MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-14-2019, 02:11 PM   #16
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

I have a Kamado Joe Big Joe, Akorn Jr. and now an Timberline 1300. I think this is the perfect combination of grills for me. I replaced a rusting out Akorn with the Timberline. I think a Kamado style grill and a pellet grill are a great combo. I would highly recommend the Kamado Joe lineup for a ceramic grill. I wouldn't get anything but a ceramic for a larger grill. The Akorn Jr. is perfect for small cooks and portability, when it rusts out it's easily replaced and a ceramic grill will last forever, without rusting out like the big Akorn.

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-14-2019, 02:31 PM   #17
4ever3
Babbling Farker

Third vote for the Weber Summit...

To me it’s the only answer if your going to buy a kamado...

Old Oklahoma Joe
Weber Smokey Joe
Weber Jumbo Smokey Joe
Weber Classic Premium (Jessi)
Weber Summit Charcoal (Waylon)
GMG Daniel Boone

“Life is a luminous pause between two great mysteries, which themselves are one.” Carl Jung
4ever3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 03:08 PM   #18
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4ever3 View Post
Third vote for the Weber Summit...

To me it’s the only answer if your going to buy a kamado...
I don't own one but if you are wanting to decide to get rid of everything else and have one cooker, that is a kamado style, I would forth this! The Summit grill looks like a very good option, and I have had my hands on one to look close. I still say that you have better versatility, keeping the M1, particularly for the stick burn option.

Old 02-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #19
Mrhdvrod
Knows what a fatty is.

If I was going to sell everything and just go Kamado I’d do it the right way and get a Komodo kamado. It can do low and slow, high heat so the TEC is covered, and everything in between. Super fuel efficient and because it uses refractory cement less likely to have the cracking issues that some of the ceramics get. Best of all its a work of art (as long as you like the looks). The KK 32 big bad in metallic bronze is my wish list smoker, I actually almost bought it several times but I really do enjoy the simplicity of the pellet and the product it pouts out. For what a KK costs I don’t want it to not use it on a regular basis and with my current schedule I really couldn’t use it as much as I use the Mak, that being said if I had to reduce to 1 cooker and it was going to be a long term thing, the KK would get my investment, it could replace my PK, Hunsaker and to a point my MAK.
Mrhdvrod is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 08:50 PM   #20
lunchman
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeberWho View Post
I'd be worried about using a cast iron grill and cracking. Especially when searing.

Tin you will need to worry about eventual rust and eventual burn out of it .
I have never worried about my Goldens' CI Cooker cracking when searing. Sorry, it's just not gonna happen. It's not gonna rust either.

Trust me, after nearly two years of ownership the cooker is bulletproof. I haven't had a single thing go wrong with it.

I have had a ceramic Kamado that cracked (discussed in a previous thread some months ago).

And after about 8 years of ownership, I had to rebuild my Bubba Keg (dual steel wall Kamado) due to rust through.

I'm not sure why you're leaning towards a Kamado, I would think your M1 offers everything a Kamado grill offers.

-lunchman

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-14-2019, 09:04 PM   #21
jermoQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrhdvrod View Post
For what a KK costs I don’t want it to not use it on a regular basis and with my current schedule I really couldn’t use it as much as I use the Mak, that being said if I had to reduce to 1 cooker and it was going to be a long term thing, the KK would get my investment.
Those are VERY nice, and pretty, but the size of a KK to me doesnt make paying more than a nice, used car seem very worth it. Those were the first kamado that I saw 12 years ago when I started getting serious about bbq, and I liked he looks of them a lot. But the sticker shock keeps me from even going to the website to look anymore.