• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Smoke -- Charcoal/Chunk vrs Pellet

Much like yourself and others, I started with a WSM 22 and loved it, but wanted something more techy if you will. I picked up a Rec-Teq 700 and haven't looked back. Great some flavor, easy to operate, great customer service. I've had a great experience with getting a pellet grill. That being said, I don't think I'll ever get rid of my WSM, I'm sentimental that way. Haha

So when you all are talking about gravity being closest to stick burner are you meaning running with lump mixed in with chunks or something different? I have a gravity and WSM. I have never run lump yet just briqs. Both the gravity and WSM have very similar profiles. I mix in chunks with my charcoal bed and run a dry water pan. So both pretty much same principle, charcoal/wood. With gravity heat flows through manifold so underneath just like WSM. Only asking out of ignorance. Not nearly enough experience iwth stick burners or having Q off of them. Not entirely sure how local bbq joint smoke their product but, have never been impressed with any. Not do to smoke just quality in general. Thanks

. Not entirely sure how local bbq joint smoke their product but, have never been impressed with any. Not do to smoke just quality in general. Thanks

I only included the barbecue joint because its charcoal/chunk and very popular. So I guess whether the smoke coming from those cookers is billowy can be debated, but whatever kind of smoke it is, there's a lot of people who love the food it creates.

I know a local KCBS judge who prefers charcoal/chunk flavor.

Back