MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:33 PM   #1
2PigsBBQ
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Brian
Default Hot and fast trial run (long)

I normally like to cook between 225 and 250. A buddy of mine has been preaching 275-325 fo awhile now. I finally decided to give it a go.

1st I did two racks of St. Louis ribs. On the longer rack I used Victory lane. Jalepeno season, chipotle honey and cherry.
The shorter rack I used Oakridge. HDD, comp beef & pork and finished it off with dominator.

For the sauce I used Mitchs womp with some apple cherry habanero rib candy.

I also threw in 4 pork shoulders to make room in the freezer. Rubbed with Victory chipotle honey and cherry.

I put the meat on when the smoker hit 225. Ran the smoker steady at 300-310. Used weber charcoal and apple and cherry wood.

Both racks were done around 2hrs and 20min. The color is much darker then I'm used to. I'm assuming it's because the high heat and sugar content of rubs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a lot to learn. Haha. The flavor was terrific in both. The bark was good not hard at all despite what the pictures look like.

The pork butts were done in about 6hrs. They were all about 10lbs. It had good bark but I think I like the bark at 225° better. Also while most of the pork butt pulled perfect it got a bit tougher closer to the bone. That's on me for not probing in more spots I think. I cooked the butts to between 195-201.

I think with more practice I would stick with hot and fast mainly because I didnt notice to much difference with the end product but a huge difference in cook time. It was nice starting and ending my cook in daylight. Haha. I'm sure 225 will happen from time to time.

Thanks for reading all of that. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190213_124403.jpg (92.9 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 103357.jpg (23.5 KB, 177 views)
File Type: jpg 103355.jpg (25.1 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 20190213_160441.jpg (111.5 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg 20190213_153119.jpg (70.9 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg 103353.jpg (38.4 KB, 177 views)

Old 02-13-2019, 04:50 PM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Did you wrap either? I cook hot on the drums, but wrap when the bark is the color that I like, and then cook until tender.

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-13-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
2PigsBBQ

I didnt wrap either one. I probably should have wrapped after the first hour or so. I'll absolutely wrap next time. Will it extend the cook time or will they be done in about the same amount of time? Thanks

Old 02-13-2019, 05:03 PM   #4
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wrap based on color.

Also I find letting the rub sweat into the meat for 30-60 minutes helps with scorching

Help us raise funds to feed our Veterans and Homeless HERE

www.gofundme.com/2s8fv5qs
smoke ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2PigsBBQ View Post
I didnt wrap either one. I probably should have wrapped after the first hour or so. I'll absolutely wrap next time. Will it extend the cook time or will they be done in about the same amount of time? Thanks
Actually, it will shorten the cook time

The Naked Fatty!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2019, 05:14 PM   #6
2PigsBBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Wrap based on color.

Also I find letting the rub sweat into the meat for 30-60 minutes helps with scorching
Ahh good to know. I rubbed and threw it right on the smoker. I'll be sure to add that to my notes. Thanks!!!

Old 02-14-2019, 06:46 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Looks great! 300° is my general cook temp for just about everything and my food comes out really good. As you've found out cooking a bit hotter with sugary rubs can really darken the meat quickly, so wrapping when you get a good color will help with that. But, as you noted, food was still great and that's all that really matters.

I've done 200-225 and up to 375-400 and outside of finishing temp I don't notice much difference at all in the final product. The only "problem" with cooking at those high temps is you really have to watch the meat closely when you're getting near the end of the cook. And venting...if you wrap you'll need to vent for longer than usual to allow all that meat to cool off a bit before re-wrapping / holding / resting.

Gorilla Fabrications Wood/Propane Hog style smoker
SmoothBoarBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->