MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  



Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2019, 01:54 PM   #1
SmokinTheGoodStuff
Got Wood.
 
Join Date: 05-19-14
Location: Hiram, GA
Default Comps dropping off

There seems to be a lot of comps dropping off in the South East, is this a trend everywhere or more of a regional thing?
SmokinTheGoodStuff is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->


Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #2
ronbrad62
is Blowin Smoke!

 
ronbrad62's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-16-16
Location: Johns Creek, Ga.
Name/Nickname : Ron
Default

I am near you and it sure seems to be the case. I see quite a few across the country as well on the KCBS site that have 'cancelled' posted on them. I guess the fad has worn off and the comps that stay are the ones that are profitable.
__________________
Ron
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-08-2019, 03:17 PM   #3
masque13
Take a breath!

 
masque13's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-19-14
Location: Somerset, KY
Default

the comps I attend on and off in the KY area have been pretty consistent since I got into doing comps back around 2014. I don't usually travel more than a couple of hours and at least in my area, there have not really been cancellations I have seen.

and I, myself, have been unable to consistently attend my favorite comps year in and year out. but I have noticed some of the number of teams seems to fluctuate at comps I go to depending on the year.

the fad of the BBQ comp has not at all waned for me.......but, between costs, taking off from work and the sheer time and effort it takes to be competitive and stay involved in this "sport", you REALLY have to want it!!!

one of my life long best friends, who was actually the guy who turned me onto BBQ Pitmasters back many years ago, and was actually experimenting with cooking BBQ before me, has pretty much abandoned cooking comps. in all fairness to him, I was the one who flipped out over the competition thing and dragged us into to doing it. I am also the one who has made invested over 25k in acquiring the equipment to do it competitively.

He always liked it "OK", and it was always me that "loved it".....lol so last year after a few comps he said, "man, after this season, I'm out" and that was that.

i have a neighbor, friend and fellow brethren that he and I have discussed carrying on and doing some comps together, but life gets in the way.....and makes it hard.

Comp BBQ is not for the faint of heart.........I even had a few different friends occasionally show up to hang out and help a little in past comps....and afterwards they are like "you guys are nuts to do this".....lol

so i think all of that adds up MANY people were exposed to this stuff through the TV shows like I was. Jumped in with both feet, only to find it was far less glamorous and much much more work than what folks realize it is from watching a tv show. now with the TV stuff mostly died down, you are left with the folks that really love this and want to do this.

I didn't grow up doing this, and I came to it via the TV shows, but I am one of the ones still here and hope to do this as much as possible the rest of my life.....but honestly, it isn't easy to do it. and if I can admit that, and if that difficulty limits my participation more than what I want it to, then it no doubt has to effect other cookers and teams......which results in fewer teams being able to participate in as many comps.....which leads to less successful comps.

I wish it weren't that way, but such is life.....but I do think it will continue to stay about as healthy as it is now. These kinds of things ebb and flow.
__________________
Sugarbaby BBQ
Somerset, KY
Myron Mixon MMS-48
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 03-09-2019, 10:01 AM   #4
Bigwhipple
Got Wood.
 
Bigwhipple's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-08-14
Location: Tulsa, OK
Default

Several comps around Oklahoma are not returning this year. Kind of a bummer.
__________________
Chris - The Griswolds BBQ Team
Bigwhipple is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-09-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

 
thirdeye's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-14-06
Location: At home on the range in Wyoming
Default

In my area several have dropped out in the last few years. The organizers often point the blame at lack of sponsors. But the organizers of the successful and long running comps think it's poor management and communication from the comps that drop out.
__________________
~thirdeye~

KCBS - CBJ & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-10-2019, 07:40 AM   #6
Robert
is one Smokin' Farker

 
Join Date: 09-03-09
Location: Springdale Ar
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwhipple View Post
Several comps around Oklahoma are not returning this year. Kind of a bummer.

^^^^This. Seems like about 10 in Oklahoma and at least two in Arkansas. I've been doing this a long time and have seen many Comps come and go, but never this many in one year. Many contributing factors to go into the success or failure and longevity of a Comp that we cookers don't realize. It certainly was nice having so many options in previous years. This year not so much.



Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-10-2019, 05:23 PM   #7
bigdogphin
is one Smokin' Farker
 
bigdogphin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-12-09
Location: Sperry, OK
Default

The ones that stick around have good organizers and usually dont rely on entry fees for prize money. Plus you don’t see a lot of new teams replacing teams that are retiring or scaling back. The sport is becoming too expensive with entry fees and meat costs rising.
__________________
Jesse
Movin' The Chains BBQ TEAM

"Xquelibur" Black badazz Yoder Cimarron

Custom Yoder Frontiersman II and YS1500
Reverse FEC 100 & Right Handed FEC 100
1 UDS
Desert Thermapen W/ American flag
Green Thermapen
KCBS & PNWBA CBJ
bigdogphin is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2019, 05:41 PM   #8
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Location: Folsom, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
the comps I attend on and off in the KY area have been pretty consistent since I got into doing comps back around 2014. I don't usually travel more than a couple of hours and at least in my area, there have not really been cancellations I have seen.

