Introducing The Most Affordable Gravity Fed Insulated Cabinet Smoker on the Market

I bought mine the week before Thanksgiving, and unfortunately will be returning it this Friday. Not sure if I got a defective smoker or not, but I have noticed that the front of the smoker in the fire cute area is extremely too hot too touch. I haven't measured the surface temp in this area, but I would estimate it at around 200 degrees or slightly more. The rest of the cooker is cool to touch, but this area is extremely hot to touch. This doesn't bother me too much, but the lack of airflow that I have experienced with this smoker is not acceptable. From startup to get up to 275 degrees takes 1-1/2 - 2 hours - even with the fire box door open. I can even deal with this as well, and just start it up earlier, as I really want to love this smoker. The real problem is the recovery time though. My second cook was some ribs, and after taking the ribs out to wrap and put back in the smoker, after an hour, the internal temp was just barely back over 200. Also, kept nice size chunks in the fire box the entire cook with very little smoke flavor at all.
I was just about to submit my order for a new Smoke X4 w/ Billows, and I am sure that this would help tremendously, but I just got to thinking that I am trying too hard to like this smoker. I feel that a temp controller should improve on temp consistency, and be an addition and NOT a requirement. If this smoker cannot get up to, and maintain temperature on its own I just don't feel like it is a smoker that I want to keep.
Academy said that they will return the smoker since I am within my 60 day purchase, so I am leaning towards a Hunsaker instead. I REALLY wanted to love this smoker, but after a very frustrating seasoning session, and 2 cooks, I just don't think this is the smoker for me.

GetChaOne....... seen one at Burleson Academy Last Nite that looked Good - door closed Nice, no warpage.

I run mine on a Pitmaster IQ120 and mix chunks in the chute. Up to temp (275-300*) in an Hour and recovers pretty decent. I leave mine in my driveway and if havnt used it in a while and have had rain - it's hard to start up as charcoal in chute gets dampish - but thats my fault for not pushing it into my garage full of junk.

I use briquettes - I don't like Lump - in my experiences lump needs alot of airflow and I always had temps bounce up n down -

Last edited:
Drive 2.5 hours to get mine. First impressions after getting it home is a middle schooler must have done the welding. Replaced the casters and hardware will get it seasoned this weekend.

Attachments

• 0166F3E2-448A-4BF1-85EB-10B96EF566DF.jpg
    0166F3E2-448A-4BF1-85EB-10B96EF566DF.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 126
  • 75B13281-839B-4CE6-98E9-B07E22524DF6.jpg
    75B13281-839B-4CE6-98E9-B07E22524DF6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 122
  • 6D2BCCE5-3CA7-40E3-AA3A-9320E449E0A1.jpg
    6D2BCCE5-3CA7-40E3-AA3A-9320E449E0A1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 122
  • CB2FACA9-C0AE-4535-A681-DB48291DF247.jpg
    CB2FACA9-C0AE-4535-A681-DB48291DF247.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 121
For 1/2 Price of Most Any other Brand I can overlook some minor issues and I ain’t scared to tweak it………

Drive 2.5 hours to get mine. First impressions after getting it home is a middle schooler must have done the welding. Replaced the casters and hardware will get it seasoned this weekend.

Congrats on the new smoker!

Which replacement casters did you use? Have a link to share?

Looking forward to all this snow melting and BBQ season starting…

Here’s an idea for an experiment: has anyone tried cooking a brisket without the heat deflector? Would that help with airflow? I know a lot of people have cut out the baffle from their Brazos to improve airflow. Wondering if removing the deflector in the GF could help as well?

Are you able to use all three shelves or do you need a water pan on the bottom shelf to mitigate heat?

Thanks

Don’t need a water pan, I sometimes use a catch pan if multi butts so drippings don’t burn on the deflector plate. I’m not sure I e even used all 3 grates, if I have it’s only been once or twice.

Burleson Academy has 1 in stock that Looks Good. Doors close Nicely.

GetChaOne. :heh:

I almost bought one last week. They rolled it out to my truck, then I opened it and there wasn't any cooking racks. They had no idea what happened to them so they canceled the sale. Maybe it wasn't meant to be.

Anyone ever get an update or hear rumors on when these may be back in stock? Seems to be unavailable except for a couple Texas locations again.

Brisket in mine Now, Ribs n Beans going in, in a lil bit……..

da392120dd2c49882bc0e741b0d2f766.jpg

7045df582009d6407c26c1423addcb44.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just wrapped the brisket and added ribs n a pan of beans……….Now time to float in the pool for a couple hours

815cd4d30a10371ee7fb473d9332c950.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No complaints with the OCGF. Kind of reminds of the A10 Warthog. Ugly, bulky shape but gets the job done and very reliable. I use a fireboard with a viper fan. No issues with getting temps up and it's very stable once lined out. For ribs and chicken it's my preferred smoker. If I'm doing a brisket and going with foil I use the OCGF to finish once the brisket is wrapped. BTU's are BTU's (Harry Soo).

Back