MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #1
Winterhawk1960
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Don
Default 270 or Humphrey's....

I've narrowed down my choices to either a 270, KC model or a Humphrey's of comparable size. What would be your choice.....and why ???

Thank-You.....in advance, for your reply
Winterhawk1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2019, 09:32 PM   #2
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawk1960 View Post
I've narrowed down my choices to either a 270, KC model or a Humphrey's of comparable size. What would be your choice.....and why ???

Thank-You.....in advance, for your reply

Interesting to see what is said on this.

From what I’ve read. Both have a great following. The 270 having very minimal heat differences seems like a big plus to me. I would like to try a 270 out or at least see one.

Wonder how well the 270 does in wind without temp control unit? I know it has wind shield.

Both companies seem to have great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-09-2019, 09:46 PM   #3
Winterhawk1960
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Farm BBQ View Post
Interesting to see what is said on this.

From what I’ve read. Both have a great following. The 270 having very minimal heat differences seems like a big plus to me. I would like to try a 270 out or at least see one.

Wonder how well the 270 does in wind without temp control unit? I know it has wind shield.

Both companies seem to have great customer service.

I've seen a 270 in action, and spoke with the owner's at length, REALLY fine people. Whatever my decision is, will have a guru attached.
Winterhawk1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 PM   #4
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

I’ll let you know what I think about the 270 tomorrow after my first smoke on it!

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #5
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

I picked up a used 270 Standard last month. Was trying to make the same decision. Did a lot of research on this forum and surfing the world wide interweb. Lots of great reviews from owners of both.

Basically came down to what I could get in my area. First cook on it was ridiculously easy and turned out pretty darn well. Family and friends certainly didn’t complain about it. I couldn’t be happier with my choice. If there had been a Battle Box available used in my area, I would have bought that one instead and I’m sure I would have been just as happy!
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-10-2019, 07:21 AM   #6
Monte Cristo
is one Smokin' Farker

I have the 270 sumo. I was looking for something that could be used in winter with little attention to it.

It is all that and more...I do see how the have a windshiled now, but I have literally never needed anything...no wind shields, no temp controllers, no nothing. It cooks awesome BBQ and I couldn't be happier.

Super bowl sunday I did my first ever brisket (10lbs), I did 3 racks of ribs, moinkballs, and pork shots. I started the cooker at 5:30am, brisket in at 6:30, ribs in at 8:30...everything was done at 2pm. It was honestly the best day I've had cooking BBQ. Everything was sensational...and I had left the house for a few hours in between. I used no temp controller, nothing...and it was a colllldddd start to the morning that day.

I did pay a boat load to ship it up here but I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure the humphrey's is a quality product, I have no experience with them.

Now I want one of their bigger models.

Old 02-10-2019, 08:34 AM   #7
Free Mr. Tony
is One Chatty Farker

I really don't see how much better a 270 could run with a guru. Maybe if you are trying to do a marathon 24 hour session or something, you may get some more life out of your coals. I ran the sumo for 12-14 hours without touching the intake.
Free Mr. Tony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 10:16 AM   #8
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Free Mr. Tony View Post
I really don't see how much better a 270 could run with a guru. Maybe if you are trying to do a marathon 24 hour session or something, you may get some more life out of your coals. I ran the sumo for 12-14 hours without touching the intake.

^^^This. My favorite feature of the 270 is that you can run it without any gadgets at all.

Old 02-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #9
InThePitBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

Those 270's are amazing, I've seen lots of them at comps and their owner's were the only ones really getting much sleep at night and the only electronics used were just probe wires run down the exhaust openings.

Their ability to hold a desired temp with only the air inlet is unmatched.
InThePitBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #10
Home Farm BBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Justin

270 owners. Do they cook faster than normal Bbq times you have been used to?

Anyone used in high winds with no wind breaks?

Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 03:07 PM   #11
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
As far as speed, the same temp in two smokers will get you the same results.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2019, 03:14 PM   #12
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
As far as speed, the same temp in two smokers will get you the same results.
Owners usually claim faster cooking because of convection. I agree with your comment though. Never cooked on one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-10-2019, 03:41 PM   #13
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Love my 270s!! Been using them for 3+ years. A lot of great comments above. Yes I think they cook quicker because of the convection effect. I have had no need to run a guru thingy; i know exactly where to set my vent to hold 250-265 for hours. Never had issues with the elements; just adapt like you would with other cookers.

I have a rack of comp ribs running now and also a peach dump cake on the top rack. Good stuff. I dont think you can go wrong with either choice.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:57 PM   #14
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

Anyone used in high winds with no wind breaks?

YES for sure...my 12-lb brisket has already hit 200 IT after just 5 hours at 275. It's the convection affect.

Old 02-10-2019, 04:03 PM   #15
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacrX View Post
YES for sure...my 12-lb brisket has already hit 200 IT after just 5 hours at 275. It's the convection affect.
Yeah same. Had a good size prime packer cook in about 7 hours last weekend.