MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #16
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big matt View Post
I've been throwing around making a switch from our big pig of a cooker to something smaller..I've cooked on lots of different ones but I wanted your opinions..what would you switch to if you could?
I went from hauling around a large'ish gravity fed and a WSM to a backwoods party & chubby (G2s). This was primary due to changing from a utility trailer where I could load up anything on wheels into it, to now a camper that I can't really put any cooker in. The WSM would fit, but I wanted 2 new toys anyways . So I needed to get something I could put in the back of a truck (though the backwoods I have are technically skinny enough to fit in the tiny camper door).

But I guess there are a few questions to ask such as, do you want multiple smaller cookers? "Smaller" is a relative term so going from a big JOS pig cooker to say a Stumps Prince or FEC 120 would be downsizing. Do you have limitations on size of how small you want to go? Does type of fuel matter? Will they be rolled into a trailer or will they have to be lifted? Does price matter?

What works for us may not work for you without a few more details.

Thanks from:--->

Old 04-11-2013, 09:35 AM   #17
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for all of the replies guys!..I appreciate the quality feedback thank you all.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
I went from hauling around a large'ish gravity fed and a WSM to a backwoods party & chubby (G2s). This was primary due to changing from a utility trailer where I could load up anything on wheels into it, to now a camper that I can't really put any cooker in. The WSM would fit, but I wanted 2 new toys anyways . So I needed to get something I could put in the back of a truck (though the backwoods I have are technically skinny enough to fit in the tiny camper door).

But I guess there are a few questions to ask such as, do you want multiple smaller cookers? "Smaller" is a relative term so going from a big JOS pig cooker to say a Stumps Prince or FEC 120 would be downsizing. Do you have limitations on size of how small you want to go? Does type of fuel matter? Will they be rolled into a trailer or will they have to be lifted? Does price matter?

What works for us may not work for you without a few more details.
no limitation on cost really..we will be pushing ifi to a toy hauler that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of the change..I'll still keep our MAK in the mix as well..so many options..I've cooked on most types that have been mentioned except a backwoods or Jambo..I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:

Old 04-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #19
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Pitmaker vault
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 09:49 AM   #20
Cast Iron Chef
is One Chatty Farker

I'm hoping to go the other way. I use 2 WSM's and a small cargo trailer. I hope to get a toy hauler and move up to a backwoods or FEC. I do love my WSM's though.
22.5" Weber One Touch Platinum
[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000][COLOR=RoyalBlue]Genesis[/COLOR] 3 Gasser
Bradley [/COLOR][/SIZE]Bisquette[SIZE=2][COLOR=#000000] Pooper
Bullpen BBQ Team
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Cast Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #21
Jason TQ

Quote:
no limitation on cost really..we will be pushing ifi to a toy hauler that's one of the reasons I'm thinking of the change..I'll still keep our MAK in the mix as well..so many options..I've cooked on most types that have been mentioned except a backwoods or Jambo..I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.
Gotcha. So really you could go with any suggestion that has been said. Pretty much all gravity feds run efficiently and are fuel efficient, as do FEC's, as do Backwoods, pitmakers, etc. You could probably put all the names in a hat and do a blind draw to make your choice and do well. That would be pretty fun actually . I say draw from a hat.

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #22
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Jambo or R&O offset will be my next smoker.... before the year is up I will have one or the other.

But I do LOVE my Backwoods Compeditor she is a Smokin' Machine!!!!

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #23
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
I'm really looking for something consistent temp wise and fuel efficient.
I can fill my charcoal basket up on a prewarmed vault with a few wood chunks and run over 20 hrs easy. If you were using them nasty kingsfor d's you could probably get over 30 hrs filled up. This setup went 10 hrs @300 the other day. Added a chunk of wood every 2 hrs. Just cruised along. once it ran out of fuel, it was 250 4 hrs later still. That was HEB hardwood briquettes 8.4lbs
Could have easily fit 3 bags=25#
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 11:51 AM   #24
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

You know I'm loving my FEC100 buddy! I know that you know all about it but if you want a run down we can talk next weekend in Victorville.
[LEFT]2014 American Royal Open RGC[/LEFT]
2014 American Royal Invitational Chicken Champion
2016 Jack Daniel's World Pork Champion
[LEFT]2014, 2015 & 2016 Arizona Team of the Year[/LEFT]
[url]www.lootnbootybbq.com[/url]
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 12:56 PM   #25
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post
Gotcha. So really you could go with any suggestion that has been said. Pretty much all gravity feds run efficiently and are fuel efficient, as do FEC's, as do Backwoods, pitmakers, etc. You could probably put all the names in a hat and do a blind draw to make your choice and do well. That would be pretty fun actually . I say draw from a hat.
Yeah that would be fun..I've cooked on FEC,big green egg,WSM's,CTO,lots of different stick burners and offsets..I want to give a gravity feed and backwoods a try soon..then I'll have a good idea..while I'd love a Jambo even the carts are tanks and I'm trying to kinda get away from pushing around another big pit..I really like the product that pellets produce(color,bark set time)but then you have to always worry about parts and electricity..hmmm..so many options.
Our website:

Old 04-11-2013, 01:02 PM   #26
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Backwoods!!!!! Get to sleep and enjoy my fav libation............but you know that already, dont you???

Honestly, for what we do, the BW's line are great cookers. Efficient and consistent, they always produce for us. To me there are to many variables in other cookers....and that doesnt include the need for someone to constantly feed the beast wood. Jambos are awesome cookers, no doubt about that, but they dont suit our cooking style.

Old 04-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
MAP
Full Fledged Farker

What does an empty Backwoods competitor weigh?

Old 04-11-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
JD McGee

We cooked on WSM's for the last 4 years but made the switch this season to MAK's for our big meats and chicken. We will still do our ribs on the WSM (or perhaps a Backwoods Chubby in the future) until MAK comes out with that water pan mod...hint...hint Bob! Lol! We are limited to weight as well so any heavy pits are outta the picture...for now.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #29
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ugly's BBQ View Post
Backwoods!!!!! Get to sleep and enjoy my fav libation............but you know that already, dont you???

Honestly, for what we do, the BW's line are great cookers. Efficient and consistent, they always produce for us. To me there are to many variables in other cookers....and that doesnt include the need for someone to constantly feed the beast wood. Jambos are awesome cookers, no doubt about that, but they dont suit our cooking style.
This speaks volumes to me Chris thank you..and I hear most people would favor a backwoods especially for ribs..and that's been our trouble meat lately..we cook kinda right in the middle(7hr cook)and cook by color and bark..I'm going to try the BW soon..maybe a gravity side by side so I could really see..plus our old girl has had a nice long run and can still put out great food but I think it screams to me sometimes..I'm tired let me stay home!..haha
Our website:

Old 04-11-2013, 01:51 PM   #30
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAP View Post
What does an empty Backwoods competitor weigh?
Website says, 350lbs. I think they are alittle heavier.....

Matt what I like about the BW's for ribs, is that, when Dan (or I) starts cutting the rack, we can pick any bone to use. With a WSM, or some other cookers, the end bones tend to get charred/overdone, and useless. This is hard, especially if the rack is a good one and you're trying to fill the box with that one rack.

My first BW's was a Party, and I used it with a BBQ Guru Caldera Tallboy. There were big differences between the two cookers, although both were vertical systems.

It's all about what you are trying to accomplish and the level of comfort you want in get that done. They are all good cookers........we wouldn't be talking about any of them, if they weren't............