MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-22-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
luckysob
Got Wood.

Default Bleeding ribs

About 70% of the racks we cook we have that bleeding issue that causes dark spots on the face of the ribs. I am always hesitant to pick it off as it usually pulls the rub off when doing this.

I am wondering how everyone else is dealing with this?

For reference:

- using WSM at 275
- tried laying flat as well as rib racks
- cooking Smithfields extra tender (refrozen after purchase)
luckysob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-22-2018, 04:10 PM   #2
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

We try to lightly brush the grease spots off right before we wrap. If there is a stubborn spot, we don't aggressively try to remove it. Sometimes the wrap liquid removes it, but if not we try to remove it at this point. If there is a bare spot, we cover lightly with rub and the sauce blends it in

We also cook on a WSM @ 275. We haven't found a good way to prevent the spots from forming

Hope this helps

Old 06-22-2018, 07:03 PM   #3
gettinbasted
is One Chatty Farker

It’s the enhanced ribs. The needles at the factory hit the bones causing them to bleed when cooked. Get Smithfield prime or commodity if it bothers you.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-22-2018, 09:18 PM   #4
Cmikes
Knows what a fatty is.

I just pick them off once it stops and throw some more rub on it. Nothing gained, nothing lost in my eyes. Like basted said, the enhanced ribs are worse, but I get a lot of them that aren’t enhanced that do it too.
Cmikes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-23-2018, 05:29 AM   #5
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
It’s the enhanced ribs. The needles at the factory hit the bones causing them to bleed when cooked. Get Smithfield prime or commodity if it bothers you.
I've had this happen with non enhanced runs lately, like the Swift slabs I just got from Costco. May have happened with whatever Sam's is carrying right now, they're "natural" whatever from IBP I think.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:10 AM   #6
Pedro7
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudsandswine View Post
I've had this happen with non enhanced runs lately, like the Swift slabs I just got from Costco. May have happened with whatever Sam's is carrying right now, they're "natural" whatever from IBP I think.
We just had it happen to us with Swift from Costco. Gently wiped it off, sprinkled on some rub, and ran it. Couldn't even tell.