To Freeze or Not to Freeze

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
THAT is the farkin' question.

Just finished pulling the 12 pork butts and got a chitload of pork for the church event next Sunday afternoon. Now the question... We are going to use the Food-Saver to seal all the pork into about 5-6 bags. Smoked meat generally have a 5 day or so window in the fridge before being questionable. Does the Food-Saver add to that length of time? I don't want to take a chance on making 125 to 150 people sick, including myself. We had originally just planned to freeze it in Food-Saver bags tonight then thaw them out in the fridge this coming Friday and re-heat Sunday AM. But now, we're planning on keeping it all in aluminum pans covered in the fridge overnight and seal them tomorrow evening. Would it even be worth it to freeze for four days? I'm also concerned a bit about the vacuum seal mashing the meat a little more. it's a touch overcooked as it is. Any help or suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Jeff_in_KC said:
THAT is the farkin' question.

Just finished pulling the 12 pork butts and got a chitload of pork for the church event next Sunday afternoon. Now the question... We are going to use the Food-Saver to seal all the pork into about 5-6 bags. Smoked meat generally have a 5 day or so window in the fridge before being questionable. Does the Food-Saver add to that length of time? I don't want to take a chance on making 125 to 150 people sick, including myself. We had originally just planned to freeze it in Food-Saver bags tonight then thaw them out in the fridge this coming Friday and re-heat Sunday AM. But now, we're planning on keeping it all in aluminum pans covered in the fridge overnight and seal them tomorrow evening. Would it even be worth it to freeze for four days? I'm also concerned a bit about the vacuum seal mashing the meat a little more. it's a touch overcooked as it is. Any help or suggestions from those in the know would be appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Split the difference and go with 1 gallon ZipLoc bags. Rehydrate if needed when you pan it up to serve.

So freeze or not? Maybe it's just that I'm exhausted and not following totally... :redface:

Go ahead and freeze it. It's not going to hurt anything, besides you're talkin a week away.

oooops, yes freeze was the answer.

freeze freeze freeze

I swear by the foodsaver. Then I would freeze it too. I guess the real question is whether or not to pull it first or not? Also, whether or not to add sauce prior to freezing? I would personally do both. (You stated that you felt you overcooked them) Then you have to consider the means by which you are going to unthaw the butts. Let us know what you decide on.

I'd pull it while it's hot, but it may be too late now. ;)

FREEEEEEZE it, big guy.

i agree withthe freeze!!!

but really question this one form the original post. I have gone way over 5 days with stuffr as long as its well wrapped or tupperwared.

jeff_in_kc said:
Smoked meat generally have a 5 day or so window in the fridge before being questionable.

I would freeze it.... and reheating in the Foodsaver bags is almost an insurance policy for moist meat. We just boil the bags, then cut them open and tray it out.

HoDeDo said:
I would freeze it.... and reheating in the Foodsaver bags is almost an insurance policy for moist meat. We just boil the bags, then cut them open and tray it out.

This is what I would strongly encourage as well.

Smoked meat generally have a 5 day or so window in the fridge before being questionable.

Accpording Serv-Safe standards - All pre-cooked foods can be kept up to 7 days in a fridge before being chucked.

HoDeDo said:

Jeff:

I just did this Saturday for a Men Can Cook Competition. I had to work all week up to two hours before the comp. I simply boiled the VAC bags and the stuff came out "cherry." I took 3rd in the People's Choice. Loss to guys making chili:mad:

Well, we did decide to freeze before I got all this help! We have six large bags approximately 8-10 pounds per bag. The plan is to let them thaw out by moving them to the fridge starting on Thursday evening. Then Sunday early morning, we'll pan them up, mix in some sauce and juices we saved back, spray really good with apple juice, cover with foil and put in a 175 degree oven until noon serving time.

One thing that was odd... we used almost all apple wood for the smoke and there was barely a single chunk of white colored meat when we pulled it. Almost the entire butt on all 12 were solid pink! The color tamed down a bit once they cooled off but dang! Never seen THAT much color! Is it from using apple?

.... from a totally 'non-Q' perspective, when I read your decision factors, and then all of the succeeding posts, it forces me to a very effective (and expensive) 'decision-making' program' I went through in the past. When all the 'musts' and wants' are defined and dealt with ( and it seems they have been in this thread) ... IF the decision is still very close, then decide it by 'adverse consequences'. In this case, concerns about spoilage and its many diverse consequences would seem to push the decision strongly toward 'FREEZE'.

... FWIW

Hope it's great!

Hopefully it's pulled already. Definately freeze. We do it all the time.

Back