Blind taste testing!!

I watched that earlier and it was about how I thought it would turn out. I like his channel

Memphis Elite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't watch a lot of bbq videos but I kinda liked this guy. Start at 14:45 if you are impatient. I didn't really think it would be that lopsided the way everyone raves about their pellet cookers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't watch a lot of bbq videos but I kinda liked this guy. Start at 14:45 if you are impatient. I didn't really think it would be that lopsided the way everyone raves about their pellet cookers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I’d be more surprised if the results were not bent toward stick burners. Having cooked extensively on both, I will be the first to say that in my opinion sticks win! That said, it is also my opinion that if running a super clean fire in a stick burner, that the difference between sticks and pellets is not huge. I have often said that I can easily obtain 90% of the smoke profile my stick burner used to lay down with 10% of the work involved. Reading through the comments from Jeremy’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) video... here is a screenshot of a comment and then Jeremy’s response:
b7e6f053a5c441810a27da4627bec6c5.jpg

9284da4185eb5c02de521938b66fe79c.jpg

My interest keeps getting peaked with pellet cookers. I keep fighting the urge, waiting on some stupid kind of clearance deal at wal-mart on a pit boss or something.

Not surprised by the results based on my experience

I was actually at this event and tried the meats. To be honest, the different was so small but still noticeable. However, when you factor in the easy of use I personally think pellets win. It really comes down to style/ how much time you have.

I’m with you here. Unless if I were competing there is no reason for me personally to put in all that work for a taste difference that I’d have to do a side by side comparison to notice.

Should also be noted that the pellet cooker he used is rumored/thought to have the most stick like flavor of them all. I wish I could of been there to try them all and experience the side by side differences myself

Memphis Elite

I have to concur wit rwalters, I run my stickburner clean and the smoke profile from my Yoder isn't far off.

Should also be noted that the pellet cooker he used is rumored/thought to have the most stick like flavor of them all. I wish I could of been there to try them all and experience the side by side differences myself

Memphis Elite

Is that right? I thought the consensus was that the Maks had the most stickburner-esque flavor profile?

I’d be more surprised if the results were not bent toward stick burners. Having cooked extensively on both, I will be the first to say that in my opinion sticks win! That said, it is also my opinion that if running a super clean fire in a stick burner, that the difference between sticks and pellets is not huge. I have often said that I can easily obtain 90% of the smoke profile my stick burner used to lay down with 10% of the work involved. Reading through the comments from Jeremy’s (Mad Scientist BBQ) video... here is a screenshot of a comment and then Jeremy’s response:

For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.

Last edited:
For me I would say its like 80% of the flavor with 10% of the "work", but I agree generally. Personally, I like running a fire so I dont necessarily view it as "work" but regardless of what it is, life doesnt always allow me to do it. There was a time I ran my Shirley once or twice a week, and I will be able to do that again someday.

In the meantime I am quite happy with the results my Mak puts out - its "convenience factor" allows me to cook when I otherwise wouldnt have time...but if I am out to cook some people the best barbecue that *I* can, it's happening on the stick burner every time.

Nice summation.

For me... stick burner screams RETIREMENT GIFT to self!!! Retirement can’t get here fast enough... lol.

Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).

On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.

Nice! Well done video and while I am a bit disappointed by the results, I'm not surprised (I do Brisket on my BGE).

On the bright side, I saw the banner in the background and saw that there is a BBQ place in the Simi Valley that I drive by fairly often. I'll have to stop by and check it out on one of my next trips.

Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.

Bqhq

Yes... BBQ HQ is the BBQ store in the background. I wish I lived closer as it seems like an amazing place with owners/staff that have a TON of passion not only for the craft of BBQ but the community they live it.

Yes ..... BBQ Headquarters has a lot of stuff .... smokers ... grills .... rubs... etc..... and a pretty good price on pellets.!!!!

Back