My 18 inch weiner

Fatback Joe

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
It had been a long time since I made homemade hotdogs and finally got around to doing something about that. Most of the time, I will make one longer than the rest just for weiner jokes. :icon_blush: As you know, you can make a sausage any length you want as long as you have a casing to meet the need. Due to various limitations, it seemed that 18 inches would be the magic number to go with.

I went with pork, chicken, and proscuitto for the meats. I wasn't too concerned with the pork/chicken ratio, but went with 10% (by weight) for the proscuitto as the flavor can take take over.

VJnBZFB.jpg

I ran all the meat through the grinder a total of six times to get it to the consistency that I wanted.

zgGUgPy.jpg

Mixed the meat with

2.2% sea salt
.3% black pepper
.3% paprika
.3% mustard powder
.25% cure #1
2% white sugar
3% milk powder

Mixed on medium speed in the KA until it looked like this.

XmUNY8P.jpg

Loaded into the stuffer with sheep casings to hold it all together.

eb4wPVW.jpg

fBmbcGA.jpg

Twisted them up and back in the fridge over night. Yesterday, I decided to give them a little "cold" smoke. Cherry wood for just over an hour around 140 degrees.

RuG1e7i.jpg

I didn't hang the big one to help it keep its shape.

0qFBlMp.jpg

They went right from the smoker to the sous vide at 150 for a little over 3 hours.

I had to cut into one to check the texture etc even though there wouldn't be much I could do about it at this stage in the game. :roll:

36crDIo.jpg

Yep, it's a hot dog. I cooled them down and let them hang in the fridge until supper time. Made a few regular size for the family and put the long one on last so I could give it my undivided attention and try not to break it.

Success

rRllZ99.jpg

zwVEw9i.jpg

Mixed reviews on this batch due to the proscuitto coming through. My daughter didn't like them at all, my wife was fine with it but would prefer it wasn't in there, my daughter's boyfriend had no complaints, but he is basically a goat and will eat any damn thing so he doesn't count. :roll:

I thought they were great, but could see how some people might not care for them. The proscuitto definitely brought an aged kind of funk to the party that I really liked.

Oh.......and credit to the wife for making the bun. :clap2:

Thanks for lookin' :thumb:

I'd hit it. I like the prosciutto in there and I think I'd enjoy it.

U need this.

iu

And this:

iu

Add a little mustard and onion and you are all set.

Wow! That is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind. That was a very creative venture.

You got a tasty looking weiner man! Sorry it didn't go over. I understand about making something you really like but not other people. I made some Mac n cheese for a family get-together requested by my sis n law from Tik-Tok. It had several cheeses in it, including gruyere. I thought it was great. My love and her sis, said it "tasted like feet". The gruyere did not make it a WOW. Oh well. You had a creative way to make some sausage though.

Nice sheath, Joe
I suppose patience comes with age, you waited more than 3 days and until page 2 to chime in.

I used to be able to fill a sheath like that, but things wear out. Mrs. G-man and I have needed to purchase a new toy, been really frustrating since the Kitchen Aid stuffer started to fail.

Back