Admission of a near failure on brisket, and a question

Qrilock

Found some matches.
Reaction score
HI all, I am new to the forums.
I figure it is obligatory to start a thread on a brisket attempt at some point, so I am going to get it out of the way. This will probably be fairly wordy, After my description of what I did I will have a TLDR for anyone who (more than understandable) doesn't want to read another noobie's brisket goof ups. After that I will ask some questions I ran into while I was doing this.
Sadly, to start, I forgot to take any pictures after I stuffed it in at 4am, so no good pics.
This was my first attempt at brisket. I have not been smoking food for very long, and really have only done chicken, turkey, beans, and corn on the cob. I am not usually smart enough to recognize when I am about to try something out of my league, so Friday I decided to try a brisket this weekend. I fired up my internet browser, and started looking around the internet. That is how I found this place, after I already had some idea of how I was going to go about this adventure. Smoke brisket, remove point for burnt ends, make some smoked beans. The beans are much better with pork drippings.... so make some fatties!! I decide a regular fatty and a stuffed one, (never made fatties either.) Girlfriend likes stuffed jalapenos, I saw a recipe for ABTs. thought why not!?!? (So for anyone keeping track, here is the list of things I am making that I have never done before; brisket, burnt ends, ABTs, fatties. Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else?)
Saturday morning I trimmed the fat off a whole packer leaving about 1/2 in fat cap on one side. This left me with about a 9.25 lb brisket. I added a rub to it, wrapped in plastic wrap and put it in the refrigerator. Yay refrigerator!
Sunday morning I got up nice and early, almost 4am (about 45 min after I meant to) fired up my gas smoker, got it up to about 250, put some hickory chips in, added the brisket, and put a thermometer into the flat. I stayed awake for an hour to make sure the temp was stable, then took a nap. Everything went exactly according to plan for a few hours.

When the stall came around I pulled the brisket and wrapped in foil, added a little beef broth, and wrapped it a few more layers of foil to make sure it didn't leak. Then I realized my first mistake. I forgot to put the probe back in so I could see when it came out of the stall. So I carefully opened the end back up to try and get the probe in without spilling everywhere. Got the probe in, closed it back up, and put it back on the smoker. Yay, so far.

A few hours later (sooner than I expected) I saw the temperature climbing again. After much reading, specifically on this forum, I knew that after the stall the temperature didn't really mean anything anymore, it was now up ti the brisket to decide when it was done, not my thermometer.

So I let the temp rise to about 185, and decided to poke it, just to see how it was doing. I opened the door to the smoker, and realized that there was a part of the process I hadn't planned for. And this will make the subject of the end question for this post. The brisket is wrapped in foil, with a lot of very tasty juice floating around. How do I poke the brisket without spilling everything everywhere.....

So, I pulled the whole thing out, opened the foil, and dumped the tasty tasty juice into a bowl. This is when I realized I had made another mistake. I had put the probe in the point instead of the flat.... :doh: OOPS! I checked the temp of the flat, it was still only about 168. That explains how fast it came out of the stall. Dag Nabbit!! I just threw the whole thing back in the smoker, hoping it wasn't too far from coming out of the stall. 2-1/2 hours later, we are still sitting at the 171. Now I am starting to get close to when I was wanting to put other things in the smoker. People will be showing up for food soon, and I had already pushed everything back about 1-1/2 hours. So I pulled the brisket out, separated the point from the flat, wrapped the flat in foil, and stuffed it in the oven (hangs head in shame)
I chop the point, add a mix of the au jus, a little bbq sauce, and some of the rub I put on the brisket and toss this all back in the smoker for burnt ends.
I throw the ABTs, fatties, and beans in the smoker. Let everything cook for a little over 2 hours. The flat finally came out of the stall, and I started poking it. When the probe started sliding in very easily, I pulled it out, wrapped in towels and put in cooler to rest. It sat in there for almost an hour, before the rest of the food was ready. Yay Food!!!

Overall, everything turned out fairly well. The fatties were great. The ABTs were ok. The burnt ends, while not very burnt, were great. The brisket flat itself was very tender, but a little dry. I think I forgot to rest it after it came to temp before wrapping in towels; so I think I got it a little overdone. Overall, not a terrible first try. Everyone said it was great, better than they have had in a long time. Even better then they have had in a BBQ joint here in years. I was not nearly as impressed with the brisket; I suspect they were heaping extra praise to make me feel good (it worked) Overall I was very satisfied with the day, especially when I look back at how much I tried to take on by myself that I had never done before. And it all turned out decent (brisket and ABTs) to really good (stuffed fatty and burnt ends)

Things I learned:
Make sure you get the temp probe into the flat before wrapping in foil....
Don't take on too many new things because they sound tasty.
Burnt ends may be my favorite part.
hickory smoke smells great, even at 4am..

TLDR;
Tried to make brisket and way too many other new things
Forgot to put thermometer in when wrapping in foil, opened back up and accidentally put it in the point)
Realized this mistake when I unwrapped to start poking after, i thought, it came out of the stall
Separated point (for burnt ends) from flat so flat could cook i over.
Brisket flat turned out ok, Burnt ends were great.

So, This leads me to my question.
For those who wrap in foil and add water/beef broth/something at the beginning of the stall; How do you manage to probe for tenderness? Do you drain the au jus after it comes out of the stall and put the brisket back in the smoker un-wrapped, untill the end? Do you just open the foil to poke, and re-seal? if so, how do you manage not to spill all the liquid out? Do you just poke blindly through the foil ( I doubt anyone does this, but I have been very wrong before) and just left the juices drain out? ---What, Oh Great Gods of Tasty Barbeque, is the ever wise and prudent way to handle this??:hail:

I use butcher paper, not foil. So my advice will be totally useless :p

I just poke through the paper, and when I feel the brisket is tender, by blindly poking through the paper, I pull the whole thing, rest it and slice. I rarely make Burnt Ends, preferring to eat the point sliced. (despite my recent posting on Burnt Ends).

