MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #1
2Bros.BBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Cool Catering Company wants me to Cater BBQ meats

Need some advice from those that do this regularly---
Catering company has contacted me and requested that I "prepare" the meat that they offer on their bbq catering menu. They want the meat prepared and presented to them ready to serve (meaning hot). They have requested a "per person" price for each meat with a minimum guarantee of 25 ppl per catering request. The meats available on their menu are pulled chicken, pulled pork, sausages, brisket and ribs. My questions: #1. Has anyone been contacted to simply cater meats for a catering company and is this normal, #2. How do I go about determining cost per plate, #3. Is cost per plate the norm if you are simply preparing the meat and not all of the sides and deserts? My initial thought was that my pricing should be based upon cost per pound, xtras (rubs, marinade etc) and time spent preparing/cooking. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance.
2Bros.BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 11:41 AM   #2
txschutte
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Sounds weird to me.

If they are a catering company, why aren't they cooking?

Sounds like somebody is getting ready to cut your legs off.

If you really care about this place, you'll show some respect for it.

Your beard is so stupid, it took two hours to watch 60 Minutes.
txschutte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 11:49 AM   #3
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

Something just doesn't sound right here. My biggest question is "whay are they asking".

First off,, how are you associated with the caterer? Have they tasted your food,, family member, or are they simply requesting bids as a way to cut costs?

I don't have a dollar answer for you, but I would remind you that if you decide to, it should be to make you a profit,, not the caterer. Seems there would be an awful lot of logistics involved too. And liabilty?? If you move forward with a contract ( and there should be one ), take your time and seriously think about what could go wrong,, not just what can go right.

Good Luck!

Old 10-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Bros.BBQ View Post
Need some advice from those that do this regularly---
Catering company has contacted me and requested that I "prepare" the meat that they offer on their bbq catering menu. They want the meat prepared and presented to them ready to serve (meaning hot). They have requested a "per person" price for each meat with a minimum guarantee of 25 ppl per catering request. The meats available on their menu are pulled chicken, pulled pork, sausages, brisket and ribs. My questions: #1. Has anyone been contacted to simply cater meats for a catering company and is this normal, #2. How do I go about determining cost per plate, #3. Is cost per plate the norm if you are simply preparing the meat and not all of the sides and deserts? My initial thought was that my pricing should be based upon cost per pound, xtras (rubs, marinade etc) and time spent preparing/cooking. Any suggestions and help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance.
#1: I have not, however, this is very common in the catering world out here, for cooks who do not possess the experience or equipment for a specialized food item, to outsource. BBQ is one of those things that many caterers do not have the ability to fulfill within house. It is one of the hottest, if not the hottest requested item for catering right now.

#2: Yes, catering is almost always quoted as 'per person' or 'per plate' as this is the easiest way for non-caterers to understand what they are paying for. In fact, most folks in general, work on how many people are being fed, and not on weight. However, all BBQ quotes have to start with weight, as that is how BBQ ingredients are procured.

#3: In order to prepare a good estimate, and all good business starts with a detailed contract, which starts with good estimating, you have to prepare a format that covers all of your costs. That means, a detailed explanation of every cost, and how that cost translates to plate quantities. In essence, detail what each meat costs per serving.

e.g.
1 value serving is 1/4 pound "finished meat product", with sauce = $3.00
1 normal serving is 1/3 pound "finished meat product", with sauce = $4.50
1 large serving is 1/2 pound "finished meat product", with sauce = $8.00

and on and on. "finished meat product is a place holder, as most meats will vary in price. Personally, I would itemize out each meat based upon cost, and add in that the prices are subject to change in response to meat and fuel costs.

Do not quote prices for a year, or even 6 months.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-14-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
GA1dad
Full Fledged Farker

Good response landarc,, very informative.

Old 10-14-2015, 12:17 PM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I wouldn't worry about being low in price either. Now, I don't know about where you live, but, for catering purposes in Norther California, average per person prices will be in the $18 to $25 per person range, for BBQ, it generally runs to the higher end of that number for plated service.

I no longer cook professionally, however, I still get approached to provide BBQ meats, and it is surprisingly often. Even very skilled chefs and cooks are intimidated by BBQ.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2015, 02:18 PM   #7
HBMTN
is Blowin Smoke!

If you are not a legal business trying to make a profit then you will be better off in my opinion to contract with them under a "Pitmaster Fee" of sorts where they supply all meats and you simply cook it for a given price that would be considered a wage paid to you for your time. So basically you would be a employee of theirs. Otherwise it gets complicated with business license, insurance, health permits, taxes, liabilities and much more. I cook barbecue for other caterers from time to time but it's more of helping the people who help me. They may send me gigs when they are booked, etc.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:06 PM   #8
2Bros.BBQ
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default thanks

thank you for all of your replies; very helpful!
2Bros.BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catering, Questions