MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #7771
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Here is my victim. 1.4# ribeye from Walmart. Can't go Carne Crosta since I'm certain the necessary heat just won't be there to let that rub reach its potential. And I don't have enough faith in this experiment to go S&P alone. So I'm using Montreal to try to get it over the hump.

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-02-2018, 05:42 PM   #7772
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Hooked. First impression of the skewers is that they are solid and easy to work with. My main impression is that the meet feels much more secure than the last skewers I used. They're not going anywhere. Not that they could slide of anyway, but they also aren't going to slide into each other. You can position them in whatever spacing you desire and I think they'll stay right there. I think it's bc of the v-shape of the skewers.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:44 PM   #7773
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

hooked the ribeye too. Perhaps this works better on grate? I don't think it'll fall--won't get that tender, I think. I'm confident the PBC can give good flavor. Just concerned about the searing coming up...

Old 01-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #7774
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Old 01-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #7775
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

I spent too much time with the lid off getting started, so temp is 310. I guess that's ok.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #7776
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Nice work KC. Looking forward to finished pics!
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

[I]Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast[/I].
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2018, 05:47 PM   #7777
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks Bob. More fire on the side close to intake. Doesn't usually happen but lid off probably contributed.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:18 PM   #7778
BigKing
Full Fledged Farker

KC- Very interested to see how this all turns out!

Did a fun butt cook with wings, brats and a naked fatty for NYE. Received a decent knife for Christmas so I decided to test it out by completely removing the fat cap on the butt. Glad to say that there was not a negative impact from doing so, the pork was as juicy and tender as always plus I increased by bark real estate. Will most likely remove the fat cap every time moving forward.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #7779
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKing View Post
KC- Very interested to see how this all turns out!

Did a fun butt cook with wings, brats and a naked fatty for NYE. Received a decent knife for Christmas so I decided to test it out by completely removing the fat cap on the butt. Glad to say that there was not a negative impact from doing so, the pork was as juicy and tender as always plus I increased by bark real estate. Will most likely remove the fat cap every time moving forward.
Sounds like a great cook, BK. Way to ring it in!

Old 01-02-2018, 07:14 PM   #7780
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

So the skewers are as good as advertised. Nothing amazing or revolutionary. They're skewers, so how exciting can they be? But I do like the quality, the design, the confidence the skewers give that what I put on there will stay exactly the way I position them. Easy. Good. I'm glad they were given to me as a gift.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:19 PM   #7781
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

The chicken kabobs were stupid-juicy. (new term? Only applies to grilling/smoking?). The recipe is nothing new for our house. But I did run into a timing problem. I was hanging the chicken and steak at the same time and the steak came up to sear-time before chicken was ready.

I could have finished the chicken on the GrillGrates along with the steak, but I really wanted to concentrate on steak for GrillGrates, so I finished chicken on the gasser. About 2 minutes per side on there and the result was incredible. Amazing chicken. Probably won't look like much, but rosemary ranch chicken kabobs on the PBC (and gasser) is legit.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #7782
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

$27 is kinda steep for 4 skewers, but nice as a gift.

Old 01-02-2018, 07:27 PM   #7783
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

I took the steak to just past 100*. That took about 45 minutes hanging for a ribeye that was 1.4# and about 1.5" thick. I took the lid off and put the GG's on, trying to get those puppies as hot as possible. I let em sit 10-15 minutes while the steak sat.

I got the thermogun out to measure the temp of the GG's. The highest I got was 431. (the highest I got at the time of the pic was 419)

Old 01-02-2018, 07:30 PM   #7784
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

OK, so how'd the GG's do? I was impressed. Better sear than I would have guessed for such a relatively low temp. As we all know, the best sear is an all-over sear-crust, which I did not get and I don't think is possible on PBC+GG's. But, I did get a nice result....

Old 01-02-2018, 07:33 PM   #7785
Kanco Connection
is One Chatty Farker

How bout the inside? It was very good. Not a perfect wall-to-wall, which is only attainable with other methods, but med rare for most of it. The hanging took it to just past 100* in 45 minutes at about 300, the sear on the GG's took about 6 minutes per side to get just shy of 130*.

Thanks from: --->

Tags
hanging meat, Hooking meat, Noah Glanville, PBC, PBJ, pit barrel cooker, pit barrel junior, pork butt, set it and forget it