Hot 'n Fast Mayo Slathered Oakridge Secret Weapon Chicken Experiment

Personally, I wouldn't say that the mayo slathered bird (At least the way I prepped it) was better than cornell or Roadside chicken, but it was certainly equal. They are just two entirely different flavor profiles, especially using the Oakridge Secret Weapon rub the way I did.

As to the acid you mentioned in your version, one could also substitute apple cider vinegar for lemon or lime juice with good results, I would think.

Yes to swapping out acids depending on the flavor you are after. With poultry seasoning and cider vinegar hold the ketchup, you could get fairly close to the flavor profile of Cornell chicken if you wanted.

We make both the mayo/lemon/ketchup and the Cornell recipes often, sometimes at the same time and the mayo birds are selected by most, including the biased Cornell grads in the family. You still need to have Cornell chicken periodically around here though, I think it is a law.

I just cooked four bone in thighs and they came out great. Mayo + coarse ground pepper, then I seasoned with Oakridge Secret Weapon on all sides and under the skin, added more coarse ground pepper to the top and baked at 380 degrees for about 50-55 minutes. Came out crispy, juicy and very flavorful. Some of the best chicken I've ever baked. :)

20170819154246-8429470e-me.jpg

20170819154243-1cd25d61-me.jpg

No plating pictures because after trying a few pieces, I tossed everything into a container to be pulled tomorrow for fried tacos.

I too have been a mayo convert. Slather everything in mayo now before applying the rub. Last brisket and St Louis ribs I did came out the best I've ever made. It makes sense as the main ingredients of mayo are eggs, oil, salt, acid. 3 of the 4 most everyone already applies. Not sure how the egg yolk changes things but it sure does make it better!

Thanks Moose! I have friends from Georgia coming next week for a bbq day, this will be a perfect addition.

Made Mayo chicken several years ago From what I remember it was really good and juicy Yours looks amazing Moose as do those taters
Kay use to take a mayo chocolate cake- was also excellent

Back