Backwoods or Stumps?

shnmclr

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am a backyard guy and I've been using a 22.5" WSM for the last 3 years. I'm wanting to upgrade and I've been looking at the Backwoods Chubby and the Stumps Baby. I realize the Backwoods is closer to what I currently use as far as being a water smoker and the Stumps is a gravity fed, but just wondering if others out there use these and what are the pros and cons you've seen. Thanks for any input!

If you want gravity feed smoker, Stumps is a good choice. I have an xl baby and love it.

Eric

Several questions:
* How will you use the cooker: backyard/Family use, Some comps, heavy comps, large cooks?
* How important is sleep?
* Are you only considering vertical?
* Budget?
* Space a concern?
* Mobility?

My use is strictly backyard. Never more than a couple of butts at a time or maybe 4-5 slabs of ribs. Space is at a premium so that is why I'm leaning toward a vertical smoker. Just wanting something that will perform in cold weather as well as warmer temps. I've been using a BBQguru party Q for the last year and would definitely want something that could handle a guru unit as well.

I have an Assassin and I'm very happy with it but it would be too big for your needs. I think a Humphrey's may be a good fit for your requirements. I was at a comp recently and talked to several Humphrey's owners and everyone had nothing but good things to say about them.

The Memphis Barbecue Supply store here (http://mbbqsupply.com) is very soon going to start carrying a locally procuded "Backwoods-style" smoker. I was talking to the store owner at a contest recently. He said they would be much cheaper though. I wish I could rembmer the comparison he made, but it escapes me. I'm pretty excited to see the product, though. Might be worth waiting to find out.

I was going to buy a Backwoods Competitor but then I stumbled across a Humphrey's Down East Beast, the comparable size and the high quality made it become my final decision for my purchase....

I was in the same boat recently. Customer reviews, price and build quality lead me to humphreys. I couldn't be more happy with my decision

I recently had a similar decision to make and went with the Humphrey's. Can't wait to go pick it up.

Do yourself a favor and call Jay at Spicewine Ironworks. He builds cookers that will last more than a lifetime. I have his large model but the Medium is more than enough of a cooker for most uses.

Good luck with your choice.

Attachments

• DSC01976.jpg
    DSC01976.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 169
  • cleaned up.jpg
    cleaned up.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 168
Take a look at the Deep South Single Chamber (small). Very affordable and extremely well built. I recently looked at Stump's, Southern Q, Pitmaker, Backwoods and Assassin, but I kept coming back to gravity fed and Deep South because of how well it is built. Ultimately, you will be happy with any of these.

Back