Freezer Dive - Whole Roaster Chicken

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I've already posted an entry into the freezer dive TD, but this could have been entered in its place.

Not on tonight's dinner menu -

EbZTnoJ.jpg

(standing on the edge of our yard which backs up to conservation land. A few winters ago about 8-10 of them did a number on the hedge of arborvitae at the back of our property. Grrr!!!)

This was on tonight's dinner menu (dated 9/28/2019). Time for it to be used -

rxhx6dV.jpg

Onto the Goldens', indirect around 325F with a chunk of pecan. Seasoned with Plowboys -

mbueXZl.jpg

Coming along -

AQ71fQB.jpg

Ever have one of those days where you totally botch the timing of a cook? This was one of them. I should have double checked the weight but for some reason I thought dinner would be ready between 6 and 6:30, with the bird being started at 4:00. I don't know why I thought it was about a 3 lb bird. :crazy: Oh well. The sides were done. :becky: And although this looks really pretty off the grill at the 2+ hour mark, my instincts and Smoke probe said otherwise -

LPJ9EdO.jpg

glJxzCh.jpg

So back onto the grill it went without the roasting pan and at higher temps for another 1:45. And finally it was done, for a late night 8 pm dinner. Flipping it with tongs takes its toll on the skin but at this point I wasn't going for presentation awards -

uoofLcu.jpg

blJ9WoO.jpg

Dinner is (finally) served with the sweet potatoes, dressing and turnip -

dbtcbai.jpg

xXuBVkS.jpg

Ac0scoX.jpg

OK, so was it worth the wait? You bet! Had I remembered to buy fresh cranberries, there would have been fresh cranberry sauce as well. Somewhat of a head start on Thanksgiving. And it uses up a roaster chicken that needed to come out of the freezer.

Thanks for checking out yet another freezer dive thread.

Regards,
-lunchman

Another fine freezer dive cook, Dom!

FYI, if you prefer this over your original Throwdown entry, you can submit this new one in the entry thread, indicating you'd like it to replace the original.

You said the deer wasn't on the dinner menu, that bird started getting the same idea. Glad you won that battle, and you reaped the spoils!! Very nice looking meal!

Beautiful bird, Dom! Your whole meal looks delicious!

Back