Need Help Smoking 500 Chicken Leg Quarters

atate

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I have a Shirley 6 foot trailer unit that will be used to cook the above. I need a good recipe to use and ideas on the actual cooking process. I intend to use both hickory and oak wood as the fuel. Please send me your comments.

Wish I could help, but I have no experience with a cook that large. Just wanted to say "Hi" to a fellow Mississippian!

My 2 cents, after doing a fair number of quarters:
1) Wet brine for at least 6 hours prior to smoking. You can add flavorings to the brine like pepper and garlic, but you should rinse the quarters off before putting them on the smoker, so much of the additions to the salt brine will be wasted.
2) smoke hot-n-fast
3) finish them on a grill over open flame if you can to crisp the skin
4) as one of the links above advised, sauce at the end, not during the cook. This of course wont matter if you want to crisp the skin like in number 3
5) get them off as soon as they are at the minimum IT, since they will continue to cook and dry out

Hope this helps

Suzie Q Santa Maria seasoning and cook at 275 to 325. Have done chicken this way many times and always a big hit.

I do not remember the total number of bird parts. These we loaded till the rest of the ribs came off. 30X80 Shirley On this cook.

We have also had a Lang 60 and 4 UDS's full of bird parts.
We used Mad Hunky Meats seasonings donated for the vet cook. Thanks Rich!
Rich even came with Lang in tow to help!

Season as you prefer. I do not brine as most birds were brined before you purchase them.
We stay around 300* as when that much grease is dripping. Hitting 350* you might get a grease fire.

I agree with dads4

Dr. Baker and Chiavettas used cinderblock charcoal pits to cook massive amounts of chicken. Hot and fast is the key to great chicken. Either Dr. Baker's Cornell Chicken Marinade or Chiavetta's Chicken Marinade are great choices. The recipes are available on the web.

image.jpg

Hot and fast.300+ in the chamber.Helps crisp the skin.I sauce when the chicken hits 175 internal and let it sit in the heat for about 10- 15 minutes to set the sauce.Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust for the rub,hit it with Blues Hog TN Red at Saucetime.500 quarters is a LOT of chicken for 1 cook.Good Luck!

Back