MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-15-2006, 04:41 PM   #1
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim
Default Koolatron 12 volt refrig

Bought me one of these--arrived yesterday.
http://www.compactappliance.com/xq/J...roduct/P65.htm

Paid $151 to the door with the 120 volt adapter.

Plugged that puppy in and placed a Taylor probe in it.
At 2 hours it dropped below 40 degrees and settled in at 33 degrees at 2.5 hours. KEWL and COOL Specs say 40 degrees below ambient temp and that seems to be right on.
I have always been "leery" of these, but the modern ones seem to work wonderful!

With the miles Karen and I travel we got really tired of the "Ice Chest" thing. No more soggy, water soaked stuff. No more $1.50 to $2.00 bags of ice every day or less. It can even go in the motel room with the AC adapter and be used there. Gonna sit by me whilst smokin'--for sure--maybe a cold brewskie or 12
The 33 qt is a perfect size for the 2 of us.

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 06:07 PM   #2
Smoker
is One Chatty Farker

I like it.
Smoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 06:30 PM   #3
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't let the wife see this.......I'm cooler poor already.....but I'd love to have one!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 06:37 PM   #4
bbqbull
Watching over us.

I bought a 12 volt cooler/heater in 2002. Its made 2 trips from Michigan to Washington State back home, then from home to Wyoming-home. It worked like a million dollars. I used it in the cool mode, carrying small taco shells, sliced meat, small jar of mustard and mayo. also carried bottled water and juice. I bought mine at a truck stop after buying ice a few times. I can get replacement parts at a truck stop, ie; new fan motor, spare power cords ect. I love mine.
P.S. For what I paid for my ele. cooler/heater. I would have spent 3 times as much for a new cooler not including the price of bagged ice.
Bull
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 06:45 PM   #5
bbqjoe
Banned

I've had some experiences with these. Remember the ambient temp thing. If it's a hundered it will only cool to 60. Way out of the safe range.
Keep the fins clean, as well as the blade on the motor. Dust will accumulate and prevent proper function.
Also remember this, your car is not a nuculer power plant, this wonderful inovation will kill your car battery in a number of hours, if left to run without the engine on.
But they do work well, and keep your groceries from getting wet.

P.S. keep them out of the sun, or cover with something.
bbqjoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #6
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

Cant do nothin with money. Great gift to thyself brother Tim. I was wishin I had one last wknd. We drove down to Myrtle Beach in my Mom-in-law's new Ford Freestar. There was a 12v receptical right there in the back. That cooler wouldve been the cats ass!

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Those Peltier based portable refrigerators are great. Sometimes they have peltier based devices that can do hot and cold. They are very reliable because they are totally solid state. Best of luck with it.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2006, 10:08 PM   #8
Kevin

Been experimentaly using the Peltier coolers on some of our boards with much success here. They seem to last.

Old 03-15-2006, 11:37 PM   #9
Sawdustguy

I think the only way to stop the peltier element from working is to physically break it. Wonderful little invention. One side hot, one side cold, reverse the polarity and you get the reverse effect on each side.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2006, 08:04 AM   #10
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

This unit has the reversible plug for heating.
Instructions say it makes 135 degrees and "Do not leave it on heat over 45 minutes or it will melt the interior"
Don't see any real use for that feature, at least for now.
Not about to use it for "coolering". I have plenty of "smelled up" coolers already

We are going to Braves Spring Training in Orlando next week. 10 day test drive coming up

TIM
Now cooking with a Yoder YS640
Proud Pellet guy cooking on real wood.
The_Kapn is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2006, 05:42 PM   #11
JimT
Full Fledged Farker

I'm still using one I bought for my parents 28 years ago! The look has changed, and the A/C adapter back then was (is) more like a small battery charger. Seems to me, we paid about the same for it back then as they cost now. Kind of like computers.

JimT
The New Guy
JimT is offline   Reply With Quote