Pizza stone/heat deflector out of lava stone (basalt)?

maluszynski

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Hi good people,

I have found myself in Mexico.
And soon I will have a kamado cooker from Chargriller in the back yard. However this comes without the heat deflector or "smoking stone" as they call it, and these seem hard to get by here. So I was thinking maybe I could use a volcanic rock that is easy to get a hold of here (something like this https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.mx/MLM-935969388-comal-de-piedra-volcanica-2030-_JM)

Do you think this will do the job as a heat deflector in a kamado? Or is a clay pot tray better?

Are you able to get a pizza stone? That might possibly be a better, and more economical solution. It seems to me a clay pot tray would crack as that kind of clay is not made to be exposed to high temperatures.

My heat deflector is an old heavy ragged cast iron skillet that I cut the handle off. I found it cheap at a flea market. I use alum. pie pans in it to catch the grease. Works great and it will never wear out.

Last edited:
My heat deflector is an old heavy ragged cast iron skillet that I cut the handle off. I found it cheap at a flea market. I use alum. pie pans in it to catch the grease. Works great and it will never wear out.

How do you hold the pan in place?

I use the Grilldome Indirect Cooking Rack inverted (near the fire)

938__12151.1605649291.jpg

Back