Charcoal/Split Combinations

Macky

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I wanted to be able to choose smoke profiles that could be used on various proteins by adding specific wood species splits to the ash pan in my Deep South vertical. In order to do that, I needed to find a charcoal that is pretty much just a heat source without adding anything else. I found a good candidate in "FOGO", a Charcoal that originates out of South Florida. I ordered several bags and really like how it works in my smoker. I have Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Hickory splits from ARP Wood Products on order and was wondering what combinations of Charcoal/Wood you have used and liked on Pork, Beef and Chicken.

Mac

Last edited:
I'll let you have at it with that chart...great resource by the way.

The only thing I will add is smoking poultry. Every one of us likes something different...I'll say that right off the bat. I'm one of those people who think most "smoked" chicken I see is way to dark, and most "smoked" chicken I taste is way over smoked. I like a bird that doesn't look like a brisket (read: it doesn't look like a piece of lump charcoal), and one that has a light smoke flavor.

You have to remember that poultry soaks up the smoke like a sponge. When using charcoal as the heat source & wood as the smoke source I do not recommend using a full sized split. I would go with one or two fist sized chunks of wood...depending on the strength of flavor you get from that wood (this is where that handy chart above comes in).

Pecan or oak, I'd probably throw two chunks on there...hickory, I'd be more apt to just use one chunk. And my temps would be above 300 the entire cook.

I'll let you have at it with that chart...great resource by the way.

The only thing I will add is smoking poultry. Every one of us likes something different...I'll say that right off the bat. I'm one of those people who think most "smoked" chicken I see is way to dark, and most "smoked" chicken I taste is way over smoked. I like a bird that doesn't look like a brisket (read: it doesn't look like a piece of lump charcoal), and one that has a light smoke flavor.

You have to remember that poultry soaks up the smoke like a sponge. When using charcoal as the heat source & wood as the smoke source I do not recommend using a full sized split. I would go with one or two fist sized chunks of wood...depending on the strength of flavor you get from that wood (this is where that handy chart above comes in).

Pecan or oak, I'd probably throw two chunks on there...hickory, I'd be more apt to just use one chunk. And my temps would be above 300 the entire cook.

Cook - The splits that are coming are about 6x2x2 and were made especially for Deep South competition team cookers. I can't imagine needing more than a few but I'll need to play with that and see how much smoke is produced and for what duration. Good comments on the "Birds" and I'll probably go with a softer fruit wood and see how far the smoke penetration goes. Mac

Back