New Old Country Pit - Over n Under - I like it

Hey SmittyJonz......question about the Old Country Over and Under smokers......can you fit 8-10lb butts on the top rack ?

I couldn't tell if there is clearance from the pics and can't remember from the models I've looked at in Academy a while back.

Thing sounds like a smooth running smoker.

I hate that photobucket crapped out and the older pics aren't viewable. I'd love to see pics or vids of one of these bad boys loaded to capacity and running strong.

No. lacks about 1"-2" but ribs n briskets fit just fine.....if you had boneless or cut your butts down they'd fit.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251193&page=2

No. lacks about 1"-2" but ribs n briskets fit just fine.....if you had boneless or cut your butts down they'd fit.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251193&page=2

Thanks, man.

Capacity was a question because of some of the cooks I want to do on occasion. I have a buddy who were going to join forces on some charity cooks we want to do.

I'd need to add another WSM to get closer to where I want to be....but I'd rather have a true stick burner that'd get used more often for the family cooks.

I've seen these things in Academy but never really examined them very closely.

7 butts on my WSM running with the Guru would allow me to fool around more with six butts on this O/U and even a few more on the BigJoe if needed...assuming I was doing all the cooking from home.

The WSM is easily portable, though. Not sure how easy the O/U would be to load/unload in my truck without having to use a trailer.

I wish I had the funds and the garage space for a big Shirley trailer....all my problems would be solved. :becky:

From a couple of weeks ago ,ive had this smoker since April , it's been a learning experience with it
58ebc79c1cac7074eb34a9373284d771.jpg

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmDbk_W1KPg&t=194s"]Baby Back Ribs on the Over and Under Smoker - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVqRxGRFEQU"]Brisket on the Over and Under Old Country BBQ Pits Smoker - YouTube[/ame]

I asked this question elsewhere in another thread about a Brazos that I'm considering.

While in the store I gave the Over/Under a good look.

The firebox damper/baffle plate is easily opened & closed by using the handle on the side......but how you you "set" it a given position. It simply closed when I released the handle.

I must be missing something.

Damper handle on the side....

i turned the handle to fully open position......

When I turned loose of the handle...it closes.

Is there a catch or something that holds it into position ?

I like the capacities of the cooking chamber and firebox.

What's everyone getting on front-to-back temp differences ?

Side-to-side ?

Top-to-bottom ?

Sorry for all the questions......just working with limited room and funds and want a stick burner that will work smoothly and have a nice payload.

I have not had experience with the damper models - the first ones didn't have it. Bludawg's doesn't have one. They had complaints of the slit getting clogged with ash n grease and hard to clean so he was talking about adding a movable deflector/baffle to make it easier to clean. Is it fully closed in one position? On the originals it was a small half inch slit all the way across - you could not see the round holes unless you looked up inside there . Also talked about being able to shut off the cook chamber when just grilling in the firebox. this was when blue and I went to Laredo and met with Old Country and picked up our smokers almost 2 years ago.

Last edited:
What's everyone getting on front-to-back temp differences ?

Side-to-side ?

Top-to-bottom ?

Sorry for all the questions......just working with limited room and funds and want a stick burner that will work smoothly and have a nice payload.

I've had my O/U for a couples years now and it doesn't have that feature. The temps are hotter in the back, probably 50-60 degrees compared to the front. That's been my experience. As for side to side, that can vary as to how where in the fire box you built the fire and if the fire itself is hotter on one side. I've built a fire in what I thought was the middle 12 inches and I had a variance of 30-40 degrees left to right.

I wish the firebox wasn't as wide as the cook chamber. I think there is a lot of space that is being heated that doesn't have to be.

I like mine. I don't use the top rack that much and take it out for most cooks. The only thing that fits up their well are ribs, sausages, and CSR's. Butts are too thick and briskets points would come close to touching the top. I have put thinner butts up there, but there was a lot of scraping against the top, so I won't be doing it again.

I have not had experience with the damper models - the first ones didn't have it. Bludawg's doesn't have one. They had complaints of the slit getting clogged with ash n grease and hard to clean so he was talking about adding a movable. Actor yo make it easier to clean. Is it fully closed in one position? On the originals it was a small half inch slit all the way across - you could not see the round holes unless you looked up inside there . Also talked about being able to shut off the cook chamber when just grilling in the firebox. this was when blue and I went to Laredo and met with Old Country and picked up our smokers almost 2 years ago.

I need to get back in there and see what position it actually goes to when allowed to drop....there may be a gap there that is the desired position for slow'n'low smoking.

I also want to talk to the manager about possible discounts on the Brazos model they had.

That's really cool that you guys were able to road trip there and get yours from their shop. That's a heck of a contract they must have with Academy Sports in addition to the models they sale direct.

I've had my O/U for a couples years now and it doesn't have that feature. The temps are hotter in the back, probably 50-60 degrees compared to the front. That's been my experience. As for side to side, that can vary as to how where in the fire box you built the fire and if the fire itself is hotter on one side. I've built a fire in what I thought was the middle 12 inches and I had a variance of 30-40 degrees left to right.

I wish the firebox wasn't as wide as the cook chamber. I think there is a lot of space that is being heated that doesn't have to be.

I like mine. I don't use the top rack that much and take it out for most cooks. The only thing that fits up their well are ribs, sausages, and CSR's. Butts are too thick and briskets points would come close to touching the top. I have put thinner butts up there, but there was a lot of scraping against the top, so I won't be doing it again.

Great insight.

Thank you !!!

Bludawg posted several times maybe 20* difference front to back and 5-10* side to side - he likes to cook 300/325*.

Bludawg posted several times maybe 20* difference front to back and 5-10* side to side - he likes to cook 300/325*.

I've got another Maverick unit on the way, so I can do 4 way test. The run I did only got as high as 275*. I could do another run and test it at various temps and with or without water pan.

Good to know it runs well at 325+.

I've been in kamado world for the past several years and tend to run virtually all my cooks at 250-ish, 350-ish and 500+.

Ribs, butts, chuckies, briskets, chicken, sides, steaks and pizzas are most of what I do.

I like knowing that O/U has solid performance for where I want to be on all the meats. Doubtful it'll get much use on steak....but....they could easily be done in the firebox. :thumb:

Depends on what you mean by better. The O/U is not a traditional offset it is more like a RF with better baffling. The only similarity between a traditional offset and the O/U is they both burn wood. I'll never go back to a traditional offset the flavor I get on the O/U alone sold me on the design.

Boy she sure is purdy pa can we keep her

Back