MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:30 AM   #1
damartin
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default First whole pig

Hello brothers,
I've got a MC PR42 and will be roasting my first porker. Thinking about stuffing the thing with some kind of link sausage, maybe a chicken.
What my main concern is, what spices or rubs to use and even more important, how to prepare. Do I de-bone as much as possible including remove the ribcage?
Thanks
damartin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2015, 09:15 AM   #2
daninnewjersey
Babbling Farker

This is one I did not too long ago. You really don't need to do much to them other than wash off any excess blood and crap and then pat dry. I rub down with a little olive oil, start drinking the beer, and cook about 250-ish. You really don't need to add stuff to the inside if you don't want to.....

Last edited by daninnewjersey; 02-27-2021 at 05:42 AM..
daninnewjersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2015, 05:33 PM   #3
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Skin on or off?
No no need to de-bone anything, it comes apart real easy when it's done.
Rubs are really a waste of time on a whole hog in my experience. The cook is too long and the rubs will usually burn and ruin your cracklins.

Yup 250 or so and let her ride...................tasty as all get out when it's done

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-30-2015, 06:23 PM   #4
dwfisk

Name/Nickname : Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daninnewjersey View Post
This is one I did not too long ago. You really don't need to do much to them other than wash off any excess blood and crap and then pat dry. I rub down with a little olive oil, start drinking the beer, and cook about 250-ish. You really don't need to add stuff to the inside if you don't want to.....
^ THAT is one pretty pig!

Edit: to OP's question, naw don't worry about deboning, jusy olive oil & salt on the skin and your favorite pork rub on the inside; I'm partial to Oakridge rubs or Byron's. There is a realiy neat vid on the www that shows how to prep for a foil wrap, just search on "whole hog foil wrap"; I find domestic hogs only need a couple hours of smoke before wrapping to get that super mahogany color.

Last edited by dwfisk; 09-30-2015 at 06:43 PM..
dwfisk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-2015, 10:20 PM   #5
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are you butterflying or doing racer style or some other way? I do racer style in my offset. A couple heads of cabbage to protect the ribs and loins from overcooking.

I'll rub the skin down with oil and hit the inside generally with s&p, maybe onion and garlic powders, sometimes I'll use a rub. I injected the last one with the Chris Lily injection recipe (salt cut in half) with great results. I foil the piggy a little bit before I hit the color I like.

To me it seems that what's really going on when cooking a pig is fire tending. That's key IMO. If the fire's good all the way through you should be fine - just allow enough time and put in a buffer of at least an hour maybe 2.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-30-2015, 11:20 PM   #6
jacob

Name/Nickname : Bobby

I'm hoping to do a whole hog one day. Probably make up a lean too spit to lean over the fire. I seen it done once, and it was a sight to see for sure.
Courtesy of Ray Lampe
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2015, 07:53 AM   #7
markdtn
is one Smokin' Farker

This is the second one I did. The first I tried to do in the ground and it was an epic fail. This one we just washed out and then rubbed it down inside with some of our favorite rub (I don't remember which, sorry). Put olive oil on the outside, but probably not enough. This one was small, so it didn't take too long to cook. It was quite tasty.

markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-01-2015, 08:00 AM   #8
DUBBAGA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtr View Post
A couple heads of cabbage to protect the ribs and loins from overcooking.
It makes for a great Mad Scientist reveal moment when you pull the cabbage too

Humphrey's Long Weekender, UDS, Red Box Smoker, SJS/Tamale Pot Smoker, Weber Performer, Weber 18.5 OTS, Alton Brown Flower Pot Smoker (died), Blue Ember Gasser (died}

Member of the Hall of Zero's (Noobians v. Veterans Throwdown)
DUBBAGA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-2015, 11:45 PM   #9
Trailer Trash
is one Smokin' Farker

All I did was inject it 50/50 red vinegar & apple cider. Rub down with grapeseed oil & rubbed inside and out with a bit of salt. Pinned a double folded length of aluminum foil down the inside length of the loin meat with skewers to protect from drying out). Put 80 Lbs.r on MC PR60 @ 250° to 300° for 9 hours (1 hour per 10 Lbs. + 1). It was very, very good!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (71.2 KB, 179 views)

Old 10-02-2015, 02:48 AM   #10
jacob

Name/Nickname : Bobby

Beautiful presentation, I would have enjoyed sharing that with you.
Courtesy of Ray Lampe
jacob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2015, 05:36 AM   #11
cheez59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Trash View Post
All I did was inject it 50/50 red vinegar & apple cider. Rub down with grapeseed oil & rubbed inside and out with a bit of salt. Pinned a double folded length of aluminum foil down the inside length of the loin meat with skewers to protect from drying out). Put 80 Lbs.r on MC PR60 @ 250° to 300° for 9 hours (1 hour per 10 Lbs. + 1). It was very, very good!
It's been a few years since I got to partake in a pig picking. The meat on the whole pig is so tender and juicy it is unbelievable. Beautiful job!
Lone Star Grillz mini insulated cabinet.Lonestar Grillz 20x42 offset. Broil King Baron Gasser, Vortex and Slow & Sear Plus, Weber 26" Original Premium, Weber Smoky Joe, Cajun Fryer 8-1/2 & 4 Gallon, The Big Easy oil-less fryer, BBQ Guru CyberQ Cloud, BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2, Thermoworks Smoke, Maverick XR-50
cheez59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2015, 09:57 AM   #12
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think it's scientifically impossible to not have fun at a pig roast.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-02-2015, 04:30 PM   #13
Untraceable
Babbling Farker

I'm doing my first at the end of the month. Getting excited. Just need the metal parts

Untraceable is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hog, pig, prep, prepare, Roast