and I, myself, have been unable to consistently attend my favorite comps year in and year out. but I have noticed some of the number of teams seems to fluctuate at comps I go to depending on the year.

the fad of the BBQ comp has not at all waned for me.......but, between costs, taking off from work and the sheer time and effort it takes to be competitive and stay involved in this "sport", you REALLY have to want it!!!

one of my life long best friends, who was actually the guy who turned me onto BBQ Pitmasters back many years ago, and was actually experimenting with cooking BBQ before me, has pretty much abandoned cooking comps. in all fairness to him, I was the one who flipped out over the competition thing and dragged us into to doing it. I am also the one who has made invested over 25k in acquiring the equipment to do it competitively.

He always liked it "OK", and it was always me that "loved it".....lol so last year after a few comps he said, "man, after this season, I'm out" and that was that.

i have a neighbor, friend and fellow brethren that he and I have discussed carrying on and doing some comps together, but life gets in the way.....and makes it hard.

Comp BBQ is not for the faint of heart.........I even had a few different friends occasionally show up to hang out and help a little in past comps....and afterwards they are like "you guys are nuts to do this".....lol

so i think all of that adds up MANY people were exposed to this stuff through the TV shows like I was. Jumped in with both feet, only to find it was far less glamorous and much much more work than what folks realize it is from watching a tv show. now with the TV stuff mostly died down, you are left with the folks that really love this and want to do this.

I didn't grow up doing this, and I came to it via the TV shows, but I am one of the ones still here and hope to do this as much as possible the rest of my life.....but honestly, it isn't easy to do it. and if I can admit that, and if that difficulty limits my participation more than what I want it to, then it no doubt has to effect other cookers and teams......which results in fewer teams being able to participate in as many comps.....which leads to less successful comps.

I wish it weren't that way, but such is life.....but I do think it will continue to stay about as healthy as it is now. These kinds of things ebb and flow.


It used to be a fun (but expensive) weekend.

Now it’s a chore that costs too much money with too many politics involved.

Competition bbq has thankfully jumped the shark.

Maybe in a few years the local non-sanctioned contests will make a come back making it fun again
__________________
John: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
*Humphrey’s Pint Elite*COS Stickburner *Weber Performer*Baby WSM (14.5")*Various Weber Kettles*Cast Iron Cue-Grill*Blackstone Griddle
Co-Owner of Naturiffic.com <<Shop here>>
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2019, 07:22 PM   #9
masque13
Take a breath!

 
masque13's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-19-14
Location: Somerset, KY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
It used to be a fun (but expensive) weekend.

Now it’s a chore that costs too much money with too many politics involved.

Competition bbq has thankfully jumped the shark.

Maybe in a few years the local non-sanctioned contests will make a come back making it fun again
So in your opinion what changed to make it less fun? And how will local non sanctioned contests make things fun again? I’m asking legitimately, just curious as to what your thoughts are on the subject.
__________________
Sugarbaby BBQ
Somerset, KY
Myron Mixon MMS-48
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-10-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker
 
Join Date: 08-31-09
Location: Folsom, CA
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
So in your opinion what changed to make it less fun? And how will local non sanctioned contests make things fun again? I’m asking legitimately, just curious as to what your thoughts are on the subject.


It has become a game of keeping up with the Jones’s. It’s no longer about bbq.

Non-sanctioned contests have their flaws, with untrained judges and poor organization at times, but it is more purely about cooking IMHO.

The popularity of competition bbq has created TV personalities and brought many new folks into the fold.

For bbq in general, this is a positive thing.
More people cooking and eating bbq means more bbq for everyone.

For competition, it is not such a good thing.

If you are a NASCAR fan, you can compare it to before the “Car of tomorrow/Chase for the Cup” and after.

Cookie cutter bbq being served to judges being subconsciously trained to eat over seasoned, chemically augmented fare.
__________________
John: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
*Humphrey’s Pint Elite*COS Stickburner *Weber Performer*Baby WSM (14.5")*Various Weber Kettles*Cast Iron Cue-Grill*Blackstone Griddle
Co-Owner of Naturiffic.com <<Shop here>>
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 03-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #11
Chrisreedtn
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 09-28-18
Location: TN
Name/Nickname : Chris
Default

I'm quite new at comp bbq. I've done a few, and really debate jumping in with both feet. Money isn't the utmost concern, but at the same time it is. I can afford srf briskets and fees, etc... the problem I have is "justifying" the expense. Alot of things I could do with the 1000$ I'm going to spend going to a comp. After alot of years in engineering I went back to school and got a culinary degree. I like food and competing alot, and it's a way for me to cook/compete while I also raise a young family without spending my life in a kitchen (did that for 10 years). Finding help/ someone that wants to compete often, maybe even split the expense with me is another story. Most of my friends are just way to busy or what ever to think about something like this. And atleast 3 local comps that were local-ish last year arent back this year. That just adds to the time, driving, and expense of going to ones further away.

