First Belly Bacon

Dplorable

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
My first belly bacon is cured and in the fridge forming a pellicle, on the smoker tomorrow. Finish temp is 150° IT but the belly ranges from 1.5"-2.5" plus thick. Obviously the thinner part will get there sooner. Do I pull it when the thinner area makes temp or wait on the thick part? Or keep the smoker at 160° and pull when I get the color I'm looking for?

Thanx

-Rick

10 lbs of belly

P1000055.jpg

Depending upon your instructions / method; Usually you start smoking at a lower temperature and slowly raise the temperature over time to the desired finish temperature. The lower temperature allows the belly to come to temperature over time without cooking.

I take bellies to an Internal of 130° - 135°.

There are others who only cold smoke the bacon with no heat at all. Always follow a proven and tested recipe.

I love my Home Cured and Smoked BACON!
BACON! BACON! BACON!

I cold smoke mine with Apple Wood Pellets made into sawdust.
6 hours does the trick for me.

But mine cures for 14 days.
Forms pelical for 5-7 days.
Smokes, then cures for about a week. (Lets the smokey flavor even out)
And I slice and package.
Yup, about a Month for my bacon.

Since my wife normally cuts a standard pound in half to cook it, I've taken to maken half pound packages.)

Mine goes like this.

I love my Home Cured and Smoked BACON!
BACON! BACON! BACON!

I cold smoke mine with Apple Wood Pellets made into sawdust.
6 hours does the trick for me.

But mine cures for 14 days.
Forms pelical for 5-7 days.
Smokes, then cures for about a week. (Lets the smokey flavor even out)
And I slice and package.
Yup, about a Month for my bacon.

Since my wife normally cuts a standard pound in half to cook it, I've taken to maken half pound packages.)

Mine goes like this.

Wow, you really take your time when making bacon. Do you find it makes a difference in the final product? I cured 8 days, pellicle overnight and smoked 5 hrs. Wrapped and in the fridge overnight, slicing tomorrow.

Wow, you really take your time when making bacon. Do you find it makes a difference in the final product? I cured 8 days, pellicle overnight and smoked 5 hrs. Wrapped and in the fridge overnight, slicing tomorrow.

I think so, but then, I'm a slow cook anyway.
The proof of the effort was in 3.5 pounds being gobbled up Christmas Day by the Family.
15 people ate it as fast as it was fried.

My experience has been when dry curing, the liquid that forms in the bag actually gets reabsorbed into the slabs around day 12-14.
Fully cured.
I was generally starting a new slab as one was done.

Yours has a very nice color after hot smoking it. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. :eusa_clap

I think so, but then, I'm a slow cook anyway.
The proof of the effort was in 3.5 pounds being gobbled up Christmas Day by the Family.
15 people ate it as fast as it was fried.

My experience has been when dry curing, the liquid that forms in the bag actually gets reabsorbed into the slabs around day 12-14.
Fully cured.
I was generally starting a new slab as one was done.

Yours has a very nice color after hot smoking it. Hope it tastes as good as it looks. :eusa_clap

Do you soak yours before you put it in the fridge?

Back