MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM   #1
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default LG vs XL Big Green Egg

I have a question for those of you that use the Big Green Egg.

Given the choice and if money is not a concern, would you by a
Large or an X-Large Big Green Egg.

Is there any down side to the XL Green Egg? Does it cook as good or better then the large?

Please let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM   #2
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Lots more Eggcessories for the large.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 12:26 PM   #3
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

for me, the xl is just too heavy cause i move my eggs around so much. the reason i got the medium as my first egg was so i could pick it up and carry it into the rv for the nascar races. i strap it down between the twin beds in the back.

i'd say get the large and if that ain't enuf for ya, get another large.

with that said, i've never cooked on an xl, but i've seen one in action before.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 12:31 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

In looking at the BGE website, it looks like there is more space (not cooking surface) between the grate level and the dome on the Large compared to the XL.

Is the picture deceiving or are the dimensions not exactly proportionate for all models ?
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 12:43 PM   #5
Rick's Tropical Delight
** Permanent Timeout **

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
In looking at the BGE website, it looks like there is more space (not cooking surface) between the grate level and the dome on the Large compared to the XL.

Is the picture deceiving or are the dimensions not exactly proportionate for all models ?
i've never measured it, but it really looks different, the height of the dome. but you need to measure to the grid. the xl has an optional shorter fire ring i think (or is that taller, anyway, there's two), and you can put the grid on the firebox if you want.

that firebox on the xl is HUGE. i'm going to guess you'll use more lump just because the ceramic mass you are heating is larger. ask yerself how many times you'll need a 24" diameter grid compared to an 18" grid.
Rick's Tropical Delight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 PM   #6
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I have had two larges (one I resold before I ever cooked on it) and I now have an XL. I honestly like the large better. They are both GREAT cooking machines but the XL does cook a bit differently. The lump is much closer to the cooking great and so cooking without a plate setter is really iffy. The dome is much shallower as well.
The large has a lot more accessories and if you use a double cooking grate setup you can cook as much as with the XL. As Rick mentioned, the firebox on the XL is much larger and you do use a good bit more lump.

Don't get me wrong... I have made the adjustments and feel like I can cook just as well with the XL as with the large but I would trade you for a large and a medium or small in a second!!!

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-20-2008, 03:23 PM   #7
cmcadams
Quintessential Chatty Farker

But WITH the platesetter, how do they compare?

Livefire Whisky

CBJ, some comps, a few awards, Certified Artisan Steak Taster.

XL Big Green Egg, Bubba Keg Convection Grill, Weber Kettle, Charbroil Infrared and mad livefire cooking skillz! :)
cmcadams is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 04:43 PM   #8
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcadams View Post
But WITH the platesetter, how do they compare?
Well... as far as the actual cooking there is still a little bit of difference. Not a lot but a little. I think it has to do with the lump being closer to the bottom of the plate setter.

The real difference is in the ability to use the plate setter in different ways. With the large I felt comfortable putting the plate setter right on top to the fire ring so I could use two cooking grates. With the XL I have been reluctant to try it because the platesetter would be sitting basically right on top of the coals. I've heard of a two inch ring that you could put on the firebox but I have never actually seen one. That would help.

Like I said... I do really like the XL. I guess it just boils down to I think the large is more versatile.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2008, 06:21 PM   #9
scottyd
is One Chatty Farker

I just bought a large green egg this weekend. well actually today on the way home from Kansas City. from all I have read and listened to I went with the large, Right or wrong I decided I just had to have one for the house.

oh one other thing Doc BBQ was cooking on one in KC on saturday and I really did not show to much emotion but I knew I had to have it. Ray is the best.
[B]STUMPS 223[/B]
[B]STUMPS CLASSIC[/B]
[B]STUMPS PLATNUM BEING BUILT NOW[/B]
[B]WEBER KETTLE GOLD[/B]
[B]YOUR SILENCE WILL NOT SAVE YOU[/B]
scottyd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 02:32 AM   #10
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Bumping for current opinions on the matter.....

I'm considering this......again. :)

Old 01-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #11
cirk
is Blowin Smoke!

I have the large and when I cook for more than 4 people I wish I had the XL

Old 01-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

The XL is a really nice cooker but it guzzles charcoal compared to the Akorn. It's actually pretty mind blowing. If you are only going to use it on the weekends, it's not going to matter but if you use it a lot then this is seriously something to think about.

I use my grills just about every day and I've found that even though it's annoying to need space and not have it, that's actually kind of rare. A typical family of 4 could get by just fine on a medium or small for 90-95 percent of their cooks...it's the other 5% that drives you crazy.

But if you have an XL and you only need the space 5% of the time, then 95% of the time you are sitting there thinking, "Wow, look at all that money...I mean, charcoal...I'm burning for no reason."

It's not just the costs but the hassle factor of lugging all that fuel home. managing the ash, etc. There is something to be said for matching the cooker to you needs and not not settling for more or less than you need.

Just My 2 cents.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

I wrestled with this dilemna myself some time ago. I finally settled on the Large for the following reasons:

1. $699 on sale for the new model (longer handle).

2. Eggcessories seem to be more plentiful for the Large.

3. When I built my midi UDS (18.5"), I almost never used my bigger drum.

4. I figured that it would make more sense to buy a second egg at some point (maybe a Medium) for more space or keeping a different temp going e.g. cook steaks on one then move to another to sear or vice versa.

5. I heard that the XL can be a fuel hog.

I've been very happy with my LGBE so far.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
K80Shooter
Full Fledged Farker

I've never used a large but I do have the x-large. I wouldnt swap it for anything. I dont really see how it can use that much more lump if youy use it correctly. I shut mine down when I'm finished and reuse the leftovers next time. Also I sometimes just move the lump to one side and put the meat on the other side for a indirect cook without the plate setter. This works great for a reverse sear. I doubt you would have room in the large to do this.

It mainly just boils don to how many people you will be cooking for. On a normal night it's just me and my wife, a lot of times my youngest son, his wife and 2 kids will come over and during holidays as many as 16 could show up. With the x-large I can cover it all.

Almost forgot. Over the holidays we smoked a 20lb fresh ham. I filled it with lump when we started and 16 hours later when it was done I still had lump left and never added any during the cook. Thats pretty good if you ask me.

Old 01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #15
DubfromGA
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all the opinions. I'm glad I found this site!

I should've added that one my families favorites are ribs. I prefer to lay them flat. I can only do three racks (one has to be smallish) this way on my Akorn.

The extra room sure would be nice.