MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #1
Chodempole
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Steve
Default Judging requirements

I was told in order to maintain your KCBS judging certification you have to judge at least one competition every 2 years. Can anyone confirm this? The rules on maintaining your certification on the KCBS site do not state this. They only say you have to be a KCBS member in good standing.

Last edited by Chodempole; 10-27-2018 at 10:24 AM..
Chodempole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 01:39 PM   #2
rob g
Full Fledged Farker

I don't think there are any rules stipulating how often you have to judge. As long as you keep your membership current you are good. I believe if you let your membership lapse you will have to take a refresher course to be re-certified.
rob g is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 02:09 PM   #3
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob g View Post
I don't think there are any rules stipulating how often you have to judge. As long as you keep your membership current you are good. I believe if you let your membership lapse you will have to take a refresher course to be re-certified.

Not certain, but I think this is correct.

Or at least it was when I was certified.

To be a member in good standing, pay your dues, read the Bullsheet, was all that is required.

You will have a judges meeting prior to each competition to act as a "refresher" on specific rules.

Or I could be completely wrong as its been 10 years since I was certified and things have changed/updated.

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-27-2018, 07:05 PM   #4
smokeacholic
Full Fledged Farker

If you let your membership lapse for a period of time you will have to rejoin and retake the judge's class.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:13 PM   #5
samappleton
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Sam Appleton

You can be a KCBS member and never have judged a contest. Only paying the membership fee is required.
To be a judge you have to take a one time class.
KCBS members can also take a judge refresher course for free.
The difference in paying for the class and auditing the class is you don't get to taste the meat as an auditor.
If your account has lapsed call the KCBS office's main number.
For a refresher course contact the KCBS office's main number.

Sam Appleton
KCBS Rep
samappleton is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #6
KB BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Kenny

How much does a judging class cost? (Ballpark figure)
4 WSM's 1 WGA and stuff to make Fire & Smoke

KB BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-02-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB BBQ View Post
How much does a judging class cost? (Ballpark figure)
Depends, but $100-120 seems normal around here. As I understand it, the breakdown is $40 to KCBS (for your first year membership), $40 to the reps putting it on, and then the organizer may charge whatever they want for themselves.

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #8
rorkin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chodempole View Post
I was told in order to maintain your KCBS judging certification you have to judge at least one competition every 2 years. Can anyone confirm this? The rules on maintaining your certification on the KCBS site do not state this. They only say you have to be a KCBS member in good standing.
Once you are a judge you are a judge as long as you maintain your membership.
GMG Davy Crockett
KCBS Master Judge/Certified Table Captain/100+ Club
SCA Prime Judge

"I have more smokers than I need but not as many as I want "

Last edited by Ron_L; 11-02-2018 at 12:23 PM..
rorkin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 PM   #9
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest_kc View Post
Depends, but $100-120 seems normal around here. As I understand it, the breakdown is $40 to KCBS (for your first year membership), $40 to the reps putting it on, and then the organizer may charge whatever they want for themselves.
It's more complicated than that.

Class organizers publish a fee for members and non-members. From that, KCBS collects a check covering the course fees, member fees for non-members, and the cost of meat, cooking supplies, and non-cooking supplies.

The cook is then paid for their supplies by KCBS. The cook may also be reimbursed for their cooking services and travel by the organizer.

The organizers then pays the KCBS reps directly for any travel expenses incurred.

Overly complicated? Sure. I think they do it this way so they control what supplies are used in the class. Meat purchases are VERY limited, so you aren't going to get comp style food in a judging class.

KCBS also tells organizers that the classes are not to be considered money making ventures. Of course the organizers bear the risk - there is a minimum charge for the class, and the reps will have travel expenses whether the class sells out or not, so organizers will try to make some profit on classes. It's generally not much though, and sometimes the classes lose money (for the organizers, not KCBS.)
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-2018, 01:50 PM   #10
midwest_kc
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Joel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
It's more complicated than that.

Class organizers publish a fee for members and non-members. From that, KCBS collects a check covering the course fees, member fees for non-members, and the cost of meat, cooking supplies, and non-cooking supplies.

The cook is then paid for their supplies by KCBS. The cook may also be reimbursed for their cooking services and travel by the organizer.

The organizers then pays the KCBS reps directly for any travel expenses incurred.

Overly complicated? Sure. I think they do it this way so they control what supplies are used in the class. Meat purchases are VERY limited, so you aren't going to get comp style food in a judging class.

KCBS also tells organizers that the classes are not to be considered money making ventures. Of course the organizers bear the risk - there is a minimum charge for the class, and the reps will have travel expenses whether the class sells out or not, so organizers will try to make some profit on classes. It's generally not much though, and sometimes the classes lose money (for the organizers, not KCBS.)
Interesting. Thanks.

Old 11-13-2018, 07:59 PM   #11
bbqnjm
Knows what a fatty is.

FYI- beginning in 2019- you must be a member before signing up for a CBJ class- there will be a process to sign up with KCBS & get your membership # before signing up for the class- and therefore there will be only one fee for a class.

Old 11-14-2018, 08:11 AM   #12
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Once again KCBS is poking their ownselves in their eye.
What possible good is going to come from adding a step to the process? First you have to sign up and pay, then find a class to attend.
I've been helping with our local classes for many years and have never been aware of any problem with new prospective members just showing up and doing it all right there.
I think the thought is it would make it easier for the office gal.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote