MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Graphix
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Noobs first rack w/ pr0n.

Hello everyone I'm Brendan and I'm a Q'aholic. Been lurking for a few weeks and finally got everything to do my first rack of ribs.

The details:
-Smoked the ribs in a Sears BBQ Pro (first mistake)
-About 3 or so hours with lump charcoal and hickory chunks.
-Used Dizzy Dust for the dry rub and Dinosaur BBQ Slathering Sauce for the wet.
-Ribs came outs pretty tender but not fall off the bone tender, they had a bit of chew to them.

The problems:
-I read after the fact that the top vent should stay open or else you get a 'dirty' fire. I had closed it to dampen the fire in the beginning to lower the temps, I'm not sure how much that effected the final ribs.
-I think i used a little to much mustard. When I went to sauce them at the end some of the 'crust' was a bit to mushy on some parts and turned into a kind of crust paste.
-My temps probably looked like a roller coaster ride. I need a better way to monitor temperature, my digital probe wasn't cutting it.
-The bottom vents of the BBQ pro are total trash, I see some modification in the near future.
- Adding more charcoal was a pain and I spilled some of the drip pan on the coals.
-I think I should wrapped them in foil earlier or not added more hickory in the middle, they seemed to have a bit too much smoke.

Questions:
-Is there a reliable way to get the grill temp with infrared thermometer? I was thinking something like (kettle lid temp + X degrees= approximate internal temp)??
-How long into smoking should I wrap them? How long before they are done should I take off the foil and let the crust firm back up? To me it seems like the steam softens up the crust and they should be finished without foil, yes or no?
-After the first hickory lumps die out should I add more?

And finally some Pr0n. Thanks for looking everyone!

This shows the crappy vents and the gap between the ash collector.

Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Brendan, you have some problems here.

1. That is too large a gap in the bottom vent and charcoal catcher to properly control temperatures. That small gap alone will prevent you from getting a kettle type cooker down to below 300F. You need to modify the vents to provide a less leaky bottom assembly. Even a minion method cook will runaway if you have that much leaking.

2. I do not like to control fire temps with the top vent, in fact, I run my cooks with top vent open. If you use the top vent you will end up with a sooty/dirty fire which will make your meat taste overly smoky. Of course, if you have a leaky kettle (like yours) then the only option is the top vent.

3. I neither mustard slather or foil ribs, I prefer ribs cooked without foil. I also prefer ribs with some pull, I do not like real fall off the bone ribs, a little tug and it pulls off with some effort is my preference. That being said, I have found that if I am working with someone that insists on foiling, you have to run at least an hour to set the bark.

4. For monitoring heat, I use a probe type thermometer with a wireless feed, so I do not need to stand by the kettle, I use a meat thermometer stuck in a top vent to see where air temps are and I use another probe type thermometer to monitor meat temps, again so I do not need to stand out there near the kettle.

Hope that helps.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-23-2010, 03:50 PM   #3
Graphix
Got rid of the matchlight.

thanks for the reply landarc. im going to work on getting this thing sealed up then it will be time for try number 2.
Graphix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks good thought I hid it.
The Cajun Bandit.
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
noob, ribs