Meat Slicer

ricksegers

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Does anybodyhave any suggestions as to a electric meat slicer? I have been researching them and so far none of the seem to be outstanding unless you spend several hundred dollars. Needless to say my budget is probably no more than $125. Am I dreaming to gett a decent one at this price?

Does anybodyhave any suggestions as to a electric meat slicer? I have been researching them and so far none of the seem to be outstanding unless you spend several hundred dollars. Needless to say my budget is probably no more than $125. Am I dreaming to gett a decent one at this price?

What do you want to slice with it? How thick or thin do you want to slice it?

I've also been looking into slicers. Unless you are lloking into light duty (lunch meat, small roasts), you won't get much. the old adage "you get what you pay for" holds true for meat slicers.

I've gotten used to things around 1/4" thick, but if there were something out there that would be awesome. Lately I've been watching Restaurant auctions hoping....

I've seen a meat slicer over here in Nebraska for only $20, and it was a really good one!

Check cabelas.com, it has a few from lowbuck to the fancy restaraunt grade. They look pretty solid, too. jpw has one that looks pretty nice as well. Maybe he'll chime in.

Got this from HSN.....seems to work pretty good, I have no complaints and it is inside your budget.
slicer.jpg

Check out ebay for your area. Look for a Hobart. If you pay less than $750 for a used unit you are doing well.

No offense, but $125 is a good knife. An economy slicer is $400. A good slicer is $1,000.

No offense, but $125 is a good knife. An economy slicer is $400. A good slicer is $1,000.
$1000.00 is overkill for most home users.....the one I have does just fine for what I use it for...that said, if I were a caterer and the like, then fine...spend more on something better. 125.00 for a knife? I have 30.00 knives that have good steel, sharpen well and I would put them up against more expensive ones. High price does not always mean quality.

Thanks for the input. What I will be slicing is BBB, brisket, lunch meat, turkey breast etc. Obviously ease of cleaning would be a big plus. It would be home use. I have purchased some small appliaces (deep fryer and the like) from HSN and QVC and have been pleased but for some reason this was something I wanted to look at in person if possible.

Rick

Got this from HSN.....seems to work pretty good, I have no complaints and it is inside your budget.
slicer.jpg

I got one of these @ Christmas Warring pro 150. Nice slicer works OK clean up is a pain IMHO. I will keep it though.

Good observation Rick. The cleanup part can suck with some of them. I've got an old, and I mean old, Rival that you can remove the motor from and wash the rest in the sink, or dishwasher. I hunted evilbay for months looking for one, then my brother came over one night and saw what I was looking for. He gave me one he had and didn't use. I use it a lot.

I got one of these @ Christmas Warring pro 150. Nice slicer works OK clean up is a pain IMHO. I will keep it though.
yeah...did not think about that....clean up is a pain but, for the price...I can live with it.

I got rally lucky and picked up a Hobart 1700 series on ebay for $150.00. Shipping was another $100.00. 12 " blade, automatic feed and too heavy too move around by myself. Works perfect and I havn't found anything that will even slow it down. They are out there, be patient and don't settle for less than what you want. You WILL find it. NUTZ

This is the same as the one I got. And it looks like a great price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Hobart-slicer-m...ryZ25374QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited:
I have been searching CL for a few months for a used Hobart. Sometimes I get impatient... but I am trying to hold out.

Saw one for $200 a few weeks ago but it had a ton of rust on it.

About 4 or 5 years ago I started looking for a decent slicer. I went to a couple of resturant and/or meat dept auctions, but everything went for way more than I could afford. One of my sons called one day & asked if I still wanted to get one. Someone that he works with buys, refurbishes & sells all kinds of food service stuff. Anyhow, I ended up with an old Hobart, no auto feed, about 10 1/2 inch blade, has the sharpener attatchment for $225.00:-D. This thing is so old that it has a toggle switch in the back for on / off.
I have used it pretty often with no probs, but it is a beotch to tear apart & clean. Keep your eyes open & tell everyone that you're looking. Good luck:biggrin:.

Back