PorkButt left out!! :(

rus_bro

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey there boys. So i fired up the Shirley sunday for a family gathering and WELL its no use cooking JUST a brisket on that bad boy, so threw in a pork butt as well. When everything was done I left the butt wrapped tight and tossed it in the oven so rest while we went off to dinner (around 430pm). I would say the IT of the butt was still over 200* at that time and sitting in an inch or so of its own juices.

At 4am i wake up in an absolute panic.. THE PORK IS STILL IN THE OVEN..

So i spring from my slumber and toss it in the fridge very annoyed at myself.

NOW THE BIG QUESTION, IS IT RUINED?

i am thinking since it was completely cooked, over 200 and sitting in juices when it was put aside to cool that there is a CHANCE its still good. BUT i need experts.

THANKS
rb

Happen to check the temp before putting in fridge? Was the oven preheated at all before putting butt in? I'm inclined to just consider it a loooong rest

I've done that before myself! I've never had a problem with anything I've left out overnight, so I'd just consider it a looooong rest as well.

The oven was slightly preheated from the wife making greenbean wraps (#unneeded information).

rb

12 hours from smoker to fridge....seems a bit much...i've done 3-4 hours wrapped in a cooler and had it still be too hot to pull without gloves...

but 12 hours seems a bit long to me.

Chance of food poisoning over a $15 pork butt isn't worth it in my opinion...

Stlsportster, Its not the $15, its the 11 hours prior to resting....

Its too bad you didn't check the temp when you pulled it out at 4am. If the temp was at 150 or higher, you'd be fine. Without knowing that, its all a gamble. Let's say it took 6 hours to drop from 200 to 150, that means it sat in nasty temp zone for about 6 hours... I'd probably pitch it.

In college, I’ve eaten pizza for lunch that was from a party the night before. Just saying!

Understood about the 11 hour cook....try thinking about the 24 hours spent on the floor in front of the toilet praying for it to stop and promising that you will never eat pork again....

As long as the temp was over 130 or so it would be completely safe. Below that the risk is low. You killed off all living bacteria in the cook and then wrapped it so no new bacteria could easily get on it. The risk is primarily from spores spawning active bacteria. If it was still fairly warm when you took it out of the oven you are likely OK. If it was room temp, you may or may not be.

The safe thing to do is reheat it to 150+ before eating. That will kill any bacteria that grew last night. You will not get salmonella or ecoli and end up vomiting for 24 hours if you do that.

I would pull it and reheat in a pan to over 150. But I would not refrigerate again and reheat again.

Hows your medical coverage? How does the deductible compare with the the cost of a butt? Are you the only one who will be at risk?
Lost a week once in the hospital to food poisoning that we never found the cause for.

I spent 3 days in the ICU and 2 months of using a toilet 10 times a day recovering from a double E. Coli infection I picked up in Africa. Food poisoning can change your life. I realize this post conflicts with my earlier post.

Zofran, opiates, oral antibiotics, fatbag, you’re going to feel a little stick, refrigerated suppositories, CBC— Good Times, coinsurance, co pays, deductibles

Or just cook another butt.

I’ve no clue if it’s any good, that’s for you to decide.

However, based on what you’ve said- I’d trash it and start over

Last edited:
There is a lot of paranoia around these parts of the inter-webs. Bacteria are well understood by science, no need for mass hysteria.

Please keep in mind that many of the peeps who are worried about food poisoning also regularly eat burgers, steaks, and chops cooked well under what are recommended safe temperatures.

I think, in general, people read the internet and worry way too much. At the end of the day, know that getting sick is a possibility, but unlikely. I personally wouldn't waste the butt, but I live dangerously.

Back