MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-04-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
traviosoway
Got Wood.

Default Meat Grinders. Need help.

Hey all. Me and my dad are going to make our own deer sausage this season. I'm looking at different meat grinders. We were at Cabela's and they have a Cabela's Meat Grinder that goes from .5 to 1.75 horsepower. We were looking and some country dude comes up to us and tells us to stay away from those. He gets our email and sends us this link and says he uses the ts-110...

http://www.sambaere.com/Personal-Grinders-c10/

The cabela's grinder is here...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Home-...Id%3D104364180

We don't know meat grinders at all. I mean, it's a third of the price of the cabela's grinder. Any help would be great.

Thanks.
traviosoway is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 07:09 PM   #2
bluetang
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

That's a loaded question. I went through less expensive grinders and was usually not too happy with the ones that I had. I bit it and bought this one. Although I haven't needed it yet, I think I'd like reverse. But anyway this is it:
http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/p...8fcb04d8f5f028
It kicks.
Homey, the Homegrown frier, 22" WSM, 18.5" Elderly(but not retired) WSM,Homegrown Electric, Weber gasserrrr,Weber Performer, Gravity feed smoker, Blackstone, Indisputably Fastest Purple Thermapen, SAI Satay Grill

bluetang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-04-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
Chefy
Found some matches.

I’ve had the 1hp Cabela’s grinder for 3 years now and it has always operated flawlessly. I probably only make between 100 and 150 lbs. of Italian, breakfast and venison sausage annually, but it could do a lot more. Maybe paid too much, but there is a store locally and I couldn’t wait. Good luck!

Couldn’t help but notice that you have what looks like a Yellow Tang as our sig. pict.. I had a 400 gal coral and fish saltwater setup, not counting sump, until about 3 years ago. Loved it..
Chefy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 07:37 PM   #4
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I got the refurbished 3/4 hp from Cabelas after wearing out the China one. Buy the best and only cry once!

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-04-2010, 10:00 PM   #5
Timmy
Full Fledged Farker

My father and I spent a week making deer sausage last winter. He bought the heavy duty model from Cabelas bargain barn. Works great. But ymmv.

Old 10-04-2010, 10:06 PM   #6
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

My dad and I have been using an LEM #5 (.25 hp) grinder for two years now with no issues whatsoever. Although a bit more power would be nice, we've had no issues doing 40 or 50lbs of sausage per "session" with it. You can get the LEM grinders at Bass Pro or order direct. The .25 hp is $240, the .35 hp is $289 and then it jumps to a .75hp for $389, no 1/2 hp so you can't do an exact apples to apples comparison against the Cabela's unit.

http://www.lemproducts.com/category/electric_grinders

Here's a couple things to keep in mind...

Although the grinders come with a sausage stuffing attachment you will quickly grow tired of it. Having to turn the stuffer on and off is actually a huge PITA and after only a month of making sausage my dad and I decided to buy a 5lb vertical stuffer. You don't need to get the stuffer right away, use the stuffer attachment on the grinder and see if it works for you, it might be something you like, but if you don't like it don't get anything less than a 5lb vertical stuffer. 5lbs is the bare minimum that you would want to have to load up at a time, if they weren't so expensive I would have bought a 10 or 15lb stuffer. Also, the smaller, angled stuffers are reportedly pretty cheesy and don't work well.

I also bought my dad a 17lb meat mixer, thinking it would do a quick job of mixing the seasonings into the meat. It didn't work as we anticipated and the blades in the mixer just sliced through the meat, leaving most of it relatively still and didn't mix much of anything. And to top it off it was just an extra thing to have to clean up at the end of the job. We used it twice and it's sat on the shelf ever since. What a waste of $130.
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 04:58 AM   #7
Big Jim BBQ
Take a breath!

I bought the Cabelas Commercial grade like you are showing in a 1hp model. I've only used it once but really liked it. It's heavy duty and seems to be a real quality piece of equipment. I think it was about $500. I am not disappointed. I got the 1hp because it has a reverse.

