• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

SRF "gold" wagyu brisket question

masque13

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have typically used the blacks and love em......but going into this season me and my partner are considering stepping up to the gold grade.

for those of you who have cooked the golds, did you notice much difference between the black and the gold?

was the upgrade worth it to your taste buds?

thanks in advance for your time!

I cooked golds the first half of last year thinking my brisket needs all the help in can get. I liked them but I had an inconsistent time with the points coming out like I wanted for my burnt ends. I loaded up when they had blacks on sale and my point has been much more consistent.

I cooked golds the first half of last year thinking my brisket needs all the help in can get. I liked them but I had an inconsistent time with the points coming out like I wanted for my burnt ends. I loaded up when they had blacks on sale and my point has been much more consistent.

My brisket scores got more consistent and better when I started leaving BE's out of the box.:confused:

Ok...non-comp guy here...take this for what it's worth.

How were your flats with the Gold? If they were good, I would stick with it. Aren't flat slices mandatory & burnt ends optional?

I would suggest cooking a lower grade brisket just for the point if you feel you get a more consistent product that way. Since the point is good on practically every brisket, you may be able to get away with standard Choice or even Selects...keeping your cost down, but giving you the product you desire.

How were your flats with the Gold? If they were good, I would stick with it. Aren't flat slices mandatory & burnt ends optional?

I would suggest cooking a lower grade brisket just for the point if you feel you get a more consistent product that way. Since the point is good on practically every brisket, you may be able to get away with standard Choice or even Selects...keeping your cost down, but giving you the product you desire.

Neither is required for KCBS, just 6 pieces. They are both great briskets and some of the great comp teams can probably make every part of the golds sing every time. The flats are great in both and IMO superior to anything else I personally have access to. Its a hard pill to swallow but I have started to learn only turn in what can help your box. For me I feel like my burnt ends are the best thing I cook when I nail them, so I opted for the brisket that seems to give me the most consistent point. You can definitely win with without Burnt Ends , I saw a picture of a perfect 180 on the NBBQL page a few weeks back that just had some beautiful slices. I feel like I am weighing too much on this topic since I am not really that great LOL.

I switched to golds for the first 3 comps this year and didn’t see any difference from the blacks. I’m looking around at different providers now in the hopes of finding what I assumed golds were supposed to be. For me they haven’t been worth the extra money. Maybe I’m not a big enough name to get the good stuff?

We usually get the 16-18 pounders

In fact just ordered 3 blacks from SNF earlier today for upcoming comps......after the feedback I got here decided to keep doing the blacks instead of the golds.

I’ve noticed a difference between golds and blacks. Not much, but it’s there. I’ve just rendered my gold points a little longer and it works out for us 99% of the time.

Either or both.. neither is mandatory.
Technically an entry completely of burnt ends should not be downgraded.
It should be scored ONLY on appearance taste and tenderness

We've won as much cash using Choice or Prime briskets as the high dollar Wagyu or cross bred briskets. Save some cash and cook the other briskets perfectly. Too many people throw good money after bad thinking the more they pay, the better their food is.

We've won as much cash using Choice or Prime briskets as the high dollar Wagyu or cross bred briskets. Save some cash and cook the other briskets perfectly. Too many people throw good money after bad thinking the more they pay, the better their food is.

Why would I want to show up to a contest that will have some of the best teams in the county and cook a lesser brisket than what they have? They can already outcook me so why purposely widen their gap?

Brisket has historically been my worst category. I went from blacks to golds this year and I have noticed a difference, and my scores show it. I can’t attribute my improvement to just that change though. I don’t even cook the point. I love my BEs, but in my opinion there is just so much fat marbled in the point that it is just too much of a risk to serve it to the judges. Too many judges are turned off by a BE that they think isn’t rendered enough and I refuse to let it kill my score on great slices.

Ive cooked 16-18lb golds this year and had good success. 1st and 3rd in my last comps. 15th at Desoto which was a NBBQL comp. I leave the point on the entire time the flat is, even though it probes tender 2 hrs or so earlier. The point basically needs to be overcooked to render all the fat out. I have had some noticeable variation in marbling and size. Ive cooked Blacks and pure bred wagyu as well. The golds compare more to the Pure Bred wagyu marbling wise. The Blacks Ive had honestly havent been that much better than some Costco Primes. Just remember they're all graded off the ribeye not the brisket. So a cow can have a BMS rating that makes a Gold, and only get marbling in the brisket like a Black and or vice versa.

Why would I want to show up to a contest that will have some of the best teams in the county and cook a lesser brisket than what they have? They can already outcook me so why purposely widen their gap?

If you cannot win with a Prime or Choice, cooking a "higher quality" brisket is NOT going to make a difference....that is why!!!

If you think that you can consistently win with choice, in a field where most everyone else is cooking wagyu, then you're either the best cook on the planet, or wrong.

If you think that you can consistently win with choice, in a field where most everyone else is cooking wagyu, then you're either the best cook on the planet, or wrong.

At this point, I think around 50% of the teams at any given KCBS contest in our area is cooking Wagyu. I want to say something like only 8 out of 48 teams Where not signed up for the SRF challenge at FOI.

I’m not that great of a cook to reap the benefits of golds consistently. I still undercook briskets far too often. An undercooked gold is worthless.

I’ve cooked some pretty fabulous briskets that score 165 as well, so go figure. All it takes is a bad table to render your brisket null and void

Back