Will It Keep?

LloydQ

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Howdy everyone. I picked up a cryovac Boston Butt Saturday with the intention of smoking it yesterday. However, I didn't feel well at all when I awoke.
Should I have any concerns about keeping it in the fridge until the 4th of July? The butcher had to retrieve it from the walk-in cooler, so I am positive that it not had been out on display for days.
What say ye?

Have had cryovacced Boston Butts in the fridge for more than 2 weeks before. Literally no issues whatsoever. This is why they are cryovacced. For your safety.

Bill,

I've had the opposite experience with cryovacced pork and not even close to the sell by date. Pork and chicken are very delicate and I've had issues with both kept more than a few days in the fridge while cryovacced. They start to stink pretty fast.

I'm with Bill, it'll be fine. Unless of course it was a 30% Yellow Tag sale. What's the sell by date on it?

That's less than a week. I'd cook it and even serve it to my sick grandma without any issues.

Bill,

I've had the opposite experience with cryovacced pork and not even close to the sell by date. Pork and chicken are very delicate and I've had issues with both kept more than a few days in the fridge while cryovacced. They start to stink pretty fast.

Same here.

That's less than a week. I'd cook it and even serve it to my sick grandma without any issues.

Now we know why Grandma is sick so much...

I think it's probable that it will be fine too, but what's the benefit? The risk is obvious.

Now we know why Grandma is sick so much...
I think it's probable that it will be fine too, but what's the benefit? The risk is obvious.
Never got anyone sick in over 35 years of cooking. But to each their own... Do what you think is best for you. Me, I grew up poor and don't like to waste food. Mom taught me to use your nose and have a backup plan. After you open the cryovac, let it sit out for a while, at least 20 - 30 minutes. If you smell it right after opening, you'll probably want to throw it out. After a rest, your nose will tell you if it's safe to eat.

Actually, the tip to open the cryovac and let it rest for a while, I learned here on the Brethren. Mom never bought anything in a cryovac, but she did teach me to use your nose.

I'd wash off the cryo-stink, let it air out - air dry for 20-30 minutes If it stinks after the airing out period - it's too far gone. Otherwise season it good and heavy, wrap it up and back in the fridge until you need to throw it on the smoker.

A secret to harvesting roadkill.....

Smell it. If OK Cook it. Of course we BBQ road kill here. :thumb:

When I worked for MoDot, we removed dead animal carcasses from the roadways. Some times deer could be salvaged for consumption. If the deer carcass had little damage, our guideline for harvesting was this - Warm body on a cold morning. Anything else was properly disposed.

Lager,

Juggy

Not sure how it works overseas but I keep cryovac meats in the fridge at 36f up until the consume-by date with no problems

Like one other post said, "freeze it, take it out when you're ready to use." With meat prices today why take a chance. I've taken previously vacumed packages of ribs and pork roast back because of the smell when I opened them.

Back