There are quite a few cons if you look at it, and that's just showing up. Breaking in and competing with aloft of the folks at some of these comps is another thing altogether.

That being said, I'm still a huge fan of it. I'm just on the fence about investing a bunch of money in a trailer and gear. But, this is just a new guys perspective for what that's worth....

(TLDR: Long attempt at trying to explain why new people may not be getting into competing, and comps are going away)

Last edited by Chrisreedtn; 03-10-2019 at 09:33 PM..
Chrisreedtn is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-11-2019, 12:01 AM   #12
bigcatkim
Found some matches.
 
Join Date: 04-09-12
Location: Aurora, IL
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisreedtn View Post
I'm quite new at comp bbq. I've done a few, and really debate jumping in with both feet. Money isn't the utmost concern, but at the same time it is. I can afford srf briskets and fees, etc... the problem I have is "justifying" the expense. Alot of things I could do with the 1000$ I'm going to spend going to a comp. After alot of years in engineering I went back to school and got a culinary degree. I like food and competing alot, and it's a way for me to cook/compete while I also raise a young family without spending my life in a kitchen (did that for 10 years). Finding help/ someone that wants to compete often, maybe even split the expense with me is another story. Most of my friends are just way to busy or what ever to think about something like this. And atleast 3 local comps that were local-ish last year arent back this year. That just adds to the time, driving, and expense of going to ones further away.

There are quite a few cons if you look at it, and that's just showing up. Breaking in and competing with aloft of the folks at some of these comps is another thing altogether.

That being said, I'm still a huge fan of it. I'm just on the fence about investing a bunch of money in a trailer and gear. But, this is just a new guys perspective for what that's worth....

(TLDR: Long attempt at trying to explain why new people may not be getting into competing, and comps are going away)
Wow! I feel the same way as you. I was a backyard guy for the longest time even before the shows started popping up on TV. I got into judging first. (4 years) Last year I did some sanctioned backyard events. It a big investment, BUT I LOVE IT! Support at home has been good, though I know I'm going to be doing some one-man comps this year. :)

I'm adding a trailer to my setup this year. I've added quite a bit of expense, but I'm able to handle it.

There are a few comps near the Chicago/Milwaukee areas that have been cancelled this year.
bigcatkim is offline   Reply With Quote


Old 03-11-2019, 09:05 AM   #13
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker
 
Right on Q's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-21-14
Location: Olive Branch, MS
Default

From my perspective, the TV shows have attracted folks who have disposable income (at least short term) that throw their money at bbq in hopes to become the next bbq personality on TV.

Just did a comp this weekend and saw multiple teams with matching embroidered columbia shirts, professional branding, huge trailers with their logo wrapped all over it, commercial rubs and sauces of their own. Funny thing is I've been competing in this area for 5 years and this is the first time i've seen them.

Long story short, seems a lot of folks jump in head first with the hopes of becoming tv or social media famous. Those folks typically fade away when they realize how much money and work it is.

Personally we're trying to keep our costs reasonable in order to be able to do this long term. We may not do 15 contests a year but I want to enjoy the ones we get to do. Maybe we will work our way up to 10-15 contests a year once the kids are older. But either way I want to enjoy this hobby bc I enjoy cooking, not to be flashy to everyone that I meet.
__________________
Meatcraft BBQ - 18 WSM, 22 WSM, 2 X Auber controllers
Right on Q is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from: --->
Old 03-11-2019, 09:25 AM   #14
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-05-11
Location: Pierre, SD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
In my area several have dropped out in the last few years. The organizers often point the blame at lack of sponsors. But the organizers of the successful and long running comps think it's poor management and communication from the comps that drop out.
Up here, it's poor management that caused many to go away. The contests that are well run have stuck around for years and have no problem getting a healthy field of teams.
__________________
Last Call Heroes BBQ - Outlaw Smokers - Gateway Drums
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Old 03-11-2019, 09:31 AM   #15
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker
 
Join Date: 07-05-11
Location: Pierre, SD
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post

Cookie cutter bbq being served to judges being subconsciously trained to eat over seasoned, chemically augmented fare.
I don't put any "chemicals" in my BBQ. Who is putting chemicals in their BBQ?
__________________
Last Call Heroes BBQ - Outlaw Smokers - Gateway Drums
tduffy is offline   Reply With Quote


Thanks from:--->
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Forum Custom Search: Enter your Search text below. GOOGLE will search ONLY the BBQ Brethren Forum.
Custom search MAY not work(no display box) in some configurations of Internet Explorer. Please use compliant version of Firefox or Chrome.







All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
2003 -2012 © BBQ-Brethren Inc. All rights reserved. All Content and Flaming Pig Logo are registered and protected under U.S and International Copyright and Trademarks. Content Within this Website Is Property of BBQ Brethren Inc. Reproduction or alteration is strictly prohibited.
no new posts