Ok i use an ice pick and i poke through the foil into the flat, when it probes tender carefully pull it out so as not to spill your juices, open it up for a few minutes to let it stop cooking (if you make burnt ends this will accomplish that) wrap it back up and let it rest. That's it no muss no fuss.:thumb:

So, This leads me to my question.
For those who wrap in foil and add water/beef broth/something at the beginning of the stall; How do you manage to probe for tenderness? Do you drain the au jus after it comes out of the stall and put the brisket back in the smoker un-wrapped, untill the end? Do you just open the foil to poke, and re-seal? if so, how do you manage not to spill all the liquid out? Do you just poke blindly through the foil ( I doubt anyone does this, but I have been very wrong before) and just left the juices drain out? ---What, Oh Great Gods of Tasty Barbeque, is the ever wise and prudent way to handle this??:hail:

WOW :shock: You took on way too much but I'm glad it turned out OK. It could have gone much, much, much worse. As for your question, when I probe for tenderness, I use an instant read thermometer. I get to see what it feels like and the temp at the same time. I open the top of the foil and lift it up in the middle and then temp, hopefully not losing any liquid. I never take the other thermometer out until it is done. I never poke thru the foil.

Sounds like you were very close. Since I'm not hungry for popcorn I'll give some suggestions.

Disconnect the probe wire from the unit when needing to handle. Let the wire dangle. No need to remove the probe from the meat. Placing in a foil pan is quite helpful.

When you wrap in foil, do so that you create a boat with the foil to hold the au jus and fold up so that you can open it back up to check . Be careful though that you don't poke through the bottom of the foil when probing.

Yes you can probe through the foil, but you are doing blindly. I suggest you don't at first

Now get back on that horse :p

Thanks for reading anyway landarc. Is there an advantage to butcher paper over foil? or is it just a person preference based on ease of wrapping?

1911Ron, thanks for the reply. I am probably not dexterous enough to move the brisket with holes in the foil without spilling everywhere. perhaps with practice. :-D

Toymaster: yeah. I have a bad habit of not knowing my limits. One of these days it is going to get me in trouble; and ordering a lot of pizza.

Jeffr: this is why I need to ask dumb questions. It would never have occurred to me to not remove the probe. I don't know why; leaving it in makes perfect sense.

"(So for anyone keeping track, here is the list of things I am making that I have never done before; brisket, burnt ends, ABTs, fatties. Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else?)"

Off the high dive into the deep end.......

"And it all turned out decent (brisket and ABTs) to really good (stuffed fatty and burnt ends)"

Not a painful belly flop...............

"Don't take on too many new things because they sound tasty."

proved false by way of own evidence.............

"(So for anyone keeping track, here is the list of things I am making that I have never done before; brisket, burnt ends, ABTs, fatties. Does this seem like a bad idea to anyone else?)"

Off the high dive into the deep end.......

"And it all turned out decent (brisket and ABTs) to really good (stuffed fatty and burnt ends)"

Not a painful belly flop...............

"Don't take on too many new things because they sound tasty."

proved false by way of own evidence.............

You can do all kinds of dumb things and get away with it. I may have pulled it off, but I was exhausted by the time dinner was served. I like cooking to be relaxing.

First & most important, welocme to the Brethren.

I didn't see what kind of cooker you are using, can you get to a sustained 325*-350*?

If the answer is yes, try the hot-n-fast method frequently attributed to Brethren Bludawg (this is my take on the method):

• I try to use 12#-15# whole packers, might trim a little but not necessary, no injection, simple salt & pepper based rub, fat side down on a 325*-350* cooker, point towards the hot end if you are using an offset.
  • Let it rock for about 4 hours then pull it and wrap in butcher paper, the IT should be around 170*.
  • Back in the cooker wrapped in the butcher paper for a couple more hours.
  • Start probing at about 1-1/2 hours after wrapping. I use a bamboo skewer, but a metal awl or a thermometer probe works fine. Just poke it through the butcher paper into the thickest part of the flat (the point will take care of itself).
  • I've had them probe tender anywhere from 1-3 hours after wrappng, but usually 1-1/2-2 hours and IT anywhere from 195*-210* but usually 205*.
  • When it probes tender, take it off and let it rest. An hour on the counter is good, longer in a cooler works too. Careful, if you put it in a cooler to soon it will continue to cook and may dry out, give it at least a half hour on the counter first.

Best of luck:thumb:

You can do all kinds of dumb things and get away with it. I may have pulled it off, but I was exhausted by the time dinner was served. I like cooking to be relaxing.

Relaxing....yes, true.....but you did pull it off !!!

Doesn't have to be an Olympic event every time, but it's good to know that you can !!!
I like to stretch my own limits & bounds, so I know what's possible.....from time to time.....

Good Job!!!

:clap::clap::clap:

I'm a low and slow guy. Sounds like you were in the right Church, just the wrong pew.

I don't wrap brisket anymore but when I did, I would insert the probe into the thickest part of the flat using the curved Maverick ET-732 food probe keeping the curved end angled up and wrap the foil. The probe was inserted at the beginning of the smoke and never removed even when wrapping in foil. Then I just plug it back in to the receiver. When it's time to probe for tender, I unwrapped from the top and used my Thermapen to test.

Good luck. Sounds like you are on the right track.

Back