What's the earliest you can season ribs?

KSUE

Found some matches.
Reaction score
I am off for a few days and plan on doing a couple of cooks. I have already trimmed and seasoned 2 briskets for tomorrow morning. My 2nd cook will be 3 racks of st louis ribs. My smoker isn't big enough for all that meat at the same time. I plan on cooking ribs either Monday or Wednesday. With those days, would it be too early to season them today? I don't want to have it over seasoned if that is even possible. Am I just over thinking this? Would love a few opinions. Thanks!

I season all meats right after I start the charcoal for a cook, when I first started getting into smoking I used todo it the night before, never noticed a difference. I also used to cook everything at 225 I don't do that anymore either but to each his/her own whatever stokes your fire.

I usually use a sweeter profile for ribs. Going to use T
John Henry's Pecan rub and try the Traeger sweet rub.

I grew up with a Mom that ALWAYS prepped her meats early; chicken for frying, steak or roast for the oven. I guess that's where I get it from... She hates to not have flavor through and through her food. I need to try the prep right before the cook.

I usually use a sweeter profile for ribs. Going to use T
John Henry's Pecan rub and try the Traeger sweet rub.

I've used that same John Henry's Pecan and love it.

You should be fine to go ahead whenever you'd like.

I grew up with a Mom that ALWAYS prepped her meats early; chicken for frying, steak or roast for the oven. I guess that's where I get it from... She hates to not have flavor through and through her food. I need to try the prep right before the cook.
Try both ways and see what you think because that's all that's important. I prepped a rack of ribs the night before and one about an hour before they went into the cooker, I didn't notice a difference nor did anyone else that sampled the ribs. As far as flavor, I want the meat to be the star of the show, seasoning/rubs just compliment it.

I don't like the bark I get from pre-rubbing my ribs. The texture I get from just rubbed ribs has a more crunchy texture without being too dry.

Beentown, that is kinda what I am trying to avoid. I don't want to have them taste "cured". I think I may wait until maybe the night before I cook to play it safe. I may even try to do 2 slabs seasoned the night prior and 1 right before. Thanks for all the feedback and one liners... :clap:

Another for while the cooker is warming unless you want to marinate them.

The last ribs I cooked were just SPOG no sauce and I loved them. I did give them about 30 minutes in foil with a little butter

I always start my charcoal then go back inside and prep and season my ribs. By the time my smoker or grill is up to temp, I'm ready to put the ribs on. I do the same for all my meats with the exception being when I brine or marinate lean pork or poultry.

I season ribs right before I put them on the smoker. I will season Briskets the night before and put them in the frig over night. Pretty much everything else I season right before I cook it.

Wayne

Not only do I rub while the coals are starting, I even mix up the rub I feel like using that day then. All part of the fun!

Back