[B]Charbroil CB940X[/B]
[B]Charbroil Bandera and an Old NB Bandera (in restoration)[/B]
[B]Charbroil [COLOR=red]RED[/COLOR][COLOR=black] infrared[/COLOR][/B]
[B][COLOR=black]Small Charbroil gasser (sorry), Weber Performer, Thermos Grill-to - Go[/COLOR][/B]
[B]UDS x 2[/B]
[B]Super-Fast, Splash Proof, Precisely Accurate, Highly Visible [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] Thermapen[/B]
[B]Fast, Accurate and Shipped Free [COLOR=navy]BLUE [/COLOR]Thermapen, Maverick ET-73, Maverick ET-732 x2[/B]
Big Jim BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 08:21 AM   #8
boatnut
is One Chatty Farker

I had a similar grinder to the Sam Baere. It held up for a couple of years just doing the occasional chuck or pork butt grind but eventually failed. I bit the bullet and bought the Cabelas 1/2hp commercial model. I can't throw meat in it fast enough..never slows down. If you can afford it, it's the way to go.
my 2 cents

GOSM smoker (gas)
Masterbuilt (electric)
Weber Kettle
Weber Gasser (2)
Weber WSM

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me then a frontal lobotomy
boatnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 08:41 AM   #9
Jorge

I helped a friend butcher a 1000 lb. steer earlier this year, and we used a Cabela's grinder to process the trimmings and tougher cuts for ground meat. We couldn't feed it fast enough to keep up:)

If you get the Cabela's model, make sure you pick up a tube of lube for the grinder before you leave the store or when you order online. It's NOT included in the box.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 12:46 PM   #10
landarc

A tip on the meat blending with spices, I make a thin slurry of the spices with some water or juice, chill it almost to freezing and add it too the meat before grinding, the added fluid will not mess up the sausage and it will help evenly distribute the spices throughout the meat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #11
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

bought this grinder from Northern tool a couple years ago--have ground literally a ton of venison and pork with it--can't slow it down!!
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...6074_200046074
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE

Last edited by 2Fat; 10-05-2010 at 12:56 PM.. Reason: spelling
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Hell Fire Grill
Full Fledged Farker

Its a good thing you came here asking because buying a meat grinder, IMO, is something you should research a bit before you buy. The same applies to a stuffer or a mixer.

The sam baere grinder, most dodels, appear to have the headstock and feed screw made of "durable die-cast metal with aluminum alloy plating". The indusrty standard is stainless steel. There is alot of friction and pressure on these parts and I think stainless will hold up better and be easyer to keep sanitized.

Try to get the most powerfull grinder you can, its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Look for or ask about lubricated gears made of iron or steel, stainless steel headstock and feed screw, #12 or larger head.
Hell Fire Grill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 02:08 PM   #13
Chef Country
is one Smokin' Farker

they dont make the grinder I have anymore its like a 1960's hobart that weighs 90 lbs I make all my own deer brats, summer sausage, we grind 5 or 6 deer a year, If you want to add cheese to you brats you cant use the grinder as the stuffer, it will clog up the grinder from what i have heard, we use a Dakota water stuffer it has a piston and you hook up to a water hose and use the water pressure to stuff sausage into casings
Shop built 300 gal smoker
Traeger bbq 125 with digital 180 controller
collecting parts for a 500gal reverse flow build
Chef Country is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-2010, 03:18 PM   #14
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
If you get the Cabela's model, make sure you pick up a tube of lube for the grinder before you leave the store or when you order online. It's NOT included in the box.
That sounds ... Well....

good thing it's not the Woodpile...

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2017, 11:40 PM   #15
Shaunleo
Got rid of the matchlight.

LEM 1 HP meat grinder is best for deer. I have been using it last 2 years and I don't have to face in big problem.
Shaunleo is offline   Reply With Quote