MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-06-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
aswoboda
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Looking for a great clam chowder recipe?

What's up brothers? I've been looking online and there is several varieties of clam chowder recipes out there, how do you guys do it? I'm looking for a fantastic pot of clam chowder, thanks guys
aswoboda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
Teleking
is One Chatty Farker

NE or Manhaten style?
Teleking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 01:48 PM   #3
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I don't know the exact recipe but what my mom does is this: start with standard campbells NE style reduced soup (the kind you add milk to). Then take store bough fresh

Old 12-06-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I start by frying up a 12 oz package of apple smoked bacon. Remove bacon to cool and crumble, reserve the grease save two tbs. Sautee a medium onion and three stalks of sliced celery (about 1/4" thick) adding in a couple cloves of minced garlic. Remove from pan. I then start with a roux for a cream based soup, butter, flower and when it's nice and ready add the juice from two cans of clams, and then some milk and heavy cream (don't ask for measurements as I do it by feel). To this I add three or four cubed red taters (about 1/2" cubes), the celery, onion and bacon and simmer until the taters are done, adding chicken broth if it gets too thick. At the very end I add the clams and simmer until they're done which only takes a few minutes. It's one of my faves.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 01:52 PM   #5
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Clams and sauté them in butter and garlic. After you sauté the fresh clams add heavy cream to that mixture then add that to the standard pot of canned soup. Of course you can add fresh taters and or whatever else as well. The addition of fresh cream garlic butter and fresh clams take it all to a whole new level

Old 12-06-2011, 01:54 PM   #6
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by 42BBQ View Post
Clams and sauté them in butter and garlic. After you sauté the fresh clams add heavy cream to that mixture then add that to the standard pot of canned soup. Of course you can add fresh taters and or whatever else as well. The addition of fresh cream garlic butter and fresh clams take it all to a whole new level
+1 on the fresh clams if you can find them. Hard to come by in Memphis.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog

Old 12-06-2011, 01:57 PM   #7
42BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

But daggone, forget what i said Deguerre looks like he has a winner!:)

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-06-2011, 02:20 PM   #8
Boshizzle

OK, here is my daily dose of sacrilege. Last time it was mayo and cheese on Italian beef.

This time, it's Old Bay Seasoning in New England Clam Chowder.

Tasty!

Sorry, I don't have a special NECC recipe. It's pretty basic, just some bacon, onions, diced clams, clam juice, milk/half&half, salt, potatoes, pepper, celery, flour, and OLD BAY Seasoning.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:22 PM   #9
landarc

Roux:
1 cup yellow onion, fine dice
1/2 cup celery, fine dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup small carrots, shredded

2 tablespoons olive oil (or pork fat)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons AP flour (not sure what flowers Guerry uses, I prefer flour. Roses just don't thicken right)

Saute aromatics in olive oil until softened, add butter and flour and cook until roux in blonde. Remove from heat.

Base stock:
fluid from 2 cans of clams (reserve meat)
2 to 3 lbs small fresh clams in shell (need shells intact and closed
1/8 cup fish sauce (obviously I prefer and recommend Red Boat)
2 cups water

Place liquid in stock pan, put clams in a steaming basket over liquid. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all clams open and are cooked. Remove clams and reserve, drain thoroughly into broth.

Other stuff:
2 cups diced red potatoes, or white or gold
chopped parsley
chopped sweet onion
fresh medium grind black pepper, or fine grind white pepper
3 cups half and half
4 tablespoons butter finely diced

Assembly:
heat broth to simmer, add potatoes and cook to done
whisk roux and half and half to form slurry, add pepper if desired
whisk dairy into broth once taters are cooked, allow to cook through until thickened, add clam meat and heat through. Add reserved whole clams and shells.
Plate with a couple of whole clams in each bowl, add chowder, garnish with parsley and sweet onions.

Note, salt may need to be adjusted, to my palate, it rarely needs to be.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-06-2011, 02:30 PM   #10
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Roux:
1 cup yellow onion, fine dice
1/2 cup celery, fine dice
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/8 cup small carrots, shredded

2 tablespoons olive oil (or pork fat)
4 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons AP flour (not sure what flowers Guerry uses, I prefer flour. Roses just don't thicken right)

Saute aromatics in olive oil until softened, add butter and flour and cook until roux in blonde. Remove from heat.

Base stock:
fluid from 2 cans of clams (reserve meat)
2 to 3 lbs small fresh clams in shell (need shells intact and closed
1/8 cup fish sauce (obviously I prefer and recommend Red Boat)
2 cups water

Place liquid in stock pan, put clams in a steaming basket over liquid. Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer. Cook until all clams open and are cooked. Remove clams and reserve, drain thoroughly into broth.

Other stuff:
2 cups diced red potatoes, or white or gold
chopped parsley
chopped sweet onion
fresh medium grind black pepper, or fine grind white pepper
3 cups half and half
4 tablespoons butter finely diced

Assembly:
heat broth to simmer, add potatoes and cook to done
whisk roux and half and half to form slurry, add pepper if desired
whisk dairy into broth once taters are cooked, allow to cook through until thickened, add clam meat and heat through. Add reserved whole clams and shells.
Plate with a couple of whole clams in each bowl, add chowder, garnish with parsley and sweet onions.

Note, salt may need to be adjusted, to my palate, it rarely needs to be.
Good one Bob! I completely forgot to add the cracked black pepper in my post. The bacon provides the salt in mine. As to the flowers, whatever is in season works.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Redhot
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
THANK YOU Landarc, that is the very FIRST time I have laughed in weeks! I had to go back and look at Guerry's recipe post then look back at yours.

Oh BTW, that is some fantastic clam chowder he makes!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][FONT=Comic Sans MS]GOSM "Bubba Q", Stovetop Smoker "Lazy Girl", ET-73[/FONT][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=navy]Avatar by NorthwestBBQ[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
Redhot is offline   Reply With Quote