Vinegar Sauce for Pulled Pork

grillnputt

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Anyone have a good vinegar sauce for pulled pork? The 1st time I tried it I was hooked. Unfortunately I can't find that recipe.

I mix up 3.5oz of yellow mustard, 3.5oz of pickle juice (or pepperoncini juice) and 1oz of Crystal hot sauce in a 8oz squirt bottle.

I use it for a slather on meats before rubs and when I’m pulling pork. Simple and tangy with a bite.

This one is Robb's:

Pork Butt Sauce

Enough for 2 pork butts

3 cups apple cider vinegar
1.5 cups brown sugar
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tbsp salt
2 tbsp pepper
2 tbsp of red pepper flakes (optional)
Squirt of your favorite hot sauce to taste (optional)

Combine ingredients and simmer for a few mins to throughly incorporate.

Authentic eastern NC sauce is dead simple. It's not really a sauce, more of a finishing seasoning. I've seen some folks just put the individual ingredients on the chopped pork and mix it in.

Vinegar (ACV is traditional, can also use distilled)
Salt
Black Pepper
Crushed red pepper

Mix and let the pepper infuse the vinegar for a few hours. Sprinkle sparingly on the chopped pork and then taste. Add more if needed. Don't overdo it - you can't slather this stuff on like you do a KC sauce.

Combine defatted pork jus (from the butt) and apple cider vinegar in a 1:1 ratio. Season with salt and pepper to taste. This is your base. You can take it in many different directions - paprika for color, cayenne for heat, brown sugar for sweetness, garlic/onion (etc) for flavor.

Keith's Famous Pulled Pork Finishing and Dipping Sauce

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup catsup ( I use all natural- no corn syrup)
TB red pepper flakes
TS worstershire sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
TS salt
TS cayenne pepper

Simmer after you make it and again before serving.

1/2 for the pull and half for sammies

Got it from Fwismoker in this thread

Being from High Point, NC originally, I roll with Lexington style vinegar sauce. Something like this...

3/4 cup ketchup
6 Tbs. light brown sugar
3 Tbs. sugar
1.5 Tbs. kosher salt
2 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. red chile flakes
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

Then there's Sir Porkalot's Lexington style finishing sauce. I have used this a lot and really like it.

Lexington Style Finishing Sauce

Ingredients

2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon ground white pepper
1/2 tablespoon red pepper flakes (or up to 1 tablespoon, if you like hotter sauce)
1/2 teaspoon coarsely-ground black pepper

Mix all ingredients together and let sit 10 minutes. Add to chopped barbecue when hot to season the meat and keep it from drying out.

Blues hog original and Tennessee Red...mixed 50/50. Perfect mix of sweet and heat.

Being from High Point, NC originally, I roll with Lexington style vinegar sauce. Something like this...

3/4 cup ketchup
6 Tbs. light brown sugar
3 Tbs. sugar
1.5 Tbs. kosher salt
2 tsp. white pepper
2 tsp. red chile flakes
1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

The right stuff ^^^^^

It’s almost identical to mine that Mikhail posted above

Eastern NC sauces are usually just vinegar & some spices. Western NC they add some ketchup into the mix.

Back