KCBS Judging

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
This weekend I am judging my first KCBS Comp.

I have judged other comps, both sanctioned (BCA & IBCA) and unsanctioned.

I have competed in BCA and IBCA comps, never KCBS.

I am interested in any tips, feedback, suggestions the brethren may have for me.

I would like to start entering KCBS comps in the near future, so serving as a judge seems like a good place to start.

Regards,

David

Judge only on what the cook presented.....NOT on what you wanted to see or get. Each entry must stand on its own. The hardest part is putting the meat you tasted before out of your thought process and concentrate only on the one you are tasting.
Have fun...the judges are all great people. Also, great to exchange with others at your table on what you liked, did not like.

Leave your personal likes and dislikes in your car.
Read this years KCBS rules (twice).
Take the judges online continuing education @ KCBS.us
After all scorecards are in talk about the category with the other judges.
Take your time, it's not a race.
Two good bites can clear up a score.
Enjoy your part in BBQ.
Ed

Oh, don't forget a cooler. It's a poor choice to throw away good food. If you do a good job judging a cooler doesn't matter.

Bring saltine crackers. There are never enough and they help cleanse your palette between samples/categories.

Bring a wet dish cloth/rag (put it in a plastic ziploc) to clean your fingers. Much easier to wipe them off on a wet rag than on the dry paper towels.

Read through this thread to understand perspectives from both the cooks and judges.

Back