I live and smoke in KC – born and raised in Iowa

MDG816

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Reaction score
:wave:
Greetings brethren.
I came into my initial love of bbq when I picked up a side job at Battle's Barbeque summer after graduating from Iowa State University in Ames, IA. It was a humble, order at the window, grab a cup of fresh squeezed lemonade while three 20 somethings in the back sliced, and plated sandwiches, ribs, chips, beans, pickles.

A year later I moved down to KC and got a job serving at Jack Stack Barbecue and actually was a trainer in opening up the location on the plaza (if I could go back in time I would've applied to work in the kitchen. the pay wasn't as good, but I'd love to have that experience to draw from now).

That was all about 10 years ago. I'd dreamed of smoking my own meat someday. Then about 3 years ago, my new wife and I were driving around. She wasn't keen on me dropping a few hundred dollars on a hobby I wasn't sure about and that's when she spotted a vertical smoker for $5.

I picked it up, googled it, and have since come to know and kind of love/hate my ECB. A few mods, burns, and curse words later and I've rigged it up and would put my brisket* and butts up against just about anything I've eaten/served elsewhere. That said I'm just about reached my patience with the tending she requires (the smoker, not the wife).

Anyway, I've probably got 5 smokes under my belt, and they've each gotten better. Try to take decent notes so I can improve my process each time.

Here's some flicks from the last or last two smokes.

rQsiQKN.png

LhSqVG5.png

* - I'm sure you would all call the authorities, but I actually have to fold my whole packers to fit on the ECB. Aside from sometimes being a little difficult to get off the smoker that way, they've still turned out tender, moist and delicious.

Also, I smoke with lump hardwood charcoal and soaked hickory chips

I'll switch it up at some point, but trying to perfect my approach with hickory for now before I start venturing off into the woods.

Welcome to the forum from down here in Victoria.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Welcome to The Brethren. Looks like you have a good handle on smoking meat. A few thousand dollars more and a few more years practice and you'll be unable to escape, just like us.

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Az, those are some sweet looking cooks you posted there.

Welcome, come on in, take your shoes off and sit a spell.

Back