Savory pork belly burnt ends?

sarth67

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
My attempts at pork belly burnt ends have left me underwhelmed. I am not a huge fan of sweet.

I am pondering a more savory version of the pork burnt ends. Standard dry rub for the first portion of the cook works fine.
Last phase is getting me. A sherry or wine or even apple cider vinegar would be OK but I am still missing something.

Low carb would be even better if I could figure out what is missing.
Looking for ideas for the glazing portion.

If I could carry it over to beef burnt ends even better.

Any ideas?

Many of the recipes/videos prepare PBBE's that are seriously sweet. At home for the foil step I use pork broth, a little agave nectar, a touch of rice wine vinegar and a tablespoon or two of sauce.

oZ7mBWJ.jpg

IMO the acid should be neutral in flavor such as Thirdeye's rice wine vinegar, also sweet works well with pork, how about apples cooked with the pork without any added sugar if your trying to avoid it. Also dried fruits reconstituted with hot water and a little Bourbon could work.

I think pork belly burnt ends are supposed to be sickening sweet.:thumb:

Last edited:
Love rice wine vinegar in rice never thought of using it on pork thanks.
Apples would be good Sort of miffed at myself for not trying this already.

Making a braising sauce of half spicy BBQ half apple butter with a splash of extra vinegar may be a good way to get apple flavor into the burnt ends. You can adjust the ratios to get it to the sweet level your looking for.

I'm not a fan of sauce on them either.

I just throw a few chunks of butter on them when I cover with foil, they come out fantastic.

Mustard based sauces work well for this case. They are typically not sweet and very yummy.

Back