Rib Roast Appreciation Thread

Funny... those prices... we pay double here:doh:

Anyway why fat side down?

Sorry about the prices. Beef is cheap in the US compared to much of the rest of the world. Whenever we have visitors from abroad, beef is on the menu.

I have a Primo and the fire is on the bottom. The fat provides an insulating layer and helps protect the meat from the fire. NY strip is a bit different than ribeye. The strip steak is the large side of the T-bone, so two sides (of three) butted up against the bone and the meat is more tender there. I want to protect this. The other side not only has fat, but there is usually a tough piece of grizzle and many people don't like this and cut it away when they are served. Others don't mind. I left it on, but I know my family is not going to eat that part, so I didn't bother seasoning that side. With rib roasts the outer fat is tender and much more palatable.

Brilliant idea......and if I'm not mistaken the NY strip roast has less fat maybe??

Yes, the strip, although a prime cut, has much less fat than a ribeye. I personally prefer the ribeye, but the rest of my family prefers the strip. Also, note how much more uniform it is.

I thought I got a pic of mine when I pulled it out of the drum but I can't find it. Well, if you've seen one 5 1/2 pound, rare-med rare, SPOG covered rib roast ,you've seen em all. Thanks to all here that contributed to the success. I can't say that enough about this site and all that make it what it is.

Leftovers....
I sliced mine up completely. We ate on it for a couple of days and I vacuum sealed and froze the rest. Was that smart to do? Reheat in a warm water bath (sous vide)? I nuked my lunch plate and the piece we made sammies with, but it didn't do it justice.

I thought I got a pic of mine when I pulled it out of the drum but I can't find it. Well, if you've seen one 5 1/2 pound, rare-med rare, SPOG covered rib roast ,you've seen em all. Thanks to all here that contributed to the success. I can't say that enough about this site and all that make it what it is.

Leftovers....
I sliced mine up completely. We ate on it for a couple of days and I vacuum sealed and froze the rest. Was that smart to do? Reheat in a warm water bath (sous vide)? I nuked my lunch plate and the piece we made sammies with, but it didn't do it justice.

I used the sous vide to reheat ok.

Leaving a chunk to slice thin for cheesesteak is a good idea too.

Christmas Bump.

Mod's, please don't shoot me for this. But, it's that time of year, and personally, I think this really is the best thread on Prime Rib (at least the best that I have seen). Might be helpful for any/all who might have questions.

for holding or low temperature cooking I use my cheap roasting oven. makes it easy and keeps the oven free for the wifes sides. left the bone in this one and seared on the akorn

I have a 21# angus, still in cryo. Plan to smoke it 4 days from now. I want to remove from cryo and let dry in fridge, when do I dry brine, or do I?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
m2xvEAKh.jpg

I have a 21# angus, still in cryo. Plan to smoke it 4 days from now. I want to remove from cryo and let dry in fridge, when do I dry brine, or do I?

Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

I would do it tomorrow. I like to wrap in plastic film for the dry brine. unwrap it and place on a wire rack the morning of the cook

Gonna put up a few of the pix that I re-found that got bombed off 'cause of the farkbucket deal.

These are from different years past:

Dry aged, pre-cook

picture.php

Not sure whether or not either of these are from that^^^roast, but they were delicious.

picture.php

picture.php

Gonna do this year's kinda like smoke_ninja - hit with Q-salt ahead of time. Got an 11 pound standing rib roast & cannot wait to cook and eat that thing. Gonna throw it in the BW Chubby (been using that cooker a lot lately - love that thing!) with a little pecan at 200. Gonna see what it looks like at the end of the cook before I decide whether or not to sear.

Love this thread!

My boys are coming for dinner tonight so I picked up an 8½ pound standing rib roast. Plan on putting it on the Performer rotisserie, bones and all. Loading lump on one side and gonna catch the drippings. Will be about 3 hours sitting on the counter at room temp.

Been a couple years since doing one and sorta drawing a blank on how long it should take. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Olive oil, Celtic sea salt, fresh cracked black pepper, and a finishing hit of Montreal steak seasoning. Couple cherry chunks in the fire and it's on. Was running late so skipped the catch pan.

20191011.jpg

20191010.jpg

About an hour and 45 minutes in. Stopped the motor and started pushing the Thermapen in slowly. Internal got down to 90°. This thing won't be perfect but hope it's delicious.

Back