Cooking The Perfect Prime Rib Roast

Midnight Smoke

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
This will be my 3rd Prime Rib cook ever. 1st one came out excellent, beginner's luck maybe. 2nd one just was not so great. Seasoned the same with just some "Deep Pit Seasoning" from Montana Bounty Foods and both cooked on the Egg. 1st one came from the Butcher shop and the 2nd from the Grocery store.

These 2 I have now both came from the grocery store. They do look better than the last one I picked up there.

I did see the Alton Brown method of dry aging in a upside down Tupperware container. I have a container that I will drill some holes in to use just for Aging my meat. He says Dry age for 72 hours. I am thinking about doing it a little longer.

The sell by date on these is 12/27/2011, we will be cooking these for dinner on the 28th.

I will be cooking these on the XL Egg.

Looking for your suggestions for the Perfect process and seasoning's suggestions.

Picture005.jpg

Olive oil, salt, cracked black pepper, garlic and rosemary. M&P the last four ingredients and add enough oil to make a nice paste. Slather a few hours before cooking. I cook mine at ~300 until in IT of 128 then pull and rest. I get a nice crust, but others do the whole cook at 225 to 130, You'll get plenty of replies.

Olive oil, salt, cracked black pepper, garlic and rosemary. M&P the last four ingredients and add enough oil to make a nice paste. Slather a few hours before cooking. I cook mine at ~300 until in IT of 128 then pull and rest. I get a nice crust, but others do the whole cook at 225 to 130, You'll get plenty of replies.

Thank-You Brother Guerry!

Do you do a High Heat Sear at the end of the cook?

I age mine in the fridge for 6 days, trim, coat with EVO, and put a good coating of Kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper. Sear on the stove, then in the smoker @ 250* until internal of 125. Let rest for 15 to 20, then slice. Perfect every time.

{Midnight ☼ Smoke};1888600 said:
Thank-You Brother Guerry!

Do you do a High Heat Sear at the end of the cook?

Not at 300, mine usually don't need a sear. Other's do a sear at the end or beginning when cooking at lower temps. The argument for the lower temp cook is the evenness of doneness is more uniform, but I'm impatient and haven't been bothered with my results.:becky:

I'm sure you'll get a number of replies with cook temps from 250-350
degrees, and maybe some even higher. For many years I cooked the
Prime Rib at 350° and it was always great. A few years ago I changed to
a lower temperature of 300°, as this gives it a much more even cook all the
way through.

Here is one I did very recently, even though I cooked it in the oven you
should be able to use it as a reference for your cook on the EGG. Just use
your favorite seasonings for Beef...a bit heavier than you would for a steak
though; as it is a roast.

Prime Rib, oven roasted. - YouTube

Last edited:
At 300° you shouldn't need to do a sear at the end....see how crispy the one in my
picture above looks. The roasts you have look great, I wouldn't remove any of the
fat from them at all.....with the possible exception of trimming any excess fat from the
back side of the ribs. Other than that, yours are already trimmed just fine.

At 300° you shouldn't need to do a sear at the end....see how crispy the one in my
picture above looks. The roasts you have look great, I wouldn't remove any of the
fat from them at all.....with the possible exception of trimming any excess fat from the
back side of the ribs. Other than that, yours are already trimmed just fine.

Thanks for the Tips! The butcher did me right on these. He even gave me about 3/4 Lb of Fat cap he had tripped off. Said if I wanted to just lay it on top while cooking.

Great advice above. However, have you considered cooking one like Brisket?

:doh: Why didn't I think about that?

I like to crush up whole black peppercorns, garlic, and rosemary in the M&P and then mix with Dijon mustard and salt. Slather this all over. This isn't like the mustard pre-rub on normal Q (which I don't do anyway). You want a little more of it than that, and you definitely will taste it.

Then serve it with some Horsey Cream: 1 1/2 cups sour cream, 3/4 cup mayo, horseradish to taste, dash of worcestershire, juice of half a lemon, dash of tabasco or louisiana hot sauce, and S&P to taste.

I also like Alton's method of cooking at 200-225 until about 118*, remove and let rest for 30 min. while bringing your egg up to 500*, and then back in for about 10-15 min. to complete the CRUSTIFICATION!

I have never cooked a rib roast outdoors before but I have an 11lb 5 bone rib-eye roast sitting in the fridge just waiting for Christmas. I can't friggin wait! Thanks for all the tips. Brethren rock!

hey guys,
i've cooked a couple ribeye roasts before. they came out awesome.
it has been a while and i cant remember how long they took.
i'm doing one for the family on christmas.
we're eating at 630.
i'm gonna cook at 250 until IT of 120.
what time should i put it on?
kinda silly question, but totally forgot.
thanks all.

The key to a perfect prime rib is to get "prime". Back in my restaurant days I just coated with cracked pepper, kosher salt, and minced garlic. Refrigerate wrapped over night and cooked at 325 for 2 1/2 hours. Never took the temp and they always came out great.

salted a 5lb rib roast a couple days ago to cook for Sunday supper-its been sitting uncovered in fridge waiting for seasoning with black pepper/coriander--cooking method is undecided but about impossible to screw up.
think salting is a key to large cuts of beef

What are your opinions on a quick dry age like I mentioned.

Tupperware with some holes drilled in it? How long do you think I should let it sit this way in the fridge?

Back