing a very nice wood smoker. There is far less compromise with the M1. Unless you just need more cooking real estate and that is something we are designing right now. A larger version of the M1.
travismagee is offline   Reply With Quote

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-15-2016, 08:15 PM   #7
tibbs
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks Travis, great info! Looking to order one of these bad boys in a few weeks. Is there any info you can share on the newer design of the M1? Would hate to order one and then a brand new version comes out the next day
tibbs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #8
travismagee

We just made a slight modification to the M1 that has not been updated on the website just yet. Instead of welding in the brackets that raise and lower the lower grate mechanism, this is now being bolted in with 6 stainless steel bolts. So down the line if a customer needs a new mechanism that can easily be swapped out. I have some accessories coming out soon such as an ash pan for under the firebox and tool holders.

There will not be any additional mods to the M1. It is such a nice smoker and grill. Smoking with logs of wood is so easy. The airflow is very efficient so its extremely easy to control. If you overshoot your target temps, you can shut down the vent and watch the grill temp come down in a matter of a couple of short minutes. Or open it up and immediately start climbing. The temps will just stay steady for hours. I am always looking for ways to improve our grills, but I can not see any additional mods for the M1.

We are working on a 36" and 48" version that look very similar to the M1. Basically just stretched out versions with more real estate and larger fireboxes to accommodate full logs of wood.
travismagee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2016, 08:43 AM   #9
Bludawg

You can get 2 Old Country O/U 'ers and a Weber Performer for that price and still have cash enough for a good bottle, meant and a few choice sticks to smoke while your cooking and swillin.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:07 PM   #10
Eddiecalder

In would love to see some videos of the M1 in action.

Old 05-17-2016, 06:41 AM   #11
KevinJ

I watched a couple of vids yesterday, it is a very nice grill but for 2K there are just better option for me, a 36" for that price and I'd be interested. Here is a link to some of their vids, plus you can type in MGrills in the search box on youtube, I think there are a couple more.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...4L4FhZUMnt1-rQ
KevinJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-21-2016, 01:04 AM   #12
Mred21

I think this is a nice. Looking unit. I would like to get one but after my wife and I both having kidney transplants and 3 kids still aft home I can't afford one. Are there other grill/ smokers designed like this? I saw a MB ElDerado but couldn't come up with an extra $40 and an extra tank of gas when it was available. I currently smoke on one side of my Brinkmann double charcoal grill and I am building a UDS.

Old 05-21-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
mcyork28
Babbling Farker

I like it. Looks like a great design for the patio. Good job on the videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travismagee View Post
Hello Tibbs, I actually designed the M1 so I can shed some light on the differences between the grills mentioned. We are new so I understand there are not a ton of our grills out there, but we are selling them steadily so you will start to see more and more of them throughout the year.

The biggest difference between the M1 and the other grills mentioned are its grilling and smoking capabilities. The M1 has a fully adjustable grate for grilling and searing. You can put your water pan on this grate for smoking and position it where you like. You can also use this grate for a secondary smoking rack.

The firebox portion of the M1 is in a reverse airflow configuration with a large slide out firebox basket. It handles wood extremely well and it's very easy to maintain and smoke on. Since the firebox is self contained on the bottom, you have a much deeper cooking area. I only stick burn on the M1 and it's a dream.

If you want to grill, there is nothing to remove. It's all there. If you want to smoke, there is nothing to take out or replace, its all there. You can even have the firebox smoking with wood while you are grilling. It's very versatile.

Comparing the M1 to the Hasty Bake is really night and day. We get this a lot. The M1 is designed differently. The firebox is self contained and does not double for grilling and smoking. There is no baffle you have to slide in and out. You can smoke more food on the M1 if you use your bottom grate. The most obvious is that its built much more heavier. M1 is 10 gauge vs 18 gauge steel on the HB. Nothing on the M1 is nickel plated. If it's not part of the main grill (painted black), everything else is solid stainless steel besides the main handle which is stainless tube.

A nice addition is all of our grates are solid 1/4" stainless steel. No expanded metal (besides the firebox basket) and nothing is nickel or chrome plated.

Is it an expensive cooker? yes, but it is not cheap to make and worth every penny. There is not one thing we skimped out on in making this grill. So if customers are getting 20 years out of their well taken care of Hasty-Bakes, I can only imagine what they will get out of their M1. Only time will tell on that one.

I have seen SOO many grills over the years and my biggest issue with most heavy duty grills for less money is their fit and finish does not come close. Gaps in lids, fireboxes, doors, etc... The M1 seals up nicely and we pay very close attention to all of the internal and external welds. We do not leave any external welds visible on the lid and body. So every weld is finished down to a beautiful appearance. So sure you can buy a cooker to smoke more food on for less money and it might even be out of 1/4" steel pipe, but the attention to detail and aesthetic will not come close.

I truly believe there is nothing that comes close in the full capabilities of the M1. This is why I designed this cooker. It completely replaces the need of having a fully capable fine tuning charcoal grill and needing a very nice wood smoker. There is far less compromise with the M1. Unless you just need more cooking real estate and that is something we are designing right now. A larger version of the M1.
mcyork28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2016, 06:29 PM   #14
tibbs
Knows what a fatty is.

Wanted to post an update fellas. I decided a few weeks ago to pull the trigger and get the M1. I was really in the market for a higher end kamado grill but I fell in love with the M1 when I saw it. My wife ended up telling me to get it as a combined fathers day / birthday present, so who was I to argue

This thing is super high quality and built like an absolute tank. I couldn't be happier! Only issue is that I literally have no time to season it until this weekend I'll post an update / first cook photos when I have her fired up.

**Edit - apologies, not sure why the photos are coming in sideways
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160609_163039.jpg (44.6 KB, 586 views)
File Type: jpg 20160609_163026.jpg (46.5 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg 20160609_175412.jpg (39.9 KB, 579 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-09-2016, 07:07 PM   #15
Stingerhook

Name/Nickname : Marty

Good luck with it and looking forward to seeing her in action.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is offline   Reply With Quote